Beginner books, and beyond.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher_osAUrus

I have amassed fair amount of books, but there are still many I am actively searching for. And I am certain there are many that I have never even heard of.

The majority of these I have read cover to cover, a couple are mainly just reference books for me.

I spent a rather sad amount of time debating how to organize the books in this list, which made me contemplate if I should rearrange my shelf. I conceded.. ...anyways.

**-Books on my shelf or in my bag:
*Noble Metals by Jeffrey St. John, Time Life/Planet Earth books
*Gold in the Ancient World by Ram
*Gold by Brian Kettell
*Everything You Wanted to Know About Gold by Russel Burkett
*Testing Precious Metals by CM Hoke
*Refining Precious Metals by CM Hoke
*De Re Metallica by Agricola/Hoover
*Small Scale Refining of Jeweler's Wastes by Loewen
*Metallurgy of Gold by TK Rose
*Recovery and Refining of Metals Dr. G. Gore
*The Principles of Applied Electrochemistry by Arthur J Allmand
*Electro-Deposition, a Practical Treatise on the Electrolysis of Gold, Silver, Copper, Nickel, and Other Metals and Alloys by A. Watt
*Silver: Economics, Metallurgy, and Uses by Butts and Coxe
*Gold: Recovery, Properties, and Applications by EM Wise
*Cyanide Practice 1910 to 1913 by Von Bernewitz
*Technical and Industrial Platinum by J. bishop and Co
*Platinum Metals and Their Alloys
*Platinum Group Metals and Compounds
*Organometallic and Coordination Chemistry of Platinum
*Principles of Metallography by Williams and Homerburg
*Beryllium and the Rare Minerals by Raymond Maulsby
* CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (33rd and 52nd)
0525171040.jpg
0525171041.jpg
I think thats all, one or two aren't pictured (besides the ones I recently ordered...I hate waiting for the post! Especially when they are from overseas)

##-Books I am waiting on to arrive/Books I just bought:
#Corrosion in Action by International Nickel Co
#Rapid Identification of Some Metals and Alloys by INCO
#Palladium by EM Wise
#Condensed Chemical Dictionary by Rose
#Metallurgy of Gold by M Eissler

$$-Books I am wanting/looking for a good, reasonably priced copy of:
$ Any other books by EM Wise
$ Any other refining related International Nickel Co books
$ IPMI stuff
$ A copy of GSP's book (I have looked and looked and looked!)
$ Intro to Metallurgy by Prof Roberts Austen
$ Metallurgy of Silver and Gold by Dr. Percy

Also open to any other suggestions as well.

I was going to go over the books, writing a small synopsis of each one and the value to a beginning refiner, etc... So new people who also love to read, would have a good idea of what books are best to purchase first, and which ones could wait until later. But, this post is already pretty long. So, only if there is great interest will I do it. Or maybe we can start a GRF book club and share/discuss what we find interesting in the book that we have read! ...I don't know about anyone else (this may seem sacrilegious to some), but I annotate all of my books when reading them. Writing down pertinent information, or curiosities in need of further study. It helps to keep the train of thought, and grasp new concepts (for me anyways)

Anyways, thanks for suffering through this, if any of you have any books for sale that I don't have, please contact me!

There are a few assaying books I plan to order soon, as well as a book on dental alloys. I just forgot to add that to the previous post. I can add the names of them when I get back to my notebooks.

I couldn't see "C.W. Ammen, Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals, Second Edition" in your list. Might fit well in with your other books.

Sorry, don't have a copy to sell. :wink:

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I couldn't see "C.W. Ammen, Recovery And Refining Of Precious Metals, Second Edition" in your list. Might fit well in with your other books.

Sorry, don't have a copy to sell. :wink:

Göran

Yes sir!, that is one I forgot to put in the "looking for" list.
I believe (may be mistaken), that he had another book as well? I have his book on my laptop and phone in pdf form, but I very much prefer to have a physical copy of the book to hold in my hand and read. ...and, book pages don't get that annoying glare in the sun that my phone does.

Maybe this one?
https://books.google.se/books/about/Prospecting_with_the_Blow_Pipe.html?id=kCgzQwAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Göran

Topher_osAUrus said:
$ A copy of GSP's book (I have looked and looked and looked!)
GSP's book is available through his signature line. As far as I know, it has never been printed in hard copy. Order it from him and you'll have to print your own.

Dave

Back in the 90s there was some of his books printed up.
Apparently "a man named sue" had his hands on one.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=287

Ever since I read that, I will often check online book stores and ebay for it. I do need to order his ebook/cd though. Was just wanting to be one of the privileged few to have the old bound book.

Maybe he will read this and have me type up his new book while he dictates it to me. :) (I can type pretty fast gsp, used to do 120wpm..no 1 finger plucker here ...unless im on my phone :roll: )

Try Chapman's book on smelting gold and silver. Very practical, for the layman. It's in the library index thread, I just updated the links as Legend had moved the books.

I went to the link from Sue. He listed Gajda book.

Gold Refining by George Gajda

I have that book and it isn't worth its weight in kindling! So many mistakes. He must have followed around a few workers at a refinery back in the day when they didn't want to tell you much (actually that's still true) but they didn't tell him much and he still wrote the book!

4metals said:
I went to the link from Sue. He listed Gajda book.

Gold Refining by George Gajda

I have that book and it isn't worth its weight in kindling! So many mistakes. He must have followed around a few workers at a refinery back in the day when they didn't want to tell you much (actually that's still true) but they didn't tell him much and he still wrote the book!

Yeah, I had read on another thread here that there were numerous mistakes in that book, so it has not been on my "must have" book list. But, I will certainly be on the look out for Chapman's book. Thank you.

A book that is in my list, that I was not very pleased with (it was cheap, too cheap) is the "everything you wanted to know about gold" by Burkett. I had only seen mention of it here once, so I should have known that it was not going to be the best read.. But, ya' get what ya' pay for I suppose.

Just got my copy of Palladium by Wise in the mail. I will probably read it next just because I really liked his Gold book, although much of it was way over my head when I first read it...and probably will be when I read it again

Topher_osAUrus said:
Back in the 90s there was some of his books printed up.
Apparently "a man named sue" had his hands on one.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=287

Ever since I read that, I will often check online book stores and ebay for it. I do need to order his ebook/cd though. Was just wanting to be one of the privileged few to have the old bound book.

Maybe he will read this and have me type up his new book while he dictates it to me. :) (I can type pretty fast gsp, used to do 120wpm..no 1 finger plucker here ...unless im on my phone :roll: )
In 1989 or 1990, there was a scrap metal dealer in Iowa that was printing and selling maybe 30 different books, mainly to the scrap metal industry. Some were excellent. He somehow heard about my book and I gave him permission to print and sell it. He sold a lot of spiral bound copies for $67 and sent half the money to me. After about 6 or 8 months, the guy died and it all came to a screeching halt.

After Harold banned Sue, I corresponded with Sue by email for awhile. Bright, nice guy and well experienced in the trade. His big problem was that he and Harold hated each other and Sue was quite vocal about this. If Harold didn't like you, you were gone. I think I'm the lone exception. I remember that Sue and I discussed my book but I don't remember how he obtained it.

Just to update, and add what else I have obtained recently.
I was stuck at home for a couple weeks, so I went a little overboard ordering books to have a physical copy of (just in case the internet dies :roll: ).. Not a bad thing, but since we are moving to my hometown soon... I kind of regret making my library 4 times as big (...no i dont..)

I may have already listed a couple of these in the initial thread, if so, sorry.

*An encyclopedia of Metallurgy and Materials
*Mechanics of Materials - -Cox
*Phase Diagrams in Metallurgy --Rhines
--(sister book to "Principles of Metallography")
*Dental Metallurgy -- E.A.Smith
*Working in Precious Metals -- E.A.Smith
*The Metalcasters Bible - - Ammen
*Electroplaters Handbook --Ammen
*Electro-platers Handbook --Bonney
*Langbeins Electro-deposition of metals - Brannt
*Electro-plating and Refining -- Watt and Philip
*Electro-metallurgy -- Watt
*Electro-Analysis --Smith
*Metallurgy of Lead and Silver (pt 2, Silver) -- H. collins
*Gold and other Precious Metals --Morrow
*The Chemistry of Familiar Things --Barrett
*Gold. --Tocci (a kids book, my sons love what I do)
*Precious Metals. --McGachie and Bradley
*Precious Metal Digest 1983-84
*Corrosion in Action --INCO
*Rapid Identification, spot testing of some metals and alloys -INCO
*Iridium. --INCO
*Uranium. -- Bullock
*Analytical Chemistry of Ruthenium -- Avtokratova
*Analytical Chemistry of the Nobel Metals -- Beamish
*Fourteen Weeks in Chemistry -- Steele
*Strong Water -- Chilton
*Acids,Bases and the Chemistry of the Covalent Bond --Vanderwerf
*Salts, Acids, and Bases -- Walden
* Acid Deposition
*Granddads Wonderful vook of Chemistry --Saxon
*Granddads wonderful book of Electricity --Saxon
*The secrets of Gold and Silver Scrap --GSP

There are still some books I am looking for a good hardcover copy of
-Ammen on Platinum
-Recovery and Refining -Ammen
-How to smelt your gold and silver -Chapman
-IPMI symposiums
- ..and anything else that may be worth adding to my ever growing shelf
0712171233.jpg
All of them cant fit on my shelf anymore.. Guess when I move Im going to have to put up a few of them in my office.

*Im still planning on buying about 4 or 5 books on Assaying after I get settled in, as finishing my furnace is one of the first things Im doing.

A few of those books that I have listed are great, really, really great books. I still, one day, want to write a small synopsis/overview of each of them, but that will have to be during the cold winter months, as thats a lot of writing.

I will suggest a couple that you may find helpful.

Handbook of Electrochemistry by/edited Cynthia G. Zoski
Uhlig's Corrosion Handbook

Both are very good books and can benefit the basic beginner as well as the more advanced.

Shark said:
I will suggest a couple that you may find helpful.

Handbook of Electrochemistry by/edited Cynthia G. Zoski
Uhlig's Corrosion Handbook

Both are very good books and can benefit the basic beginner as well as the more advanced.

Thank you kindly, for the suggestions
I have purchased Uhlig's book, and downloaded Zoski's (the wife would probably kill me if I spent a few hundred on a book right now..)

I must say though, that your copper cell updates have been excellent. And have had me reading and rereading my electrolysis books, because I am wanting to try something.. Instead of 2 stock pots. I'm thinking of just cementing on iron, melting the copper and traces of pm's (and other metals) and running it through a copper cell. Next time you do an update, I will post some of my findings of interest (in the books) in your thread.

As a side note,
I finally found an IPMI book, from the 1997 conference.
In their "books" listed in the beginning, it has George Gajda's book listed. Which I kind of found a bit funny after reading the review of it posted at the beginning of this thread by 4metals, ...Also had a few others I have, and want to have... So I will keep on the lookout for IPMI stuff.

Thanks again!

Instead of 2 stock pots. I'm thinking of just cementing on iron, melting the copper and traces of pm's (and other metals) and running it through a copper cell. Next time you do an update, I will post some of my findings of interest (in the books) in your thread.

:D I wish I had something left in my stock pot to work up...I do have a growing collection of cell slime's though....

Right now I am working on reading Design of Copper Electrowinning Circuit Using Conventional Cells by Joseph Kafumbila. I really haven't got that far into it yet, but it seems fairly interesting.

Shark said:
Right now I am working on reading Design of Copper Electrowinning Circuit Using Conventional Cells by Joseph Kafumbila. I really haven't got that far into it yet, but it seems fairly interesting.

I am reading "The principles of applied electrochemistry" by Arthur Allmand. I got it originally as a reference book, but I found that I couldnt stop reading it.

It is good, really good. A lot of the other electro books I have focus on the economics of running (which is hard to compare 13s 2d per day (from 100 years ago) to todays US money..)and dance around the pertinent details.

But this book, focuses on, well..the principles of it all.
What happens at the electrodes, in the electrolyte, how it wants to find equilibrium, oxidation effects from atmosphere on CuSO4 (and other) electrolyte (and how it alters deposition), polarization effects, concentration of solution effects. Literally every aspect of electrolysis is covered.

It really is a good book...dare I say, excellent book.
I got my reprint copy for $30 I think.
Was worth every penny

A very interesting book. I did pick up a few ideas there and need to read through it again. Those old books are like videos for me, it isn't what they want to teach sometimes, but the little useful tips that popup here and there.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Shark said:

I am reading "The principles of applied electrochemistry" by Arthur Allmand. I got it originally as a reference book, but I found that I couldnt stop reading it.

It is good, really good. A lot of the other electro books I have focus on the economics of running (which is hard to compare 13s 2d per day (from 100 years ago) to todays US money..)and dance around the pertinent details.

But this book, focuses on, well..the principles of it all.
What happens at the electrodes, in the electrolyte, how it wants to find equilibrium, oxidation effects from atmosphere on CuSO4 (and other) electrolyte (and how it alters deposition), polarization effects, concentration of solution effects. Literally every aspect of electrolysis is covered.

It really is a good book...dare I say, excellent book.
I got my reprint copy for $30 I think.
Was worth every penny
Think of setting up shop where electricity is cheap. The household rate here is $.07 per KWH. There used to be a Chlorine plant nearby that used to supply the Paper Mills in tank car quantities. They are still trying to clean up the Mercury contamination from that one. It just about bankrupted Merck.

Iggy-poo said:
Think of setting up shop where electricity is cheap. The household rate here is $.07 per KWH. There used to be a Chlorine plant nearby that used to supply the Paper Mills in tank car quantities. They are still trying to clean up the Mercury contamination from that one. It just about bankrupted Merck.

I am actually going to put up solar panels and a couple small self-made wind turbines to feed a battery bank, to power my shop. That way my economic footprint is as small as possible.

I wish I had a river running through my property! (Although I'm sure the government would not allow me to dam it up and use it to power my stuff. :lol: )

Topher_osAUrus said:
Iggy-poo said:

I am actually going to put up solar panels and a couple small self-made wind turbines to feed a battery bank, to power my shop. That way my economic footprint is as small as possible.

I wish I had a river running through my property! (Although I'm sure the government would not allow me to dam it up and use it to power my stuff. :lol: )

No dams are allowed to be built for electricity. The big companies have seen to that as well as bought a few of the small ones and dismantled them around here. You can't even use an existing dam and reinstall the generator for personal or public consumption. Wind is another one that can be used, but the nature is you need a steady wind. Winds that are erratic can pose problems, especially if they don't blow for days at a time. A local power company wanted to try wind turbines, the only suitable spot turned out to be a local landmark, and well loved by the local people. That didn't work to out to well for the company. Solar is much the same as wind, but can be used easier, (my opinion). With both wind and sun, the battery bank capacity is the major factor here. Still, on a small scale, either would be a big benefit even if it was only usable on limited a scale. Given the opportunity I want to try solar.

Back