Need little guidance about extracting platinum from CatConverters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dispersion

Hello guys, first thread/post here. I am really glad I have found this forum but you will get to meet me later.Lets get to my question.I have few catalytic converters and I know you can extract/melt/dissolve (call it however you want) noble metals from it.
Basically I want little start-up help on how to do it the fastest and most productive way.
I am asking if its possible to link me any direct tutorial/guide/video on everything that works as my searching wasnt so effective.

So far I am testing with hydrochloric acid and I was wondering if you can tell me any other methods that will save me time to refine or split the metals from the residues.
I am open for any ideas as long as they work.
Owing a beer to anyone who helps me as well. :wink:

Dispersion said:
Hello guys, first thread/post here. I am really glad I have found this forum but you will get to meet me later.Lets get to my question.I have few catalytic converters and I know you can extract/melt/dissolve (call it however you want) noble metals from it.
Basically I want little start-up help on how to do it the fastest and most productive way.
I am asking if its possible to link me any direct tutorial/guide/video on everything that works as my searching wasnt so effective.

So far I am testing with hydrochloric acid and I was wondering if you can tell me any other methods that will save me time to refine or split the metals from the residues.
I am open for any ideas as long as they work.

Per the underlined, they are all three completely different things.

Catalytic converters cannot economically be processed via wet methods.
Smelting is the best bet. A member named Kurtak has a great thread giving an explanation as to his venture in the cat world. :arrow:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20573

There really isn't a quick and easy way to do ANY precious metal recovery, ESPECIALLY platinum and her sister metals.

When you say testing HCl, what do you mean exactly?
I bet some of the Pd has went into the initial HCl leach (assuming it was just on the cat beads/innards), and it will need to be reduced out.
Dont get any on your skin, wear gloves. Platinum group metals are highly toxic in solution.

There is a whole lot to learn in PM recovery and refining, surely several lifetimes of study, should you have the drive to do so.
This forum is the absolute best place to learn. But, you can't really think of it in terms of "quickly" as possible, but shift that paradigm to "safely" as possible. Platinum group metals have claimed more than one life in their time, and surely will continue to, as men seek to get rich quick.

I do not mean to deter, but only mean to keep new members safe, as others did with me.
Welcome, and enjoy your stay.

Dispersion said:
I have few catalytic converters and I know you can extract/melt/dissolve (call it however you want) noble metals from it.

Yes you can recover the PGMs (or at least *some*) from CATs --- BUT --- it will cost you MORE in time AND money then the value of the PGMs you recover. (that's a period at the end of the sentence)

Dispersion said:
I have few catalytic converters and I know you can extract/melt/dissolve (call it however you want) noble metals from it.
Easy, sell it. You get more money in the end if you only have a few. (Few = less then hundreds of thousands and a foundry available.)
Dispersion said:
Make mine a guinness. :mrgreen:

Göran

Back