People crack me up...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denim

Supporting Member
I tell my customers that I drill holes through their hard drives to render them useless. Some people I think, mistake towers for hard drives. One recent customer wrote in an email......

"Hi Dennis,

I hope all is well. Per our phone conversation today I have E-Waste Recycle items for you. Keyboards, Hard Drives (please drill mother board), typewriter, stereo equipment, laptop."

I got a little chuckle out of that.

Maybe they were referring to the board on the HDD, however that still would not stop someone from retrieving the info from the platters.

Years back one of our customers (from a multi-billion dollar aerospace contractor) was liquidating hundreds of mainframes and stand-alones to us. They wanted the HDDs drilled, and I explained to them that the HDD cases and platters would be melted down, along with the heatsinks, because we used the aluminum in a manufacturing process for another company that we own. The customer insisted that they had to be drilled in order to "completely remove all data". My attempts to make him understand otherwise, were futile. So I had an employee drilled them all just in case he showed up at the warehouse.
Your title is very appropriate....People crack me up too.

A small electronics dealer and installer had a customer that asked if they might use the drill press to drill some laptops and got an ok. A couple of hours later one of the technicians (a friend of mine) needed the service laptop... yeah, you guessed right. It was sitting in the pile with neatly drilled laptops in the electronic recycling bin...

I can't repeat the words he used when he told me the story. :mrgreen:

Göran

g_axelsson said:
A small electronics dealer and installer had a customer that asked if they might use the drill press to drill some laptops and got an ok. A couple of hours later one of the technicians (a friend of mine) needed the service laptop... yeah, you guessed right. It was sitting in the pile with neatly drilled laptops in the electronic recycling bin...

I can't repeat the words he used when he told me the story. :mrgreen:

Göran
Hehe true.

That given. Denim you're a lovely guy however I think you misread the instructions and they were in fact talking about the boards on the HDD. Their bad in their description but easily misinterpreted. 8) 8)

Jon

I have got hard drives from a company that drilled them, and they hit everything but the disks. Magnets and brackets, they were a mess. But the disks were untouched.

anachronism said:
Hehe true.

That given. Denim you're a lovely guy however I think you misread the instructions and they were in fact talking about the boards on the HDD. Their bad in their description but easily misinterpreted. 8) 8)

Jon

Jon, I assure you the individual I am dealing with has not even the slightest clue that hard drives even have a circuit board on them. You are giving her waaayyyy too much credit. :D

I work with people who are young enough to know what a computer is.

College education and make 2 or 3 times what I do.

Yet I still get calls from them telling me their hard drive is going bad. They point to the monitor and say "see the hard drive is all black I can't log in".

They haven't turned on the monitor.

Back