Can you identify this?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishingking

Hello, so I've been refining for about a year now. Studying how for two years. And within my trials I've made some solutions and put them aside. Well one dried up and left me with these. This will be some type of precious metal and more then likely from HCI, my guess is silver but not certain. Anybody wanna take a guess before I screw up some more? Haha. All help and jokes are appreciated.

Attachments

• KIMG0113.jpg
    KIMG0113.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
  • KIMG0111.jpg
    KIMG0111.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
  • KIMG0112.jpg
    KIMG0112.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
Without further information of the source of the dried salts it’s impossible to even guess, even with this information we might struggle to give a definitive answer.

First off I would share what kind of base material you started with and the quantity.

Fishingking,

Apparently what you have is dried metal salts, I suspect from some failed attempt to learn to recover or refine gold.

The salts may hold some metals of value, how much that is questionable.

At this point, the salts are still dangerous and would be considered toxic hazardous waste, you could oxidize them to make them safe to dispose of.

As far as learning to recover and refine well if you have studied for two years you surely have not been studying in the right places, you should not be handling those toxic salts without gloves.

If you want to learn to recover any values from those toxic salts, it will be easy, but you would have to spend some more time studying the safety involved, roasting these salts to convert the base metals to oxides would put off a lot of toxic gases, putting these oxides back into solution would create hazardous waste solutions to deal with.

My suggestion is to begin studying how to safely deal with waste.

Outdoors (away from public living areas) crush the powders and mix them with a bit of NaOH and a small amount of water, rinse the powders well and dry ( save the solution for waste treatment), now you can heat the salts until they fuse into a syrup, at this point the salts will begin to form gases which will make bubbles of toxic gases, which if sucked into the lungs will make acids out of the liquid in your lungs, if these gases come into contact with the damp iron and other metals tools, or the truck in your garage would turn them to a garage full of rust.

These bubbles will grow large in the fusion of the metal salts and have a hard time escaping until they become large bubbles of gas and breakthrough like small volcanoes as the gas finally breaks free from the toxic molten salt fusion, this action will splash the fine metal salts all over the place, turning the heat down will help to slow the creation of the gases but also the process of converting the salts.

Having a larger dish with a large bottom surface area and fewer of these toxic powders during the fusion process can help to keep the volume of the salts low, or the height or the amount of molten salt above the bottom of the dish where the heat forms the bubbles, with less height the bubbles can escape easier. With stirring you can expose the bottom of the dish and also help the gases escape easier (using a higher temperature), the sirring helps break the bubbles before they grow large and erupt with a volcanic action...

After these salts fusion is dried again at High heat and much of gases have evolved, you can raise the heat, even more, crush the salts to powders again, using a torch on the powders in the dish you can bring the powders to red heat, keeping the powders crushed to power and stirring to expose the red hot metal salts to the air, the red heat will drive off the remains of the acid and in the glow of the red heat the oxygen from the air will oxidize the metal salts, making them safer to dispose of.

If you wish to learn to recover and refine gold you could use these metal oxide powders, saving them to learn to deal with waste, as you have been studying.

If we understand how to deal with the waste we will also understand how to recover the gold...
At this point, it is up to understanding how to proceed safely.

Yes I should have been wearing gloves,you got me there.
I have only tried a couple times these processes so I know where I've been successful and where I've failed which is why I guess it to be silver. However with anybody life has its wrenches thrown in. But honestly you think it would be better to destroy those then to attempt a recovery?
I'm an idiot but I'm not dumb. I fail and sadly it seems I learn most from failing. I can read these forums all day, however I need to ask questions because I don't understand. Say you told me the sky's blue, I wouldn't learn or understand why unless I.got to ask what makes it blue. Why is it sometimes grey. So I repeat and when I'm asked why I say I dunno it's what I was told. So now I pass poor information and have gotten nowhere. Sorry to ramble. And yes I understand how you say to destroy that and make it safe. But I'd rather try to recover then remove. Unless it's not theisable.

Anachronism. I'm not certain. If it's what I think it's electrical contacts. And total maybe two ounces not much at all.

Fishingking said:
Anachronism. I'm not certain. If it's what I think it's electrical contacts. And total maybe two ounces not much at all.

Frankly I would start again with new material. Put this in your stock pot and it should remove the cooper from it at least.

Back