HCl-Cl for polishing sweeps?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nauticamark

Hey all! So I have been refining my polishing sweeps per Harold_V's directions on "Recovering precious metals from polishing sweeps." So far, going good, and huge thank you to Harold_V for sharing that valuable knowledge. So my question is, has anyone tried to not use the AR process, and try the HCL-CL process? My thought on this was that the gold particulates are super fine, and from board discussions, the HCL-CL process is good for using on super fine material. Should I expect to have any particular issues or problems if I give this a shot, for the final process of extracting the gold?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Simple it won’t work.
To recover the gold you need heat and agitation to reach the very small pieces of gold distributed throughout the sweeps, its one of the few times I would recommend actually to boil the AR with a watchglass on and with plenty of stirring to avoid hot spots and broken beakers, loss of values.
Hcl cl is good for foils but not sweeps.

If you are going to process your sweeps then be aware that even if you do it exactly right you will only recover 90% of the values on the first attempt, so you have to decide if doing it twice is worth the effort and time, if you recover much more than 10% on the second processing you have to make the same decision again.
This I believe is more to do with the filtering than dissolution of values but whichever in my experience it usually pays to run the material at least twice.

Back