A newbie in need of some tips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert3

Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum and was hoping some of the nice folk here could help steer me in the right direction in regards to a question i have.

Currently I run a little antique store in MA and we have been getting increased quantities of gold and silver sold to us recently. My question is what would be the best option to do with the gold acquired. As far as I can tell I have 3 options:

-Sell on eBay (but then there's reductions from selling fees etc)
-Sell to a local pawnshop (he offers around 90% but his formula makes no logical sense to me and creates a
different % per karat and per spot of gold)
-Sell it to a refiner (I have zero experience in this field and have never dealt with a refiner before but am
interested, also if i were to sell to a refiner would it be better to melt down any jewelry into a bar of mixed and
have it assayed in that form or separate as the jewelry itself)

Any advice or tips are very appreciated
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Perhaps you could post some pictures along with any descriptions or provenance. I am sure others here would be better suited to give you advice.

Dennis

If you can melt a decent well mixed bar and get a decent sample then I’d advise doing so but you need reasonable quantities to make the assay cost worthwhile in the US I believe, the alternative is to melt take a good sample and keep aside until you receive the refiners report, you need to ask for a melt and offer from them, you should easily be able to calculate the approximate gold content and allow 1/2 percent for marking rules there, if the refiners report is out drastically then tell them to hold your bar while you then get an assay to confirm their results or prove it’s wrong, by simply having a sample will make most refiners think twice before trying to alter the true results to their benefit, not all refiners are thieves but some are.

Thanks for the quick responses.

In regards to the mixing of a bar, I currently have a furnace en route that i bought online so i'm hoping making a bar won't be a problem. Currently i get around 2-3 ounces of karat jewelry a week, and with more advertising in the local and surrounding areas im hoping to get a larger amount. What do you feel is a reasonable amount to have before creating the bar and the sample?

As for the pictures if you want i can send some next time in in the shop.

Cheers,
Rob

Back