• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Loose diamond

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGH

Hi all,

I have this loose diamond that I do want to sell, though I'm also looking for input on what a fair price would be. I do have some idea of what I think it should sell for, but I'd like to hear from those with more experience if possible.

I picked up this stone as I was buying karat gold recently and did pay over and above the gold price for it. Looking to pass along to an end user who'd like it, or simply along the chain.

My best assessment of the attributes:
0.60 carat
H-G color
SI1 - SI2 clarity
Good cut (perhaps slightly shallow)

Feel free to reply here or by PM with any comments, questions, suggestions or offers.

Thanks!
Matt

Attachments

• 20200314_185646.jpg
    20200314_185646.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 20200317_154821.jpg
    20200317_154821.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 250
Just an update/bump here. I've received some interest, but no price suggestions or actual offers as of yet. Still looking for a good home for this stone.

Also adding a little more info: I received some feedback from an experienced voice who suggests that this stone may actually be an "I" clarity stone, and who also concedes that judging from a picture is not ideal. I still say SI, as did a pawn shop for which I do some refining work and which handled the stone in person.

I've attached another picture here which I think shows the inclusions a little better. This is a photo through a 10x loop. I've also circled the primary inclusions. I can't say this is absolutely every speck inside the stone, though they are the primary ones.

Still looking for offers and feedback, even if it's just for my own learning.

Thanks all,
Matt

Attachments

• 20200326_122358-circled.jpg
    20200326_122358-circled.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200326_122358.jpg
    20200326_122358.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 208
When judging a loose stone, it is best to start your inspection from the pavilion (i.e., the bottom of the stone). Diamonds are cut to reflect as much light as possible, and that means that they also reflect inclusions. An inclusion at the edge of the stone can appear to be in the center of the stone when viewed table up (i.e., top side up as it is mounted in a piece of jewelry). It is easier to see just where an inclusion is located when viewing the stone from the bottom.

Having said that, it appears from the pictures that the inclusions you indicated are not at the edges of the stone, but much closer to the middle of the stone and fairly sizeable. VSx and SIx stones can have inclusions within the table area, but they should be difficult to somewhat easy for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification. The inclusions in your stone are quite visible in the pictures.

GIA grading standards are very strict, and not everyone agrees with them or adheres to them. In my years in the jewelry business, I routinely saw stones that were "graded" by other stores as SIx, VSx, and even VVSx, that were clearly Ix according to GIA standards. I also saw many stones that were actually graded in GIA labs as VVSx, and VSx, and I had to work really hard to find the inclusions that merited those grades.

Just my opinion, and I admit that I have been out of the business for decades and my old eyes are not what they once were, so I'm just sharing my opinion. We all know what they say about opinions. :roll:

Dave

I have to say that the stone is not SI but I as the inclusions are clearly visible and unfortunately in the center of the stone which will have a negative impact on its value, it has size on its side and the color isn’t too bad but it’s finding someone who wants it and many now want certified diamonds, I wish you luck and would say if you get a offer that gives you a profit take it.

Thanks Dave and Nick. I'm happy to have your expert and experienced opinions (okay... maybe that's not entirely true... :wink: ).

Like many diamonds, this one is still sparkly and still a diamond. It's too bad I can't seem to get a picture other than close up. Of course this sounds self-serving, but with the naked eye I still assert that anyone would be very hard pressed to see these inclusions, even if looking for them, and especially in everyday wear.

So as Nick suggested, I'm open to offers, just haven't heard one yet (of course this is a :G forum). Feel free to make an offer based on Ix clarity, non-certified, etc.

And Dave and Nick, again, I really do appreciate your assessments. The experience, learning, and quality of people on this forum is second to none.

There are many worse stones on eBay that have to me crazy pricing, perhaps hopeful might be a kinder expression, so if you get no offers here perhaps list it there with a price you would be happy to accept and allow for someone making an offer based on what you want.

It's not the kind of stone we would have sold in an engagement ring. It IS the kind of stone we'd typically sell as a pendant or part of a pair of earrings. Engagement rings get high scrutiny by friends of the lady, so they need to be of a higher quality, but no one looks all that closely at necklaces and earrings, so we sold a lot of Ix stuff in those.

And yes, a well cut stone can still have a lot of sparkle. Without a side view I can't say much about the cut (though the table doesn't appear to be terribly swindled), but there is definitely a market. The problem is finding a buyer. Most jewelry stores these days don't do any benchwork themselves. They buy finished product from large wholesalers who get their work done in countries where labor is cheap. Even when I was in the business back in the 1980s (Wow! That really makes me feel old), our company was one of the few that did any work of their own, and we rarely bought a loose stone from a private seller. If we did, it was only because it was at a give-away price.

As Nick said, you might find a buyer on eBay. If you list it there, I wouldn't list any clarity, color, or cut opinions. It would just give someone an opportunity to take it to their local jeweler, who might grade it differently, then request a refund or open a case because their jeweler disagreed with the grade you listed.

Dave

Edit to add the girdle is a little bearded. Not a positive thing.

Its not a desirable stone- hope you didn't pay a lot for it -

Stones like these are require you find the right buyer. since you are not in the business look at blue nile for the lowest priced stone that is close to the weight and all = then figure at least half of that

Good luck

Thanks grainsofgold,

Whew! I'll think twice before I ask for input around here again :wink: . Seriously though, I really do thank everyone for their comments and sharing their experience. It's obviously something I did not already have.

Back to the price, I've done as grainsofgold suggested. There are currently 10 such stones listed on Blue Nile, pictured below. Half of the lowest price one is $470. I did pay less than this, so there is still room for me to sell and not have to have learned this lesson with too much pain :) .

As originally stated, I'd still like to pass this along to someone who wants it or would have some good use for it. Feel free to make an offer, cash or trade for good scrap. I won't be expecting the $470 figure as above. Make an offer you'd be happy with. There's room for us to both be content on this one.

Thanks again everyone,
Matt

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39 KB · Views: 72
Back