How to get gold out?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRIEST562

Ok first off I don't know what I did I used muraitic acid & hydrogen peroxide & air bubbler to remove foils off cell phones Im sure I used to much chemical because I got some loose foils but some of the foils on the boards were big and nowhere in sight in solution so I think some gold dissolved in the a/p solution .... should have done a lot more research next thing I do is add some Stump Out to precipitate the gold which it didn't because the flakes that didn't dissolve didn't react to the Stump Out so I heard somewhere that I can use bleach to dissolve the remaining flakes I pour in the bleach and after sometime the flakes dissolved i heat the solution to a boil adding Stump Out nothing I pour half the solution aside I keep boiling the rest after about 4hours I let it cool overnight next morning solution is now dark brown & yellowish I filter it and at the bottom there are crystals I think it's the Stump Out I used anyhow does anyone know what I have here or what to do to get the gold out? Waiting on some nitric acid I ordered to try something else any ideas?

PRIEST562 said:
I think ... should have done a lot more research
Hold your horses and stick a copper bar (or other material) in it and let it be. The only thing you can do after sticking a copper bar in it is to read and study, you will need to take some time off the gold fever, take a deep breath and use punctuation when writing so we can understand you better. I'd suggest you start with http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21374

Marco

Gold plating on boards usually is ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold) and is a lot thinner than plating on fingers. Large areas breaks up and all you are left with is small pieces like a fine sparkling mud.

Reading it again... you did what? Put SMB in first and then bleach? I don't think that's a good idea. You have made a big mess.

What did stannous testing suggest? Was the solution positive for gold before you added SMB? Is it positive now?

Göran

Goran said:
Gold plating on boards usually is ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold) and is a lot thinner than plating on fingers. Large areas breaks up and all you are left with is small pieces like a fine sparkling mud.

I might mention that true immersion gold is a cementation process that's formulated to give a bright adherent gold deposit. However, its thickness is limited. When the nickel on large, non-wear areas, such as on a cell phone board, is totally covered with gold, the immersion gold stops depositing and can get no thicker. The thickness at this point is in the order of, say, 4 millionths of an inch thick. In money terms, that's about 4.7 cents per square inch of plating, at a $1160 gold spot. Not worth much. On the other hand, gold on average fingers is about 7.5 times thicker, or about 35 cents per square inch.

Back