I have a quick question about ppm concentration units

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IshmaelM

I have this colloidal gold solution at home I use for glass making to get a ruby color. Anyways, the solution says 100 ppm, and it is in a 1 gallon container.
My question pertains to gallons. How many is that in gram, milligrams, ounces.
Through dimensional analysis, is it possible to obtain the exact number of gold nanoparticles in the entire gallon?

This is just a question based from my curiosity. Colloids are very interesting to me
From milk to metal colloids.

To get answer, we need 1.The density of the medium 2. Is it ppm weight to weight (w/w) or volume to volume (v/v) 3. Is it British gallon or US gallon 4."Gold particle" (average) - definition

Lino1406 said:
To get answer, we need 1.The density of the medium 2. Is it ppm weight to weight (w/w) or volume to volume (v/v) 3. Is it British gallon or US gallon 4."Gold particle" (average) - definition

1. The gold nanoparticles are in a water medium. So 1 g/L I'm assuming.
2. I really don't know about this one
3. US gallon
4. It's colloidal gold so, the seller said that it contains gold nanoparticles prepared through electrolysis using a 24k gold wire.

Okay thanks that makes it so much easier to understand.
But it's difficult to understand that a liter of that gallon contains even 0.1 g of gold. I don't know why, it seems hard to grasp for some reason.
So if I were to obtain some agglomeration/ flocculatating agent, then I would obtain at least 0.1g of gold?

(Again, the idea isn't to make gold, it's out of my curiosity of dimensional analysis. Each gallon cost me 75 USD. It help me when making glass colored ruby red, I style it as Roman chalices).

1 ozt = 31.1g~, at $1300 per ozt that's $41.80 per gram, 0.1g = $4.18 per liter of your solution.

at 3.78 liters per US gallon you have 0.378g of gold valued at $15.80.

You paid $75 per gallon for $15 worth of gold, plus any cost of chemicals, electricity, equipment or labor to recover the gold you will lose a ton of money, a ton.

In addition you would have wasted the ability to make red glass.

Now if someone had given you the solution for free to get rid of it, and you had 55 gallon barrels of it, that's a totally different matter.

Lou said:
Can you tell me more about this ruby glass process?

Yeah I basically add colloidal good or gold salts if I have then in stock to molten glass.
It's often called cranberry glass.
I started doing it a couple months ago, my wife and daughter are addicted to them. Great addition on the 4th of July parties

Here's a link on Wikipedia of you'd like to learn more about it,
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranberry_glass

Make sure you have experience making glass. It can be a dangerous procedure for newcomers, a buddy of mine had an apprentice burn his eyes while blowing glass.

Is this a spray on then reduce coating? I am experienced in using various colorants in their powder or cullet form, but never from the stage of mixing batch.

Are you lampworking or off hand blowing? I could never get the hang of lamp work, but off hand was fun. Expensive hobby though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back