MX3, A Replacement for Nitric Acid in Aqua Regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

While browsing the internet i stumbled upon a product that claims to be a substitute for Nitric Acid in Aqua Regia. This Chemical is called MX3, but im having trouble determining the actual contents of the white powder that claims to be "A superior, dry, non-hazardous substitute for nitric acid when making aqua regia."

Has anyone stumbled upon this same chemical? I cant find any information on MX3 on the forum through the search function so i assume no one has discussed it, at least not with this name.

Here is a link the the website where the product is sold. I purchased a 1lb bag but have yet to do any tests comparing it to nitric acid.

https://www.ishor.com/mx3-dissolving-agent

ishor, then it's probably just an expensive bag of some nitrate.

Look up poor mans aqua regia and buy some cheap potassium or sodium nitrate on ebay. You can buy gold for the rest of your money.

Göran

That makes sense, but its states its more economical than sodium nitrate, so that rules that one out at least. I got them to send me the MSDS for it but the only useful information was that it can combust when mixed with potassium chlorate and that it is not harmful if absorbed through skin which potassium nitrate is.

MyInnerScientist said:
That makes sense, but its states its more economical than sodium nitrate, so that rules that one out at least. I got them to send me the MSDS for it but the only useful information was that it can combust when mixed with potassium chlorate and that it is not harmful if absorbed through skin which potassium nitrate is.

Don't believe everything that a company tells you. Especially when they want to sell you a "secret Formula".

How harmful can potassium or sodium nitrate be? Both are used in food as a preservative.

Göran

Thanks for posting the image, but that is not a Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS).

Here is an example MSDS for Nitric Acid: https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/16550.htm

Any laboratory will have a binder of these accessible to both the scientists and emergency responders. It is considered best practice to review the MSDS for any/all chemicals you are working with in a lab. No chemical is truly completely safe and many have special instructions for storage, spill clean-up, and firefighting.

I would highly recommend that hobby chemists/refiners review them as well. Section 8 being the most informative, telling you how to protect yourself.

Nitric Acid:
Personal Protective Equipment
Eyes: Wear chemical splash goggles and face shield.
Skin: Wear butyl rubber gloves, apron, and/or clothing.
Clothing: Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Respirators: Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29 CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN
149. Use a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator if exposure limits are
exceeded or if irritation or other symptoms are experienced.

If you don't know what is in a chemical, i.e. MX-3, then how will you work safely with the chemical, calculate your reactions, and manage your waste? As it is said, "The difference between screwing around and science is writing it down" Adam Savage

MyInnerScientist said:

You seem to have misinterpreted what you read. What the Ishor website actually claims is:
That MX3 has all the same advantages (as sodium nitrate) OVER NITRIC ACID. Such as MX3 also being more economical than nitric acid. That much is true.

Their own prices are $9.90/pound for sodium nitrate but $15.99/pound for MX3. So whatever MX3 is, it is NOT more economical than sodium nitrate.

That being said, their sodium nitrate price is a ripoff also. You can get either sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate pretty cheaply as a fertilizer. Either one should work to make poor man’s nitric.

Back