Reaction flask

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnwillow

What reaction flasks do you guys use?

I am thinking of upgrading the vessel for my reaction flask. Currently I use a 4L erlenmeyer with side tube.

Now if I were to switch to a 10L reaction vessel, all I see is in the market are round bottom flasks or boiling flasks.
If its that big how does one remove solids and/or the liquid from such a big flask?
Example pregnant AR or gold left out from nitric digestion?

Maybe you'll enjoy this old thread:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7349

Lino1406 said:
Old Buchner was frustrated to hear that HIS flask is called "Erlenmeyer with a side tube"

:lol: :lol: :lol: - I've always called it a watcha ma call it with a thinging ma bob

autumnwillow - the "side tube" is called a barb

Kurt

Haha

Lino it really is an erlenmeyer with a side tube! Hehe. See this thread http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26859
I don't think its proper to call it a filtering flask because it shatters when used in a vacuum.

Cuchugold, they were not talking about reactors but mostly about atomizing. I did enjoy the thread though.

The best reaction vessels are the round bottom flasks with a 4” conical head. A versatile size for a small refiner is 12 liter. Even my big old fat hands can reach into the bottom of the flask. They require a heat mantle for heating and accept clamp on reactor heads which allow you to attatch condensors and tubing.
C368FD70-078F-4B2A-AB35-F6E9BFC1DD40.jpeg
They come in 12 and 22 liter sizes and both sizes are easily lifted to empty them. The 50 and 72 liter sizes are too big to lift and are usually mounted on a stand allowing the vessel to be poured out by pivoting on a center pin.

Attachments

• EEB6B10B-D636-4246-A6D7-6580AECDA22F.jpeg
    EEB6B10B-D636-4246-A6D7-6580AECDA22F.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 293
The heads that clamp on will fit every reactor with the same size 4” conical head. The photo in the post above clearly shows the clamps that keep the head on while a reaction is going on. This is what the heads look like.
E69F5D1B-550A-4B1F-85C2-F1199F23C28C.jpeg
The top fitting gets a plug which is removed to add acids, the side angled fitting is for the condenser attachment. I have them made so the condensate return drips into the head and doesn’t run down the side of the head. If the clamp isn’t on right, the condensate can leak out if it runs down the inside. The return extension fixed that.

I like to use flex teflon hose to connect the condenser to the head. It allows the condenser to be permanently mounted on the wall and never have to be moved once set. Solves a lot of breakage issues. The flex hose is visible in the first photo in the post above.

Some refiners set these reactors up in the open connected to exhaust ducting and some put them in hoods. If you can add the acids cold and allow the reaction to cool off (usually overnight) then the funes are not bad and you can get away without a hood. If you are in a hurry then use a hood.
3AEAB5FB-4D60-4305-9FB0-A7D0EC036538.jpeg
16CF03C3-E2D7-42BE-AACD-0817185B8CF0.jpeg

4metals said:

I do love when you start sharing pics of well made equipment. It humbly reminds me of where I've been, and the direction I'm heading.

The transition from small bench size glassware to pilot size batch processes is tricky, and difficult to get used to. Everything seems to be about patience and organization of the process and the space. Seemingly big errors can be a small hiccup and seeming small errors can be huge setbacks.

Thanks!!

Actually, thinking....

Do you have any photos of the area where you dump your reactors? And likely set up to filter? This is the area I have the most difficulty envisioning.

Right now I am doing my digestions in the hood, but when it comes time to filter or pour off, it has to be done on the floor. As much as I hate to admit it, my arms are wearing some nice brownish purple stains today from some splashback. Very frustrating, but I know that this is the "area" where I need the most work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well there are plenty of small to medium sized refiners out there using Buchner funnels and vacuum jugs. The down side to this is the lifting of the full vacuum jug, most are 5 gallons of heavy, wet, slippery glass which contains all of your dissolved gold. The potential for disaster always concerned me and I came up with a viable option.

The solution needs to be transferred to a funnel and tabletop Buchner funnels work best. The system that I have made and installed in a good number of refineries requires a strong vacuum. Basically you pull a strong vacuum into a receiver vessel which is elevated above the hood. The solution is sucked through the Buchner funnel and into the receiver. When the receiver is full, the vacuum shuts and the jug is vented and the solution is drained out the bottom into the vessel where you will drop your gold. There are safety measures to prevent overfilling and a spray rinse system to rinse the equipment clean after use so it doesn't hold values. This is what the unit looks like on top of a hood before it is installed and plumbed.
IMG_0850.jpg
The bottom of the vessel is visible inside the hood so you can see when it is filling or empty.
IMG_0845.jpg
This is the unit filling from a funnel below with water as a test run.
IMG_1687.jpg
And this is the spray rinse after draining
IMG_1688.jpg
The reactor in a walk in hood with the vacuum receiver on top of the hood looks like this
IMG_1691.JPG
What isn't showing is the cart mounted tabletop Buchner funnel which fits under the reactor when it is tipped to drain. The acid from the receiver drains out the hose you can see hanging which is directed to whatever you want to drain into for the next step. These units are also used to decant off the spent acid once the gold is dropped to separate the waste from the precipitate.

I have built these units as small as 22 liters, the photo's are of 72 liter flasks, but I installed a 200 liter QVF receiver 25 feet above the floor in the center of a refinery once and there was never any problems with the liquids filtering quickly and ascending the tubing up to the receiver.

The receivers are never left with acid for long periods, they are drained when filtration is complete so the hoses and valves spend most of their life without chemical exposure so their life is quite long.

It's not so much that it would apply to my situation as it is seeing an awesome solution to a real problem. When you consider the value contained in a 4 liter flask or even 12 liter full of pregnant leach, the overhead of setting up a slick system like that is minimal.

I am stuck at this point where I'm beyond the scope of my glassware for my feedstock, and seeing solutions like this help me think outside of the box we normally place ourselves in.

So one of my other sticking points is the transfer of thick slurry like filter cakes such as silver chloride, or cemented values from dirty solutions. It seems that the process of cleaning the Buchner leaves me with as much supernatant as I started with! Granted, I can use toilet paper to wipe with, so I transfer it on a medium that breaks down instantly....but, got any slick tricks for that??

Another option is a double diaphragm pump powered filter and transfer unit. These are quite versatile and look like this;
P6280243.JPG
These work by using the pump, which can run dry without any issue, to pull a vacuum which pulls the solution through the filter paper and pumps the discharge to wherever you put the hose. They are on wheels and can roll all over the shop. A few more pictures
P7230310.JPG
The filtration grate is supported on its edges by the supports and in the center by the round rod, in place the filter support grate looks like this;
P7230309.JPG
The 2 "hooks" slip into small slits which allow the plate to be removed for cleanup, they are not in place when the filter paper is installed.

The suction is not strong enough to quickly seat the paper and hold it in place like a vacuum pump does so the paper is set on the support grid and a rubber gasket is pushed between the gap above the paper and below a welded in place ring to seat the paper. Setup takes only a few minutes. This is the gasket being positioned.
P7230302.JPG
These filters come in a lot of different sizes and are available from Italimpianti. Very versatile filters serve many useful refining purposes.

4metals said:
Another option is a double diaphragm pump powered filter and transfer unit. These are quite versatile and look like this;
View attachment 3
These work by using the pump, which can run dry without any issue, to pull a vacuum which pulls the solution through the filter paper and pumps the discharge to wherever you put the hose. They are on wheels and can roll all over the shop. A few more pictures
View attachment 2
The filtration grate is supported on its edges by the supports and in the center by the round rod, in place the filter support grate looks like this;
View attachment 1
The 2 "hooks" slip into small slits which allow the plate to be removed for cleanup, they are not in place when the filter paper is installed.

The suction is not strong enough to quickly seat the paper and hold it in place like a vacuum pump does so the paper is set on the support grid and a rubber gasket is pushed between the gap above the paper and below a welded in place ring to seat the paper. Setup takes only a few minutes. This is the gasket being positioned.

These filters come in a lot of different sizes and are available from Italimpianti. Very versatile filters serve many useful refining purposes.

Those are beautiful, but likely cost 2x the cost of the car I am driving!

So with the glass receiver....have to ask after letting it sink in for a few....did you work on a dairy as a kid? It's almost identical and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't make the connection sooner.

For dirty solutions that don't filter well I like a centrifuge. But not the test tube type. This is one unit which spins a pair of 1 gallon vessels.
IMG_2153.jpg
Fill the 2 containers equally to balance it and spin for 15 minutes and a solution of acid and jewelers sweeps comes out with the sweeps pinned to the bottom and the liquid is easily poured off. The same is true for many difficult solutions.

Another handy trick I discovered for a small shop is to raise your waste acid pH to 9.5 with caustic, put it in the centrifuge and spin. Shortly you can pour off the clear water and have this;
IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG

They make a larger unit with a liquid capacity of 50 liters which I recently priced at 16,000 euro's. That will filter 13 gallons of solution in 15 minutes and even do waste treatment for a moderate sized shop. The manufacturer has a video on his site of the larger unit working.http://www.emakmakina.com/products/...ecanter-centrifuge-system-fast-precipitation/

So with the glass receiver....have to ask after letting it sink in for a few....did you work on a dairy as a kid? It's almost identical and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't make the connection sooner.

Never worked on a dairy farm but I have friends and close neighbors who have working dairy operations. But now I will be making it a point to go to see their operations.

4metals said:

Never worked on a dairy farm but I have friends and close neighbors who have working dairy operations. But now I will be making it a point to go to see their operations.
We had a very similar receiver system on the dairy I worked on. It had a vacuum trap and a receiver. The vacuum trap was just a glass receiver vessel with a float valve in it, it kept milk out of the vacuum lines. It was fed by stainless lines that ran through the milking parlor. The reciever itself was about a 12 gallon flask that had a float switch that would trigger a pump to pump the reciever to the stock tank.

At the end of the milking you would turn off the pump, then milk your cows that recently calved. This milk couldn't be shipped with the rest of the herd and was used as feed...but it had a bottom drain valve (actually just a rubber cap) that would release as soon as you turned off the vacuum pump.

I keep the liquid out of the vacuum lines by using a high level float to shut off the solenoid supplying the vacuum and open up another solenoid to vent the vacuum and all incoming flow stops immediately. You can flip a switch to start suction and when you are done flip the same switch off to shut it off. If you don't notice it and the receiver gets full, the float triggers the same function as the switch and it shuts down.

Having a good vacuum system enabled me to set up systems to simplify filtering and also have acids on tap in the hood and eliminate acid pumps. More time refining and less time pumping and cleaning up spills.

Did you make use of an aspirator type vacuum pump? Or some other type? The last refinery I worked in used a Hayward pool pump of all things, along with a cone bottom tank feeding the pump directly. The cone bottom tank had a pvc bar across the top with three simple $20 nalgene aspirators, spraying towards the bottom of the cone.

No solenoid valve to keep the lines dry though. Always had to remember to kill the vacuum first.

4metals said:
Having a good vacuum system enabled me to set up systems to simplify filtering and also have acids on tap in the hood and eliminate acid pumps. More time refining and less time pumping and cleaning up spills.

Acids on tap....I like that!

Back