Preview of Electrolytic Process- Equipment List

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazersteve

Staff member
Greetings forum members and browsers,

As promised I'm putting together pictures and videos of the eletrolytic process from scrap to nugget. I'm going to intentionally be brief in this preview in hopes that it will spark some replies and new topic posts from the browsers and members. If I get good feedback on this sample photo I'll move foward with editing my videos which will be posted when Noxx, the forum admin, returns from the woods.

01equipmentoverviewcl6.jpg

02chargercloseupai5.jpg

I know it's not much now but let's see what each of you have to say about it. I'll post more as you comment.

Steve

Are your clamps stainless? I'm having trouble finding stainless clamps. If you know a good source please tell. I was thinking maybe a medical supply house.

Yes,

Google BU60X from RS Electronics.

Jennifer Albany email:jalbanys@rselectronics

Tell her lazersteve sent you.

Steve

Nitrate,

I use the Glycerin formula.

The cathode is lead.

Here's my main one:

cathodesk2.jpg

I'm putting together a series of short videos on the entire process to help the forum members.

I'm working on the videos everyday.

Steve

Steve
If you need some web hosting or space to put your files,videos
let me know.I have a server with some room to spare.
thankyou

Thanks for the offer, web space isn't the hold up. I'm waiting on Noxx to return as he has already reserved some space on the forum site for this type of content.

Steve,

From the info I have read, It looks like a good amount of materials. The one thing I might add are a couple of buckets, one with some baking soda and hot/warm water(for nutralizing spills and hands when taking a break) and one with hot/warm water and soap for washing hands and cleaning up after spills).

Where can I find a 10amp battery charger??

thanks
Lew

You're right Lew,

I left my pitchers out of the photo because they had product in them.
I use two 1 gallon pitchers for my diluting and filtering vessels. You'll see these in the upcoming video. I have quit using soda in my distilled H20 rinse because I combine these rinses, for minimum losses, with my batch before I dilute and filter. I usually run my cell for a full month (on and off of course) before filtering the gold out. I filter my rinse cup (also not in the original picture, but included below) every few days, refilling it with fresh distilled H2O to keep it from getting too acidic.

10cathodesoakingbh2.jpg

I bought the charger pictured at the local Discount Auto Parts Store for $42. Be sure you get the manually operated type as the electronically controlled ones don't work well for this application. Also you will need to make sure it has a 6V selection and analog ammeter.

Thanks for the post.

It would be great if you could post some images of your work.

Steve

Nitrate,

Not at this time, but I'm looking into the problems associated with this. I hope to have something to test soon. I have some ideas but no experiments yet.

I'l keep you posted.

Steve

hey steve i wanna give that we have you on the forum

im starting my cell i just bought a battery charger that has to settings

1st one is 6 volts with 6 amps /and the other 12 volts six amps

would this be good or do i need a 10 amp

would setting it on 12volts 6 amps be better

PM,

The 6A will do for starters. The amount of current draw will depend on the number and size of anode (positive) items you put in the cell at one time. I started with a 6 A and burnt it out after I abused it with heavy loading. The 10 A has handled everything I've thrown at it to date. The 10 A will not suffice for extra large batches of pins (>1/2 lb). The largest single anode load I've done to date was 1/4 pound at one time and it pegged my 6A model. That's how I burnt out my 6A unit. Suffice it to say, if you stick with what you've learned so far from the forum the 6A will do nicely. I've heard tales of using a 50A (
skullnbonessmallrevip5.jpg
) charger and larger!!!

Keep the volts at 6V.

Steve

Steve,

I have a 50A but use it at the 10A setting. I tried it at the 50A setting but didn't really notice much difference in process time. Maybe if it was something larger than pins it would make a difference.

All,

The amperage drawn is proportional to the amount of gold placed in the cell. The more gold the more current draw from the charger. If you only put one small item in the cell at a time the current won't go over one amp. If you try to process one pound of pins in one batch the current draw shoots up until the gold is reverse plated then the current drops back down when the gold has been removed. I'm posting a slideshow demonstrating this tonight, I've got to be able to get away from the forum posting long enough to work on the two videos and this slideshow. I'm hoping to have them all up before midnight eastern time. I'll get on the slideshow first, and post it shortly.

Steve

RS Electronics has a $50 minimum order. Same clips at same price can be found at:
http://www.ace4parts.com
Can order with paypal or other.

The voltage must be between 5-6 volts, excessive amperage (>10 Amps) could possibly destroy the anodes if too great. I would stick with the charger unless upscaling the device by many factors.

Steve

Back