• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

price for these circuit boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwxj61b

Have couple several boards, mifi and sata flash drive. Quantity combine with other MB is about 5-6k lbs.

Attachments

• 1B.jpg
    1B.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 474
  • 1C.jpg
    1C.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 1D.jpg
    1D.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 474
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 474
The e-scrap you show in your pictures is considered low value stuff. Pretty much not worth mentioning in the overall scope of ewaste recycling. If you want to sell e-scrap you would do much better concentrating on memory (ram) especially DDR3/PC3, mother boards, late model cpu's like i3, i5, i7, fingers cut from slot cards and or memory, & ceramic cpu's. Old telecom gear is also sought after for its relays, boards etc. I am sure I have failed to mention some things here.
You can also make some money by selling complete pieces of equipment like late model computers, big printers (plotters), LCD monitors, and some older stuff like stereo equipment from the 70's. I sold a Pioneer receiver from the 70's era for $500.00. There is also a collector market for some older ceramic cpu's and the like- basically anything with a gold top on it.
You can usually sell just about any ewaste scrap at most local scrap yards, but quantity is the name of the game. By quantity I mean hundreds of pounds. There are different grades of boards ranging from very low grade brown boards which bring little reward for your efforts to mid grade boards like disc drive boards, router boards, set-top (Tivo/cable box) boards etc to higher grade boards like mother boards, military grade boards, some networking gear boards (like network switches boards) etc.
Recently someone compiled and posted a list of e-scrap items and their values but I don't have the time to look it up and give you a link to it right now. Search the forum for 'scrap ewaste list' etc to find the post. Maybe someone else reading this can point you in the right direction.
This business is a quantity driven business. Continue collecting and sorting, and when you have much more than shown in your pictures then list them - with clear definitive descriptions and pictures - on ebay. Some of this stuff is worth shipping like memory, fingers cut from memory etc, cpu's, and other small items. Other items like mother boards and working pieces of equipment like tower computers etc might be too expensive to ship to make it worthwhile. I take my mother boards, lcd monitors, and other large pieces to a local escrap buyer.
Hope this has helped you,

Dennis

kwxj61b said:
low value...like how much is low value?

Low value meaning shipping costs will render the deal untenable. You would be doing well if you got $1.00/lb for your boards. That kind of board needs to be sold locally, and in large quantities, to avoid shipping costs.

kwxj61b said:
Have couple several boards, mifi and sata flash drive. Quantity combine with other MB is about 5-6k lbs.
Is that 5000-6000 lbs? 2-3 tons? That would be a nice lot if it was those quantities. Maybe a bit on the low side, I'm trying to get 5-10 tons of boards of that quality or better but I'm not there yet. I only have 0.5-1 ton yet. :lol:

Göran

You know, maybe I misread his original post. It would seem odd to me for an individual to have 2-3 tons of boards and not know the value of them. But I guess stranger things have happened.

denim said:
kwxj61b said:

Low value meaning shipping costs will render the deal untenable. You would be doing well if you got $1.00/lb for your boards. That kind of board needs to be sold locally, and in large quantities, to avoid shipping costs.
Wow you know how to low ball on the price. But I guess your not a professional in this field of business because I get way better price.

kwxj61b said:
denim said:
kwxj61b said:

Wow you know how to low ball on the price. But I guess your not a professional in this field of business because I get way better price.

You need to sort your material to get the best price.
When you mix in low grade, it brings the whole batch down.

kwxj61b said:
Do you mind sharing what price you get today and in what quantities?

Göran

[/quote]
Wow you know how to low ball on the price. But I guess your not a professional in this field of business because I get way better price.[/quote]

That would be correct as I am not a professional in this field, but I have been doing this for long enough to know that I would not get more than $1.00/lb scrap value for the boards you show in your pictures. I get $1.50/lb for mother boards which are considered to be higher value than what you show in your pictures. I could get a better price for mother boards if I went in with a much larger load- I usually sell about 250lbs of mother boards at a time. I operate out of my garage so storage space is at a premium.
The other day I had an interesting experience when trying to sell some ewaste in San Jose, CA (the heart of Silicon Valley). I called my contact at an Ewaste purchasing/drop off site to make sure that someone would be there to write a check for me when I came in with a load of mother boards, lcd monitors, laptops, li-ion batteries etc, only to be told they were no longer purchasing any ewaste- only accepting it for free. He explained to me that he was fearful that something BIG was soon to come down from his home country China. He did not go into details but did say that he was very reluctant to invest in any more ewaste. I can't help but think that due to his close relationship with the country that much of this ewaste is eventually shipped to that he just might be privey to some ominous knowledge we are yet to realize.
Given this, I am delighted to hear that you did very well selling your boards. I too would love to hear from you as to what you got per pound for your scrap, and perhaps some clarification on the quantities. Also, where did you sell it, Ebay?, scrap yard?, friend?.
Keep up the great work, your killing it!

Dennis

Dennis I think the Chinese government has stopped companies importing low grade e scrap into the country, so no great piles of smouldering boards been sorted by kids anymore and ruining the environment for miles, well in China but no doubt someone else will take over due to poverty and lack of legislation.

kwxj61b said:

This stuff isn't that bad. Strip all of the aluminum and steel and any transformers. The boards at that point will go for 2.40/lb easy. Some with good chip load will go low telecom. Those with lcds will go to just green board though.

Most are indoctrinated in to boardsorts grading policies where anything that is green board but not a recognizable computer part isn't worth anything...whereas those that have done their homework have figured out that there is still a lot of money to be made if you know how to shop for a buyer...especially at those qty's with a consistent feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickvc said:
Dennis I think the Chinese government has stopped companies importing low grade e scrap into the country, so no great piles of smouldering boards been sorted by kids anymore and ruining the environment for miles, well in China but no doubt someone else will take over due to poverty and lack of legislation.

Very little waste is or has been going to China for years. It goes to umicore, Mitsubishi, and the like. The smaller collectors like you and I sell to bigger collectors like anachronism or ewasted who then put it in to container sized lots and have their sorting down to a science so they know exactly what can be put in to a load to maintain their normal returns.

Buyers like boardsort, are doing a better job at marketing than they are at presenting a price based upon the intrinsic value of boards. I am by no means suggesting that they are ripping people off...far from it, they are providing an avenue to sellers of small lots, but as such, they have costs as well.

snoman701 said:
kwxj61b said:

This stuff isn't that bad. Strip all of the aluminum and steel and any transformers. The boards at that point will go for 2.40/lb easy. Some with good chip load will go low telecom. Those with lcds will go to just green board though.

Wow, $2.40/lb easy! I can't begin to realize that kind of payout. Maybe it's because I am in California, the land of massive over-regulation and bureaucracy, that is causing the lower payout rates than others see in various other locations. Some ewaste recyclers are within driving range of places like Boardsort and Ewasted so selling to them is more doable. But for me, with the relatively small loads I deal with, shipping kills the deal.
I am starting to think my view on all this 'selling of e-scrap' is tainted by my geographical location, and the nanny state government surrounding me, to the extent that perhaps my advice should be kept to myself. It just does not seem to apply in other areas.
When I started recycling ewaste about seven years ago there were many more ewaste recyclers around my area. I used to be able to sell my ewaste scrap (boards, monitors, cables etc) to a number of other recyclers. Now most of them are either closed, do not deal with ewaste in any form, or are just not paying for it like mentioned earlier in this post. Many of my customers claim they are having a hard time finding someone to come out and pick up their stuff anymore, meaning the guys they used to use are no longer in the business. Some of these customers claim their 'other ewaste guys' are now starting to charge to pick up their stuff. Many businesses are leaving California to relocate in areas not so burdened with regulations and bureaucracy. In a recent poll it was stated that 47% of the population of the state of California said they would like to relocate within the next three years! WOW 47%!!!

I am convinced things are different here, so much so that I can't really give any good advice to anyone about selling e-scrap because I am basing it on my experiences here, which are obviously not the same as for other areas. My apologies to the OP if I came across as uninformed, or rude, but my experiences are what they are. Maybe it's time I become part of that 47% :D.

Dennis

denim said:
snoman701 said:
kwxj61b said:

Wow, $2.40/lb easy! I can't begin to realize that kind of payout. Maybe it's because I am in California, the land of massive over-regulation and bureaucracy, that is causing the lower payout rates than others see in various other locations. Some ewaste recyclers are within driving range of places like Boardsort and Ewasted so selling to them is more doable. But for me, with the relatively small loads I deal with, shipping kills the deal.
I am starting to think my view on all this 'selling of e-scrap' is tainted by my geographical location, and the nanny state government surrounding me, to the extent that perhaps my advice should be kept to myself. It just does not seem to apply in other areas.
When I started recycling ewaste about seven years ago there were many more ewaste recyclers around my area. I used to be able to sell my ewaste scrap (boards, monitors, cables etc) to a number of other recyclers. Now most of them are either closed, do not deal with ewaste in any form, or are just not paying for it like mentioned earlier in this post. Many of my customers claim they are having a hard time finding someone to come out and pick up their stuff anymore, meaning the guys they used to use are no longer in the business. Some of these customers claim their 'other ewaste guys' are now starting to charge to pick up their stuff. Many businesses are leaving California to relocate in areas not so burdened with regulations and bureaucracy. In a recent poll it was stated that 47% of the population of the state of California said they would like to relocate within the next three years! WOW 47%!!!

I am convinced things are different here, so much so that I can't really give any good advice to anyone about selling e-scrap because I am basing it on my experiences here, which are obviously not the same as for other areas. My apologies to the OP if I came across as uninformed, or rude, but my experiences are what they are. Maybe it's time I become part of that 47% :D.

Dennis

Your advice is typical of the internet. The only places that really grade boards that I know of on the internet is here and boardsort, and it seems that both places really poo poo boards that don't have a ton of ceramic chips on them. I've been in recycling in some form or another for fifteen years....people work out of habit. If they are used to boardsort grading and pricing, they share that information. It doesn't matter how many times I tell them "you can make more", they are just used to it. I've started buying boards from people at boardsort pricing and just shipping them. It's not enough quantity to be worthwhile by itself, but it adds to my throughput otherwise.

If the market is that bad in your locale, it just means that opportunities abound for someone who can figure out how to work within the regulations. Freight is cheap in comparison to the difference in grading that I see people complain about.

Back