Treasure hunting on the Beaches.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgAuPtRh

It goes without saying that some folks just have the "bug". The Treasure Bug. The thought of finding Treasure had me captivated for many years until I finally plunked down some money for a detector and a few tools.

My first purchase was a Tesoro Umax, a sifting basket and a goodie bag. No beach from San Francisco to Santa Cruz was safe for quite some time after that. The first time a ring showed in the basket my heart pounded like crazy. It was a 14k white gold mans wedding band.

Here's what I can offer for those that are going to try it.

Technology hasn't yet allowed us the exact science of finding just gold or platinum. Some detectors get pretty close but it's safe to say that whatever your detector sounds on you should dig it up. Because they are "Metal Detectors" you should be prepared to find things that have no value at all. Keep all of your trash and discard it when you leave or when you get home.

For the ocean beaches I keep a close eye on the tide charts and try my best to hunt as the tides are going out or at the low tide. If you have it, take the time to notice where people tend to park themselves on the beach. Some like to get right up close to the water and some like to sit close to the parking lot. Watching where people go is a good indicator where to search first. Sometimes the beaches get really crowded. In that case I do a search pattern that allows for not missing anything. I'll pick a starting point--say at the back side of the beach and walk slowly--in a straight line toward the beach. When I get to the water turn around and go back---about two feet over. So the swing of the detector on my second pass back overlaps the first pass. Back and forth---back and forth--straight lines to and from the water. Overlapping swings. A grid pattern I guess would be the best way to say it.

If you are hunting and area where the tide change is fairly noticeable and gives you a lot of beach to cover at the low tide cycle. Be prepared to hit a "pay Line". They can be a lot of fun. Pay lines run parallel to the surf line.
I've hit these before on well used beaches. The action of the waves seems to leave whatever people drop in a long line on the beach. Once you start find goodies--start searching in a line parallel to the water and see what happens. You could run in to a nice deposit of coins and rings. Not all the time---but I've had this happen several times.

Be prepared as well to answer questions. And be prepared for people to ask if you have found their ring yet---the big fat one with the diamonds all over. heh heh. And be prepared for people to come and ask for help. On numerous occasions I have been asked to come and find something. Keys, jewelry etc. My answer is always YES and no charge.

Always take fresh batteries.
Always hold on to the trash and throw it away when you are done searching.
Always fill in your holes.

I'll do another post on detecting in the water and then one for not using any detector at all.

I am always available to answer questions or offer help.

SteveK

I live 1 mile from the beach and would like to start metal detecting on the weekends now that it is getting nice out. What's a good economical detector for the beginner?

I think the Garrett Ace 250 seems to get great revues from owners, and I am seriously thinking about getting one for a backup.
Also you may consider getting a waterproof detector since you may be tempted to go in the water, and I think that helps keep the salt air out of the electronics also. Those can get pretty expensive though.
The Ace 250 is about $210, or $300 for the newer pro graphic model.

Very good info !
It's bad for me, here in Quebec, there is no beaches at all. In fact, there is some but the river is too polluted so people don't go swim ;)
Maybe one day...

Noxx,
Just because the river is polluted now, it may have had some popular swim spots years ago. You should check the library, or internet and see
if you can find any of those spots. Older coins and jewelry are always better than the new junk people lose nowadays. I have found rings and coins around trees by a very small creek here in Philly that surprised me.

Here is a link for detector manuals if you are looking on Ebay for a used detector or considering a new one you can check out the manual first to
see if you like how it works, or has the features you are looking for.
http://jb-ms.com/Detectors/Manuals/

I use an older whites model works well for me although where I live I have the same problem no beaches. Looking through church yards is nice the older the better. If you are in the west I was down in Lone Pine area for a while if you can get out to some of the old ghost towns there are usually some finds you can also pick up enough lead (bullets) for a stripping cell in a short time. Old railroad stops as most of the tracks and buildings are gone but the raised grade is almost always present. If you are just looking to find some change and a possible piece of jewelry try a local youth soccer field most of the time there is more than one field grouped in a nine or twelve pack to host multiple games at once. Search around the outer ten to fifteen feet from the field perimeter. Plenty of soccer moms and dads jumping up and down waving arms and such you will always come home with more than a fist full of change if the area is to worked over. As a note most soccer associations require all team members to remove all jewelry, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and so on.

Also as noted earlier in a older post about doing research for older places. I find still running or abandoned road houses to fair well this also falls into the category for older places people gathered even a polluted river at one time had a place where people camped out at or took their family for a dip do some research almost all local library's have a photo archive section (they usually don't allow photos or removal of any pictures) land marks and gathering places should catch your eye, fairgrounds only operate for a few weeks a year (plenty of people==== possibility) sometimes in the same place for years but the smaller fairs that came and went can have overgrown lots that are on the outskirts of your town or smaller outlying towns that have boomed and busted. Oh on a further note our local fair uses coarse wood chips as sort of a collector for numerous things that get spilled or dumped while the fair is in progress, our fair doesn't let this stuff sit, After the fair is over it's all pushed up and placed in a corner of the fairgrounds AHHHH nice of them to pile everything in one spot HUh. Think in your memory almost everyone knows of one of the above places.

One thing no one has posted about metal detecting is ASK before searching, ONLY you can tell yourself NO before asking and you will find more times than not you get raised eyebrows and a Yea sure.
P.s. fill your holes anyone that has stepped in a hole while walking through tall grass the woods or just not paying attention can vouch for that one, come to think of it i doubt there isn't a person that hasn't stepped in a hole. :p

we have a few river beaches here, I find mostly coins and only one ring in two years. But some here in ottawa has a blanket detector and does these beaches regularly ( the tracks are visible across the sand) I think they catch all the goodies first.

Theres an old saying "Get the right tool for the job"
Theres another one that says "You get what you pay for"
Combine these two and you'll be pretty succesful hunting with a detector.My current detector was $3500 without the add-ons.My backup cost $1200 without the add-ons.Both of which have paid for themselves many,many times over.I have found countless ounces of gold and silver rings,bracelets,necklaces...etc.I have no desire to have extra competition where I hunt,however I think its funny when people think they can spend $300 on a cheap detector with a brand name on it and think they are gonna rake it in.
The point is,unless you plan on searching an area with no trash,and targets less than 6 inches from the surface,don't waste your time or money on an inadequate machine.Oh and always keep an eye on craigslist for a great machine at an inexpensive price.Usually people like me that spend top dollar on their machines,take very good care of them.

Noxx,

I also live very far from any oceans, But I have found that there is good hunting grounds at municipal snow dumps. These are the yards were the city takes the snow that they remove from the streets.In the spring and summer the snow melts and concentrates lost watches,wallets rings and a million ipods etc. Ask your local works dept where they take the snow.
Best of luck!

That also works on a smaller scale in big malls were they dump the snow or plow into those giant ice mountains
that seem to stick round until spring arrives.Mixed in with all the trash you will find lots of stuff that has been
frozen in time.Winter is a good time for people loosing rings when taking off gloves at their cars to get their keys.
And the snow keeps the ring from making any sound when hitting the ground,and quickly hides it from being found
until maybe it gets found when the giant ice mountain melts in the spring.

Jim

Hmmm, I have a 5 acre field.
Maybe I should let the county know that they can dump all the snow that they want within it. Maybe it would make for some interesting finds in the spring, lol!

Just making comment, and trying to be funny.

Thanks for the tip on hunting snow dumps.
Interesting thought.

Sincerely; Rick."The Rock Man".

One other one I also find good is around street meters. lots of pennies and dimes, In the older neighbourhoods were there is grass boulavards. you can still find a good amount of silver coins. No gold but any find for the kids is still worth it!

Richard36 said:
Maybe I should let the county know that they can dump all the snow that they want within it. Maybe it would make for some interesting finds in the spring, lol!

Just making comment, and trying to be funny.

Thanks for the tip on hunting snow dumps.
Interesting thought.

Sincerely; Rick."The Rock Man".

Really, your funny comment is true here. I have a friend who owns land and rents it out to the snow contractor for the strip malls all around me. I going to metal detect that area

The grass strip between the sidewalk and the street has been good to me in the past. Here in Spokane it is considered public property, although the home owner who fronts it is expected to do the upkeep

-Lance

Richard36 said:
Just be sure you do not want to grow anything there if they are using salt.

Oz said:
Richard36 said:
Just be sure you do not want to grow anything there if they are using salt.

If he will secure contract for 25years money will grow there... :)

it looks like this thread is covering a lot of ground (pun intended). in addition to municipal snow piles, try the dirt piles from street sweepers. I've never found rings but always pocket change.

Back