Need help on a weird alloy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baby_beans

I recovered, via a proprietary process, foil that tests properly for Au Pd and Pt in 22k aqua regia and then stannous. I believe it also contains Rh Ir and Os which is why its melting point exceeds oxy mapp gas. Proportions are likely 30-40% Rh and the rest in more or less equal%. A proper arc furnace costs more than I can afford. What is the cheapest way to proceed given that I need to turn foil/powder into a solid?

I actually tried that but I just get a weird yellowish copper alloy with a high melting point. What do I do with that? I'm going for bars of the alloy but I'm wondering the cheapest way to melt kind of a crazy alloy cause its way beyond a torch from what I can tell. Used a whole can of oxy/mapp gas and just got foil with a surface of yelow to silver/white shiny beads under 1mm. I'm thinking the fact that they are shiny indicates the alloy has enough gold or whatever that the atmosphere doesn't have to be Argon. I'm thinking DIY arc furnace but I think Alumina is a pgm no. Graphite is good but its conductive, which might be good, maybe a graphite bar mold on a charged metal plate and a graphite rod in an alumina lid so the arc goes down into the powder/foil? Is there a formula for watts to volume of molten metal to a certain temperature? I'd be happy with ten gram bars to keep the power consumption low. Any help is greatly apreciated, this was just a chemistry experiment and its lead me into several fields I had never studied. It seems to work as powder for Organic Chemistry reactions one would expect from Pt powder so that's fun.

Back