I have a VLF analog metal dectcor

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

How in the world do I read that thing lol? and as in analog I mean its just a regular 50.00 metal detector. here is a pic of it>
DSCN03201.jpg

I think you can consider that a toy. Every one I have seen like that wasn't worth wasting the batteries in it. It looks like the ones they sell at Radio Shack. The Garrett Ace seems to be a decent detector at about $200. If you are serious about getting in to detecting that is the detector I would buy.
I have a Minelab Quattro and a Periscope probe now, but have had several White's and Garrett detectors. I wish I spent my money on a good Garrett than the Quattro.
Jim

ya i know but at this point i have to make do with what i got, i've had that thing for a few years now and can't afford to spend 200.00 on a digital one at this point and time.

You will find that digital vs analog is not the major concern. Detectors have gotten far better over the years, but also far more specific as to what you are looking for, in what environment, and what the interfering elements are in your area.

With technological advances comes specialization and costs.

jimdoc said:
I think you can consider that a toy. Every one I have seen like that wasn't worth wasting the batteries in it. It looks like the ones they sell at Radio Shack. The Garrett Ace seems to be a decent detector at about $200. If you are serious about getting in to detecting that is the detector I would buy.
I have a Minelab Quattro and a Periscope probe now, but have had several White's and Garrett detectors. I wish I spent my money on a good Garrett than the Quattro.
Jim

I have minelab explorer II and I am happy with that piece. It is little bit complicated in start with too many settings but after some time and experience it gets easier...

Patnor,
I would have rather that I saved up some more money and bought the explorer II as well. The quattro has a slow response time as well as being complicated to learn. Also the
explorer II's still sell at a high price, and it seems that the quattro is very hard to sell at a reasonable price. I just need to get out with it and learn the machine better.

Roy,
I would air test the machine to see what objects sound off like and at what distances. Also bury items at a certain depth in a test garden and see how the machine does in finding your items. I seem to remember a radio shack machine that could only detect a quarter at less than 2" on an air test. So when you figure the grass height, you will probably miss them in the ground, and like I said you would be wasting batteries as well as your time. Sometimes you just have to save up to get the right equipment for the job. There are also
plans and schematics on the web to build your own if you are up to that. Let me know if you are and I will post some links.
I may have already posted them on here if you search my posts.

Jim

Well, as far as cost, Bounty Hunter makes a good detector for $200.00, the Quick Draw two.
The land Star, and Time Ranger are the sweet models.

I own a Quick Draw two, and it will detect objects as small as a 22 cal slug or spent 22 casing at a depth of 6 to 8 inches.
More than sensitive enough to locate bb size nuggets at the same depth.

It has three tone audio ID, various modes of discrimination, and a several other functions.
I like it, and use it a lot. I have found quite a few interesting items with it, as well as numerous coins.

Just thought I would comment on the subject.

Sincerely; Rick. "The Rock Man".

I second what jimdoc says. See what your machine does with things you want to look for. See hoe it responds to modern 1¢ 5¢ 10¢ & 25¢ and pull tabs because that is what you will find the most.

I have an XLT from whites, bought it new and now it is several years old. It has more then paid for itself a few times over. besides all that stooping and digging is good for the back.

Not been silly here but those toy detectors can be handy in finding lode deposits in hilly country. Follow the contours and you'll soon know when you're in a mineralised zone. Define its boundarys then follow it up hill 'till you hit the outcrop ( or not :lol: ) or get the pan out and follow the zone down to the gully / creek / river.

A $5000 you beaut PI machine can totally ignore the mineralization that may lead to a small fortune.

(just my thoughts after knocking about with a GMT, not that ive found a fortune yet :cry: )

As long as you know the machine and what it will and will not do, but yeah as above - dont waste your time nugget hunting with it.

Back