Using a handheld metal detector:

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONNZ

The Australian amateur prospector finds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21055206

On my second trip out with a new detector I dug up a heart shaped necklace pendant that said on it 10g Fine 999.9 gold. At the time I new nothing about the letters that were used to identify grams, grains, ounces, drams, etc. The park I was in was not in an upscale neighborhood so I thought surely the 10g on the pendant meant grains, and that it was just plated. So when I got home I tossed it and the clad coins I found that day in the coffee can where all those finds go. It was about a year or so later that I got interested in refining and after hitting a bunch of garage sales I decided to try my hand at a nitric leach on some plated connector parts and such. And it hit me then to add to that batch the pendant I had found in the park. I decided to test the pendant by cutting into it with some diagonal pliers and applying 22k testing acid to it- nothing happened. I then realized 10 grams of four nines had been hiding in my closet for a year! I sold it and got $450.00 8)

I was lucky that day and haven't found anything worth the time spent looking for it since. But I wont stop detecting.

Dennis

Back