• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for material now

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shure and lots of it. Almost the whole spread of common e-waste... Ceramic CPU, RAM, fiber CPU? Mobile boards? If you are willing to pay atleast comparable to eBay price and shipping from Europe just PM me....

niks neims said:
Shure and lots of it. Almost the whole spread of common e-waste... Ceramic CPU, RAM, fiber CPU? Mobile boards? If you are willing to pay atleast comparable to eBay price and shipping from Europe just PM me....

In other words- more than the gold value. - Not to dig at Nik- this is what happens now- it sells for over it's real value on eBay- so find alternatives.

anachronism said:
niks neims said:

In other words- more than the gold value. - Not to dig at Nik- this is what happens now- it sells for over it's real value on eBay- so find alternatives.

c'mon of course it`s always more than gold value,

in a material like small socket motherboards gold constitutes only about 70 % of metals value...
And ceramic CPUs - I recently sold 1 Pentium Pro on e-bay for about 15 eur; according to sam's list there's less gold than that...

But yeah, Mfe18, let me give you a piece of advice - working on amateur level you won`t make any money refining e-scrap If you buy it here, on e-bay, or anywhere on the internet, really - I mean, there is places like boardsort.com with their prices posted public - and you probably can`t even meet those prices, why would anyone sell to you if the same shipping costs are involved?

Either work on gathering your material for free (or much cheaper) or your aim should not be refining but refurbishing or selling to computer collectors and the like...

niks neims said:
anachronism said:
niks neims said:

c'mon of course it`s always more than gold value,

in a material like small socket motherboards gold constitutes only about 70 % of metals value...
And ceramic CPUs - I recently sold 1 Pentium Pro on e-bay for about 15 eur; according to sam's list there's less gold than that...

But yeah, Mfe18, let me give you a piece of advice - working on amateur level you won`t make any money refining e-scrap If you buy it here, on e-bay, or anywhere on the internet, really - I mean, there is places like boardsort.com with their prices posted public - and you probably can`t even meet those prices, why would anyone sell to you if the same shipping costs are involved?

Either work on gathering your material for free (or much cheaper) or your aim should not be refining but refurbishing or selling to computer collectors and the like...
I know Boardsort seems to be the benchmark around here, but the are not the end all in pricing. Many other buyers can beat them on prices. I know that prices can get stupid on ebay sometimes, and it's a good place to sell small amounts of good scrap, but it's not the place to sell truckloads of it. Like I said, I have tons of it for sale, cash, come and get it.

silversaddle1 said:
I know Boardsort seems to be the benchmark around here, but the are not the end all in pricing. Many other buyers can beat them on prices.

Oh by no means I'd claim that boardsort gives "the best" price, even this guy cpyscher, who spammed a bit here around recently offers better prices, and I wouldn't let go of my packed boards wholesale even by his prices... Boardsort is just popular and neutral enough so that anyone can get a rough idea what this or that type of boards can be easily sold for...

My point was, that OP is very wrong if he expects that he can by anything here for significantly cheaper price than quoted on boardsort....

niks neims said:
My point was, that OP is very wrong if he expects that he can by anything here for significantly cheaper price than quoted on boardsort....

True and hence my comment about going elsewhere.

Why would you buy from people on a refiners forum who know the gold value. I'll sell at gold value (unlike some others) because then I don't have to process it but some will happily sell things to people at more money than it's worth to them.

I get it. I'm not crying about it. Everyone works differently but Nik everyone has to make a profit. If you think a refinery is ripping you off by taking a piece then set your own up.

anachronism said:
I get it. I'm not crying about it. Everyone works differently but Nik everyone has to make a profit. If you think a refinery is ripping you off by taking a piece then set your own up.

That is honestly the hardest part of this business.

The funny part to me is that it's usually those on the bottom, that have the highest rate of return for money that they put out there...that want to realize full intrinsic value with no processing charges.

"I got this pound of sterling at the salvation army for $10...and in the next breath, no, I want more than 92% ASV"

snoman701 said:
anachronism said:

That is honestly the hardest part of this business.

The funny part to me is that it's usually those on the bottom, that have the highest rate of return for money that they put out there...that want to realize full intrinsic value with no processing charges.

"I got this pound of sterling at the salvation army for $10...and in the next breath, no, I want more than 92% ASV"

There is nothing wrong with taking a profit.

It's not worth what you bought it for, it's worth what you sell it for.

It's just good business, that's all.

There is a difference though.

Selling an item whatever it may be for more than one pays for it is a mutually open transaction. Buyer knows what he is buying and gains. Seller wins. Job is good.

Knowingly selling "for gold recovery" items in the full knowledge that the price the buyer pays is more than the gold value is not honest business no matter how it is dressed up.

Well that all depends. If you had bought 1000 pounds of clean fingers back when gold was 400 dollars an ounce, and say you paid over recovered value then, would you still be loosing money on them at 1300 dollar gold?

In a auction format, buyer beware. You had better know you purchase value before you bid on something. That is 100% the buyer's obligation. There is not one thing on the planet that has been sold at auction where the auctioneer stopped the auction and declared "That's all it's worth".

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

silversaddle1 said:
Well that all depends. If you had bought 1000 pounds of clean fingers back when gold was 400 dollars an ounce, and say you paid over recovered value then, would you still be loosing money on them at 1300 dollar gold?
Yes, I would say you do. As the alternative is always to buy pure gold at a lesser price, then you would have more value in the end no matter if the price of gold goes up or down.

But there are valid reasons to pay a premium. I have purchased scrap at a price higher than it's metal value just so that I could learn to refine that type of scrap.

I'm also selling ceramic CPU:s at a price above the gold content, to make it worthwhile for me to pack, sending an invoice and going to the post office I charge up to 50% above the gold content (less if the volume is big enough). Anything less than that and I rather refine it myself.
I always let the customer know what I'm expecting in recovery on material I sell. If the customer still wants to buy then it's okay and I can have a clean conscience.

Göran

anachronism said:
but Nik everyone has to make a profit

Sure, I agree with you, morally, in principle, as would anyone... but you can't really apply that mathematically in practice - it gets real messy, real soon if you do - what is a fair profit? should a packager make more than a refiner, how much is an adequate markup, (((an interest)))? how much should one british custodian make based on m2 of his warehouse... before long you're writing five-year plans and seeing in red again...

free market only works if everyone looks out for their best interest primarily, humans are naturally good at that, that is why it's been working so well so far...

The part that needs to be focused on is - being honest, keeping your word, not intentionally misleading anyone... Most of the time it is pretty straightforward - I bet 99% users of this board would agree that melted together computer pin "gold drops", like theese:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-Grams-Melted-Drops-Scrap-Gold-Plated-Pins-For-Recovery-Not-Solid-Gold/283066490157?hash=item41e813dd2d:g:yDYAAOSwat5bU3Mz:rk:25:pf:0
From Israel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scrap-gold-bar-1000-grams-for-Gold-Recovery-melted-different-computer-pins-1KILO/173421375196?hash=item2860b82edc:g:CQoAAOSwNDZbTO83:rk:26:pf:0
From Israel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50g-Gold-recovery-Melted-Drops-Computer-Scrap-Plated-Pins-Conectors-Jewelry/163333144310?hash=item260769fef6:g:bokAAOSwiuxby1BF:rk:27:pf:0
From Israel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/62g-Gold-recovery-Melted-Drops-Computer-Scrap-Plated-Pins-Conectors-Jewelry/163325597886?hash=item2606f6d8be:g:slwAAOSwJmVby1BH:rk:28:pf:0
From Israel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Grams-Melted-Drops-Scrap-Gold-Plated-Pins-For-Recovery-Not-Solid-Gold/273401377617?hash=item3fa7fdf351:g:yDYAAOSwat5bU3Mz:rk:29:pf:0
From Israel

Are cynic scam perpetrated by evil people, intentionally aimed to deceive innocent (albeit naive) customers

There are a gray areas, farther away from the edge, of course - and you can try to justify it with any kind of mental gymnastics about learning experiences and spot-price changes, at the end of the day you answer to yourself - were you a honest man in your deal or not...

anachronism said:
If you think a refinery is ripping you off by taking a piece then set your own up.

I`d say I`ve been brainwashed by GRF - that large scale professional refinery/copper smelter is such an effective system (this is often used here as argument to deter amateurs from trying to process motherboards, for example) that it could successfully operate on >10% of yield... Or maybe it is harder on me because of my rather small volumes - but so far european processing plant offers have been unsatisfactory (but their customer-service is top-noch!), I am looking further away from home right now, but you must've forgotten how hard it was in the beginning Jon, when you did not have your ivory tower of "perspective, volume and ongoing hard data" yet, only a vague idea of values to go on :)

Nik I think at times you miss the point, there are those here who trade big volumes and they can teach the rest of the forum what to trade and what to refine, those that share that information are few and far between and Jon does give good advice and freely , you may not like it but it’s still good advice, you may not like him but that really is your problem, he is one of the few who know this market and shares within his limits with all, so either take his advice and help or ignore him :shock: 8)

Get off your white horse, I just like pulling his leg is all, being the bully he is, he's due someone messing with him for a change... Original poster got his answers many posts ago, let me have my fun...

niks neims said:
Get off your white horse, I just like pulling his leg is all, being the bully he is, he's due someone messing with him for a change... Original poster got his answers many posts ago, let me have my fun...

We all know how that usually ends.

So far I've only been warned about venturing into adult themed humor, not suitable for this place - I take it seriously and toe the line, so I should be ok, unless, for example, there happens to be an accidental outing of Jon - not that there is anything wrong with that!

Enough!

The Moderators come here to talk about refining. Members who do not follow the rules as stated, take away from the goal of this forum, which is “Refiners helping one another”. Whether they realize it or not, they are forcing the Moderators to be policemen when we are really here to discuss refining. We will enforce all of these rules, we will issue warnings and ban members who abuse the privilege, and we will continue to live up to the standard that has been created here.

Dave

niks neims said:
I`d say I`ve been brainwashed by GRF - that large scale professional refinery/copper smelter is such an effective system (this is often used here as argument to deter amateurs from trying to process motherboards, for example) that it could successfully operate on >10% of yield... Or maybe it is harder on me because of my rather small volumes - but so far european processing plant offers have been unsatisfactory (but their customer-service is top-noch!), I am looking further away from home right now, but you must've forgotten how hard it was in the beginning Jon, when you did not have your ivory tower of "perspective, volume and ongoing hard data" yet, only a vague idea of values to go on :)

I guess I'm curious of Jon's answer to this...because you are right, it is hard in the beginning. You start out wondering how much gold there is...then you realize that you need the silver too, and then the copper...then the palladium as well. And then you have to realize it really doesn't fundamentally matter how much is there if the load doesn't sample well.

On top of this, you have to sort it and determine values for at least 20 different product grades.

Back