Q on droping gold out of nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanOlivier

Which one do I use to drop gold out of nitric selution between sodium hydrogen sulfite or sodium hydrogen sulfate or can I use both?

Thanks in advance

It is unlikely you have any significant amount of gold in a nitric solution. While nitric does oxidize the gold, nitric solutions can only hold a trace amount of gold in solution.

When precipitating gold from a chloride solution, sodium meta bisulfite is typically used. It has quite a few other names, but it is the -ite you want, not the -ate.

Dave

Gold will not dissolve in nitric acid alone so we are missing something, please specify fully what you have, what you started with and what you have down to reach this stage, hopefully then we can help.

FrugalRefiner said:
It is unlikely you have any significant amount of gold in a nitric solution. While nitric does oxidize the gold, nitric solutions can only hold a trace amount of gold in solution.

When precipitating gold from a chloride solution, sodium meta bisulfite is typically used. It has quite a few other names, but it is the -ite you want, not the -ate.

Dave
Thanks ment AR selution so need to look sodium meta bisulfite

You can use copperas too or ascorbic acid but you need to remove any free nitric, I would advise using sulphamic to do that.

Back