• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

monopole magnet

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHS

I want to try a experiment and need one disk monopole magnet.If you have one you would like to sell,please pm me.
thanks john

P.S.If this works,I will freely share it with the forum.

From all I've read monopole magnets are either impossible or at least there hasn't been a way found to make them as yet? Every time you break a magnet in half, two new poles form. There are many videos on YouTube of various attempts at perpetual motion machines which work by trying to shield the effects of one of the poles. I think that's about as close as you might get for now.

Never heard of that, but some alloys (look under mu-metal - also used as shielding brackets on the back side of hhd neodyme magnets) are less penetratable to magnetism than others, so you could have your north on one side and the shielding the other side, I assume.

I don't know, how a mono pole magnet could exist....where do the field lines go?!

Magnetic monopoles are impossible with the physics we know today. It would require a magnetic particle analogous to the electron but we don't know about any particle like that. All magnetism we have seen so far is created by moving electric charge and that way always creates a dipol.
Magnetic monopoles are theoretically possible and even predicted by some theories in physics, but have never been seen. Any one finding a monopole particle would have the next Nobel price in physics.

Björn, if you shield a magnet on one side you only guide the field lines down into the magnetic shield. Magnetic field lines always connects somehow.

Göran

GotTheBug said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdTDkgEdAY
Someone call Nature! I think they have cracked the holy grail of physics!

.... or not.

Göran

Here is another,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Qait2JGY
there are many more.
I do not know if they are fake or not.
john

JHS said:
Here is another,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Qait2JGY
there are many more.
I do not know if they are fake or not.
john
Total fake / doesn't understand the basic concept of magnetic theory. That video failed within seconds... if you shrink a magnet down so you get the south and north pole close together you still have a dipole. A monopole magnet would have only field lines going out or in, not both.

The magnetic field around a monopole magnet is easy to illustrate and can easily be calculated with Maxwells equations. It would look the same as the electric field around an electron.

If you look at electromagnetic field theory you see that magnetic and electric fields are connected whenever we have a dynamic field. It only disconnect when we have static fields. A variable magnetic field creates an electric field that creates a magnetic field... and so on. This is a propagating electromagnetic wave, for example a radio wave or light.

Science has found particles that have an inherent electric charge, electrons, protones, positrones, muones... and a bunch of other exotic particles. These particles also have spin and that creates a small dipol magnet of it. In some materials the spins align and you get ferromagnetism as in iron or nickel, in other materials the spin cancels out so the material seems non-magnetic.

One interesting magnetic material is water, we can add a strong magnetic field to a water sample and a high number of the small magnets formed by hydrogen atoms will align along the external field. If we then turn it off and only have a weak magnetic field the magnets will start to oscillate in the weak field and give off a signal which frequency is proportional to the strength of the weak field. After a few seconds the signal dies off in thermal noise, but in that time it can be used to measure the earth magnetic field with 5 digits precision. It's called a PPM, Proton Precession Magnetometer.

To grip all these effects is vital for scientists, for example to understand magnetic fields in distant pulsars or building huge particle accelerators and detectors for looking inside atoms. But all these hundreds of thousands of engineers and scientists that have studied magnetism for the last century must be idiots, since any hillbilly seems able to build a perpetuum mobile with monopol magnets bought on eBay and showing it off on youtube.

A magnetic monopole detector is easily built, it's just a loop of wires. It will give a positive or negative pulse when a monopole passes through it. If a dipole passes through a loop it gives a positive and a negative pulse.

What I meant to say is, it's fake! It's physics version of alchemy. We might find monopoles some day, but we won't find it on eBay first.

Scientists are actively searching for monopole magnetic particles but haven't found any yet...
http://moedal.web.cern.ch/

Göran

Turns out they have created what appears to be a mono pole magnet,well one pole is hidden in an extra dimension.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-in-spain-create-first-ever-magnetic-wormhole-in-lab-a6829131.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kxKTX_GH4k

g_axelsson said:
Interesting metamaterial, but not a monopole.

Göran
I find it interesting as to our point of view there is just one pole and in a practical sense is acting as a mono pole magnet.
The opposite pole not being in our dimension is not observable from our point of reality .
If you can not see or sense some thing can you attest to it's existence?Do you include the depth of the foundations on the height of a sky scraper?
Let us hope understanding how one force can pass between dimensions helps us understand how others like gravity do so.May be that is why an understanding of such force interactions has been so elusive .
We have only been looking at a part of the structure.
Just found it interesting ,Hope you did too.
J

If you read the original Nature article (I just did it) you realize that there is no secret dimension or a magnetic monopole. The device consists of a large ball with carefully wrapped supra conductors and iron sheets that cleverly compensates for the distortion of an external magnetic field while piping the internal field through a rolled up ferromagnetic sheet in the center.
This can make one side of the magnetic field look like it appear from a magnetic monopole, but the other side of the sphere has the normal dipole magnet whose field is transferred through the "magnetic tube". The field lines from the external magnet looks like it comes from a pair of monopoles, one south and one north, just stretched out by a sphere in the middle.

The nifty thing is that the sphere doesn't affect external magnetic fields so you can make local magnetic measurements like it really is a monopole inside an external field. But as soon as you back off and measure an area larger than the sphere, the other side of the tube shows up and the dipole field is there again.

So, no secret dimensions, all is happening in real space. It is just for the magnetic fields that it looks like there is a local monopole, it's a magnetic mirage.
And no monopole, it's a magnetic tube, capable of projecting a magnetic field to the other side of a sphere.

It just shows that we (I mean science) really understands magnetic fields and how they work.

Göran

For a bit deeper info the article ( DOI: 10.1038/srep12488 ) contains the following description of the device.
The parts composing the wormhole are shown in Fig. 1b (see also Supplementary Information). The
core of the device is the magnetic hose made of a foil of high-permeability mu-metal, folded into a spiral.
This is surrounded by the spherical superconducting layer, made of high-temperature superconducting
strips glued to a spherical former to provide a tessellation of the sphere. On top of it, there is an outer
ferromagnetic layer, ideally made of a homogenous material with permeability μ2 given by Eq. (1), and
very small thickness. Such effective permeability is achieved by a strategy reminiscent of the metasurfaces
used for light manipulation28. An array of high-permeability mu-metal plates is specially arranged as to
provide the required magnetic response, following an optimization process based on a 3D-numerical
simulation of the whole device (see Supplementary Information)
There are images of it at http://www.nature.com/articles/srep12488 under the figures tab.

g_axelsson said:
If you read the original Nature article (I just did it) you realize that there is no secret dimension or a magnetic monopole. The device consists of a large ball with carefully wrapped supra conductors and iron sheets that cleverly compensates for the distortion of an external magnetic field while piping the internal field through a rolled up ferromagnetic sheet in the center.
This can make one side of the magnetic field look like it appear from a magnetic monopole, but the other side of the sphere has the normal dipole magnet whose field is transferred through the "magnetic tube". The field lines from the external magnet looks like it comes from a pair of monopoles, one south and one north, just stretched out by a sphere in the middle.

The nifty thing is that the sphere doesn't affect external magnetic fields so you can make local magnetic measurements like it really is a monopole inside an external field. But as soon as you back off and measure an area larger than the sphere, the other side of the tube shows up and the dipole field is there again.

So, no secret dimensions, all is happening in real space. It is just for the magnetic fields that it looks like there is a local monopole, it's a magnetic mirage.
And no monopole, it's a magnetic tube, capable of projecting a magnetic field to the other side of a sphere.

It just shows that we (I mean science) really understands magnetic fields and how they work.

Göran

For a bit deeper info the article ( DOI: 10.1038/srep12488 ) contains the following description of the device.
The parts composing the wormhole are shown in Fig. 1b (see also Supplementary Information). The
core of the device is the magnetic hose made of a foil of high-permeability mu-metal, folded into a spiral.
This is surrounded by the spherical superconducting layer, made of high-temperature superconducting
strips glued to a spherical former to provide a tessellation of the sphere. On top of it, there is an outer
ferromagnetic layer, ideally made of a homogenous material with permeability μ2 given by Eq. (1), and
very small thickness. Such effective permeability is achieved by a strategy reminiscent of the metasurfaces
used for light manipulation28. An array of high-permeability mu-metal plates is specially arranged as to
provide the required magnetic response, following an optimization process based on a 3D-numerical
simulation of the whole device (see Supplementary Information)
There are images of it at http://www.nature.com/articles/srep12488 under the figures tab.

Dow.I thought from the Observer article that they had manufactured a monopole magnet as Paul Dirac predicted .
It is just a laboratory analog using shielding.How disappointing.

Take a welding rod and cut it in half stick one to the positive post of a car battery the other on the neg . Touch them together and hold them together until they get hot . Then separate them . Pull them away from the battery. Put the one that was on the neg terminal back on the neg terminal it is as south mono pole magnet you can check it with a magnet. Weigh them both before touching them together, try to get them close to the same. Not that important. But if you are in the northern hemisphere the positive will weigh more during polarity check because of the earth pole pulls on it . The exact same way it pulls the needle of a compass down.. Fly down to Brazil and you will see it's lost weight.if you want it lighter than air.increase Amperage on second contact with battery. Increasing Amperage on The first initial direct short contact will only make bigger sparks and burn The rod. The first contact direct short leaves finger prints, a memory if you want, of what electricity actually is into each of the rods ,4" length max . I think it starts scribing the other polarity of the magnet if its any longer. The second contact with a battery has to be the same polarity to which it was in contact with on the initial. You can use any form or power level as far as amps as long as its d.c.and the same polarity . Not sure what change of effect it causes to increase volts instead of amps.If you contact the opposing terminal, i think maybe it is attracted to itself, collapsing ,shrinking ect. ? Haven't gone that far with testing. So there it is mono pole magnetic field. If you try and fail in your results it doesn't bother me . Denying that it will work explains a lot about those troubles you have with your life. A good enough welding machine puts off enough amps to levatate a barrel lid . I could see it working to do the same to let's say 30ton blocks. Soak them in salt water to conduct electricty.

In other news, horses have started to be replaced by the new invention of Henry Ford and there have been reports of two bicycle repair men to have created a flying machine heavier than air.

Göran

Back