What can YOU buy for $5000

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadiesop

Apparently the "other" forum.

I don't really know anything about the "other" forum as I applied to it first, spent two days there, did a whole pictorial about what to take out of a PC and then I had some members lead me here. Bad blood, blah blah. I don't care about that and maybe bad blood is the wrong term.. whatever

But I think this is pretty funny. Only $5000?? For a forum??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scrap-Gold-Refi...7QQihZ007QQcategoryZ46689QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was going to put this in the "Lazersteve isn't switching sides", but it's locked.

That is probably just his way to get free advertising on Ebay, since he is "selling something" they shouldn't pull his ad. He know he isn't going to get $5000 or maybe he is buggin.

I'm just making sure that the ones from here that still post there are aware of this.

If he is serious on selling, anyone can buy that forum along with all the info that Herold, Goldsilverpro, PM, and many others have provided.

Like I said, I don't know much on the whole "dueling-forums" deal, and I don't really care because this place is #1

But if he really is selling, anything posted there is fair game.

I'm not trying to "stir the pot" so to speak, but it's true, if someone does buy it, they own all the rights to whatever has been posted there.

I may be wrong but I think it's illegal to sell someones intellectual property without their consent. There may be a gray area in a forum environment due to the public nature of the material. Does anyone know the actual law on this type of implied copyright? Does he have any copyright notices on the forum? If he does sell it, he may be required by law to spilt the proceeds with each of the contributing authors.

Steve

Funny I tried the link and I keep getting 404 error. I'm not a marketing genius but.......

Maybe it's a good idea to have the site up and running if they're gonna link to it. If someone buys it sight unseen I have a really nice car for them to buy too. One owner, old lady owned it, only drove it to work one way.

:lol:

-sandhog

Whoa, I did not see that one... I had my auction deleted me too because I wasn't selling anything. Now I relisted it and I sell moderators rights. (Well actually the price is 1 billion$) :)

Yes this is illegal to sell intelectual property. Any ways to report this ?

I did not know people on the other forum were refering this forum ;)
Thanks

Noxx,

Actually, Haydn seems like a pretty nice guy. He's certainly not hurting your forum. No one has posted on his forum in a long time. Most all the people he has attracted have ended up on your site. When forums are duplicated, all people usually end up on the busiest, most informative one which, in this case, is definitely yours. On his last post, he even gave a link for your forum. In reality, you're the only game in town. I wouldn't worry about him, were I you.

If he does sell, maybe Harold and I will make some money. We, together, have 36% of the posts and, probably, have 80% of the words written.

Ok lol.

But I asked him recently to «honor his words». He was supposed to keep the link to my forum in a sticky post.

By the way, I don't not understand why he has more members... Is it because his ebay auction is before mine ?

Thanks

Who cares if he has more members? That's just numbers.

How many members do we have here? And how many of them post regularly?

Quality is better than quantity.

But on that note........

There's over 100 members here but there's only a handful that contribute. Which is great because the regulars are some of the greatest minds I've ever heard, read, or watched. So maybe these other non-posters, they're like I was a few years ago.... just curious, not sure if this hobby is for them, ect. just browsing, trolling for information

So to all the registered users who don't post...

I'm a newbie as well but I've researched refining like it was a religion for the past 2 years

I'm finally putting that information to use as of a few days ago and this forum had a huge part in that. I knew the theory but all I ever got was roundabout answers to any simple question I asked elsewhere. Here, I get videos, 3 page tutorials, when I ask a question it's usually answered within an hour, ect.

So don't be afraid to ask questions here. Speak up and let everyone know why you're here.

151 members (I just checked) :lol:

So to the 130 whom haven't said anything...

START HERE

http://goldrefining.110mb.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

Sorry, I got sidetracked for a little bit. If that forum does sell I would hope that everyone who posted valid info would stand to get some sort of reconciliation. It would only be fair. And I'm glad I brought it up here, I was a little nervous at first posting that here, but I'm glad I did now...

Although, whomever buys it for $5000 can't be that smart to begin with... :?:

I was asked to moderate that forum, a request I honored gladly. It is a worthy place to spend some of your time, and, thus far, has been free from people that are trouble. I've noticed a respectable level of intelligence, although the forum has had little activity.

As far as which is better, does it really matter? The real advantage of having more than one forum on such subjects is the ability to escape particular individuals that may have an agenda. Personalities are always a problem, so one may very well find one forum more suited to their agenda and desires than the other. Combined, they can be a force far better than either one alone, so both should be well attended and supported. It's not like one must fail for the other to succeed. Far from it. It's far more likely that if one fails, the other will be close behind. I, for one, will cease to post when there is no audience that requests help.

I learned refining the hard way, although by having Hoke's book at my side, the experience was nothing short of a pleasure. Not withstanding, there were folks along the way that did everything in their power to discourage me. The worst offenders were other refiners, most likely somewhat jealous of others plying their trade. Fact is, it's not a high skilled thing to learn-----very unlike learning one of the skilled trades, precision sheet metal man, machinist, toolmaker, cabinet man, etc..

There are those that you will encounter that will discourage you at every turn. You've seen an excellent example of that very thing here on this forum via the negative posts by one individual, reluctant to contribute anything of substance that might help the guy trying to enjoy his hobby in his off time------yet spouting words beyond comprehension and value, as if to strut his finery.

While it's nice to understand chemistry at the level of a chemical PhD, it is NOT a requirement to being able to extract and refine metals. These functions are basic and elementary, and are fairly well documented. As long as one is willing to read and learn from those that went before them, they can learn these basic operations to satisfaction, even turning them into a respectable business. That, in no way, is intended to detract from the value of a good education, just a mention that those of us that do not have the luxury of such an education need not be excluded from refining.

Read what contributors have to say, and ask questions. Do it on both of these forums. Everyone will be all the richer for the support.

Harold

Those are words of a wise man Harold. Well said.

And I agree wholeheartedly. So he's not trying to sell it?

That's really all this post was about , the selling of other peoples intellectual property.

More power to them and I will visit now and again, but I'm just curious about the ebay deal.

see there's 1 BILLION (for this forum last I read :lol: !!! )

and then there's $5000.

$5000 doesn't seem like a lot for someone in this hobby/business

No one has answered whether the "other" forum is really up for sale or not, and I'm not trying to start a forum playground fight at recess, I was just stating that it was for sale at a reasonable :roll: price for anyone that would type "gold recovery" into the ebay search bar.

Some people are pissed, some people defend. Sorry I mentioned it.

I'm gonna go play with my cell.

toadiesop said:
So he's not trying to sell it?

Chuckle!

I'd be a fool to speak for someone when I don't know their agenda, but, no, as far as I know, it's not really for sale------although if someone were to make an offer --------who knows?

In all my years of refining, I encountered only a few that cared to be involved. Based on that, it would be my opinion that Haydn, like Noxx, has used that particular medium to promote readership. Considering folks that think electronic scrap as a source of precious metals, it seems to be a natural.

The number of people that are seriously interested in processing precious metals is not great. The number that are interested for the sake of the metals instead of monetary gain is even smaller. My initial motivation was to own pure gold, which was not legal at the time. Fortunately, by the time I was in the position to have much in my possession, ownership was legalized. My quest for the metal never changed, although when it became my source of income, I had a totally different outlook on the metals. I'm still a hoarder at heart, however!

I think it was a good and useful thing that you brought the subject to the attention of readers. As I've stated, both of these forums should be supported and promoted------particularly by and for those of you that intend to pursue extraction and refining. In all seriousness, you can save yourselves a considerable amount of time and effort by relying on others that have traveled this course before you. That's not to say you can't accomplish the task without help-------it just makes success come faster and easier. As I said, I learned refining with no assistance at all. The only thing I ever gleaned from another refiner was the method of producing shot instead of flakes. Simply pouring molten gold from a dish will not yield shot. Here, and at the other forum, you have experienced refiners willing to share their knowledge. I'm not convinced many understand the gift being offered.

Ok---------lets talk gold!!

Harold

Harold_V said:
s help.

There are those that you will encounter that will discourage you at every turn. You've seen an excellent example of that very thing here on this forum via the negative posts by one individual, reluctant to contribute anything of substance that might help the guy trying to enjoy his hobby in his off time------yet spouting words beyond comprehension and value, as if to strut his finery.

Harold

How old are you, Harold? 4?

Since I KNOW FOR A FACT you are disparaging me and my education and anything I have to contribute on this forum, I thought I'd establish just what is wrong with the formal education and experience that has landed me at my current job as chief metallurgist at my current refinery employer?

You are a johnny one note HAS BEEN, who bootstrapped his learning and won't let anyone forget it. Has it ever occurred to you there are people on this forum, such as myself who are curious about what you hobby guys are trying to do? You left the business. Goldsilverpro left the business, I'm still in the business, and I'm supposed to take a backseat because I use multi-syllabic words which are over your head?

What arrogance as well as what immaturity you continue to display.

Has anyone besides me noticed lazersteve hasn't posted anything new since he broke down and bought your Bible by Hoke?

Take a bow, Harold. You're a real asset around here...that is when you aren't sitting on it.

a man named Sue

I want to set the record straight concerning a previous post for anyone who was following this thread until it went south.

Sue said:
Has anyone besides me noticed lazersteve hasn't posted anything new since he broke down and bought your Bible by Hoke?

This is not a factual statement by any stretch of the imagination. The day I received the Hoke book I made this post:

http://goldrefining.110mb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=215

The date was April 3, 2007.

Since then I have made 86 posts to 51 topics and 2 new tutorials. I will continue to post as I have been an average of 10 post a day everyday.

I don't understand how this type of conversation keeps working it's way into a forum that is meant to be fun and educational for ALL the members regardless of their background, nationality, or education level.

Since I received the book by Hoke on April 3, 2007 I have made it thru 13 chapters to date. I have not encountered anything in the text that would make me stop posting on this site. The book doesn't even mention electronic scrap so far and probably won't. It's a great text with a bit of redundnacy in several of the chapters I've covered so far. It's an excellent guide to the general techniques surrounding the use of AR in precious metals processing. I have also ordered another text to assist me in learning assaying that will not affect my posting habits to this forum.

Steve

You might ask Harold why he insists on continuing to work his distaste for me into his posts?

Granted I don't write something everyday,
but, I can't help but notice since the Hoke has landed in your life, you stopped the karat cell you promised, and I don't recall any many new videos on all the new stuff you've learned in the first 13 chapters?

It's a fact...you can't read and make videos at the same time.

When you first started posting it was a video tutorial everyday. Now there's hardly a photograph from you, let alone many videos. Why is that?

And since when is this forum only about electronic gold recovery? Who cares if Hoke wrote on electronic gold recovery or not?

And if this is a forum primarily about electronic gold recovery, then why did Harold insist you buy Hoke and read it. Sounds & appears to be a distraction technique to me.

Do you need me to requote Harold V's uncalled for dig at me in his newest post on this particular "General Chat Thread?"

Want me to go find all the digs at me and my education and current employment as a younger refiner currently employeed from Harold.

Might make for a long post.

a man named SUE

Considering gold electroplated materials are a relatively new phenomenon, there is no coverage in Hoke's book in regards to processing them by any method. It's probably safe to say that there was no such thing available to be refined, so there was no need.

If you go back far enough in time, gold plating was used in very heavy applications. I had occasion to process some early wave guide materials that yielded gold that rivaled gold content of some gold filled objects. In excess of 3% was recovered, but the batch was run with cyanide, not sulfuric, and incomplete stripping was the result. The project was halted at that point.

The real value of Hoke's book is to detail testing and AR processing for those that are starting out and have no clue. I think that is mentioned in the book. It was written in plain talk, so a person without a chemical background could read and understand how to process waste materials. It is redundant because the processes involved are similar, if not identical. She made it easy by detailing each alloy that one might encounter, so you can address a given chapter for needed information. Truth is, you can lump most of the types of alloys together and refine them by the inquartation/nitric process-----but would you know that had you not read the book?

It's extremely unusual for those in the know to disclose successful procedures where refining is concerned. It is, and has been, a closely guarded "secret" as long as I can recall. Hoke's book is one of the few exceptions available to the novice. I recommend it highly, even though it does not detail stripping with sulfuric. Once stripped, the information in the book is more than adequate to allow the reader to turn out gold quality that rivals the "big boys".

Harold

Harold,

I've greatly enjoyed the book. I haven't been able to read much of it this past week due to my work load, forum activity, and visiting relatives. I have learned much from it. I completely understand why electronic scrap is not included in the book, you or one of the other members, made that clear before I ever bought the book. I think the main idea that the book conveys is to engrain the process of refining into the reader. She stresses performing the experiments listed in the book, in order to associate the process with the results (learning by doing). This approach is right up my alley. I will finish the book soon.

I feel like most of the forum members think I'm geared towards electrolytic refining because of my tutorial posts. That's not the case. Of all the gold I've recovered and processed, less than 10% was processed using the cell. More than 80% was recovered using peroxide-acid. About 5% was processed using AR, and the remaining 5% was processed with other methods while I experimented to find the process that suited my needs ( safe, efficient, and economical ). I have lots more gold scrap to process. I'm sure I will be performing more experiments to find ways that meet my needs. As I perform these experiments I will share my ideas and experiences with the forum.

I'm not into gold recovery to get rich. I'm not in it to prove anything to anyone. I'm not doing it to become a professional refiner. I'm doing it just for fun. I know that's hard for the professional refinery guys to understand, it's just the way I want it. It works for me and that's what matters to me. I get a great enjoyment form sharing my experiences with others. To me it's about relaxing and enjoying myself. As long as I have fun and can share with others, I'm happy.

Steve

Steve,

Your objective, near as I can tell, is very much as mine was. I wasn't interested in the money potential, although I sure didn't mind that the fruits of my labor were valuable. My father worked in hard rock mining in his early years, and was always a prospector of sorts, so I had an interest in gold as long as I can recall.

As a boy, I was fascinated by several things. Radio & electronics, chemistry and mechanical things all held my interest. I turned to refining when my mother's godmother passed and left her humble home to my mother. When we cleaned it out, I found two pairs of wire frame eyeglasses and an old gold wedding band. I hauled them home with the idea of extracting the values, and it blossomed from there. Once I got started, I was hooked!

In the end, refining exposed me to the chemical industry, satisfying to a small degree, my interest. If I had my life to live over, I'd likely go to school and get a degree in chemistry, but that was not in the cards for me as a child.

Right up to the day that I sold my refining business, I was still in awe as gold precipitated from solution, and even more so by watching platinum and or palladium precipitating. To folks like me, lacking in education, it is all shear magic!

I can truly understand how and why you enjoy your hobby. In a way, I regret having allowed mine to become a business, although it was the gateway to my early retirement.

Harold

Sue,

I read the book on my lunch breaks at work. I make videos after work in the evenings and on the weekends. The two have nothing to do with each other when it comes to timing. Perhaps I set the forums expectations for my rate of video productions too high with my initial set of videos and their accelerated production timeline.

You and Harold butt heads it's obvious. That's between you two and I hope you both can find a way to work around your personal feelings towards each other. I don't think that should stop anyone else from getting what they want out of the forum.

I have been discussing the karat cells with some other members both publicly and privately. Here is one such public post:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1994

I've been working with another member on the final details of the cell. I want to make sure I get it right the first time thru so I'm doing my homework first. Please forgive the delays.

I'm only one person and I can't keep up the breakneck pace of posting to the forum, working a full time job, sleeping, eating, and socializing without a break. To produce a video a day is not feasible for me at this time. I'll be lucky to make a single video this coming week with my upcoming schedule. As for making post concerning Hokes book, I haven't given it any thought with everything else I've been doing. Truthfully, I felt like I deserved a break and was stepping back a little to let some of you more experienced refiners make a few videos of your own while I take breather.

Steve

I was a little different. I love to refine and I love earning a living doing it. I love the magic of gold chemistry. I love making the gold disappear and then resurrecting it, better than when it started. I love the dangers, the colors, the smells, the difficulty to conquer it, the challenges of getting it all and getting it pure, having purple of cassius stained hands, the beauty of pure molten gold, etc., etc..

And, everybody has to eat. It's nice to be able to make an excellent living doing something you'll never tire of.

My copy of Hoke was taken about 10 years ago and I haven't replaced it. I probably read it through 10 times and always found new things. Every sentence has meat. I think she uses redundancy to stress points. When I first read it as a novice, only the main points sunk in. When I knew more, upon rereading, I always found new things. The last of the book is 100's (it seems like) of varied, well explained tidbits, many of which had nothing to do with aqua regia. Somewhere in the book, she mentioned the sulfuric patent. The patent and the book both came out in 1940 and she didn't know much about it yet. Look in the index for Western Electric or sulfuric.

Back