Gold from fingerboards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapske

Just caught the youtube vid of a gold refiing process wherein 500 g. Of finger circuit boards produced 1g of refined gold. This brought to mind 2 questions.

1. The amount of gold refined is approx. $40 in value.
So, what is the expected profit margin, after all
Non-reusable supplies, and initial materials are
Considered ?

2. Would it not be easier to simply cascade quicksilver
Over these fingers, (while wearing a respirator, and
Ventilalating appropiately), then simply refine the
Resulting amalgomation ?

I figure with the proper vapor capturing system, most of the vaporized liquid mercury could be recaptured and cooled via normal distilation process, for reuse. As it is relatively expensive (about $250 for 228.3 g.)

**** thoughts..... ideas......concerns.....

Thank you for for your guidance,
---Tapske...

Tapske said:
1. The amount of gold refined is approx. $40 in value.
So, what is the expected profit margin, after all
Non-reusable supplies, and initial materials are
Considered ?
It depends on your cost for HCl. I can buy a gallon at my local Menards hardware store for about $4.00, and that's more than enough for a pound of fingers.

2. Would it not be easier to simply cascade quicksilver
Over these fingers, (while wearing a respirator, and
Ventilalating appropiately), then simply refine the
Resulting amalgomation ?
NO!! First, it would not work. You would just end up with mercury coating the gold, but the gold and the copper beneath it would still be firmly attached to the finger boards. Give up any ideas about using mercury. There are much better, much less hazardous ways to refine.

Dave

You answered your own question.

$4 for a gallon for HCL, or $300 a lb. for mercury, which one do you think is more cost effective?

Not to mention how much easier and safer, (realtivitly speaking), HCL is to work with compared to mercury.

Back