What do I have here?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natepen

Hello,
Many years ago I was helping an older guy with a clean out of his home and was offered some bottles that he said were from his grandmother who painted the gold lines on the china plates. The bottles say Hanovia Liquid Gold Division - Bright Gold and some say Palladium.
They've been my closet for years now and was hoping to hey some info on them as far as if theres really any gold in them.
Thanks for your help
Nate

Attachments

• 20200128_203557.jpg
    20200128_203557.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 247
  • 20200128_203610.jpg
    20200128_203610.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 246
  • 20200128_203616.jpg
    20200128_203616.jpg
  • 20200128_203622.jpg
    20200128_203622.jpg
Welcome to the forum.
I remember refining some gold paints many many years ago and it was quite rich in gold, if I remember correctly we incinerated the paints slowly in a covered container to get rid of the oils and then refined the powders, as these came from Englehard I believe they will indeed contain precious metals.

See how the small bottles have lot numbers printed on them, that's a good sign. It means the content was valuable enough to keep track of a manufacturing lot. I'm with Nick on this, it probably contained gold and palladium once and might still contain left overs from the paint.

The question is, was it in metallic form or water soluble salts?

Göran

According to information on this site;

http://warmglass.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=249

The bottles labeled "bright" have gold in solution and those labeled "luster" are metallic powders suspended in the liquid.

That forum also has links to other pottery and porcelain painters sites with more information on what you have.

Now as to how can you recover/refine what you have, that requires more research.

Good news. Thanks to everyone for your help. Next step is to figure out where I can get these refined and get the precious metals out without paying an arm and leg.
Nate

I would gladly do them for you and have done these many times, as well as made them up for glassblowers.

Which brings me to my next point:

What you have is very coveted by glassblowers doing decorative work. Hanovia bright is the (pun intended) gold standard of putting metal onto glass or porcelain.

When you open it up, it'll have a smell of either pine oil or rosemary/sage-ish smell.

Natepen said:
Good news. Thanks to everyone for your help. Next step is to figure out where I can get these refined and get the precious metals out without paying an arm and leg.
Nate

Before you refine them, make sure you'll get more for doing that than you will for selling them as collectables!

-- Thipdar

What do you think is in the "luster" or "mother of pearl" bottles? Just paint? What do you charge for doing something like this? How about turnaround time?
Thanks
Nate

Lou said:
I would gladly do them for you and have done these many times, as well as made them up for glassblowers.

Which brings me to my next point:

What you have is very coveted by glassblowers doing decorative work. Hanovia bright is the (pun intended) gold standard of putting metal onto glass or porcelain.

When you open it up, it'll have a smell of either pine oil or rosemary/sage-ish smell.

The lusters are probably some other inorganic material dispersed in solvent.

We are very busy right now but these don't take longer than a day or so to do. Typically it's just straight incineration and then leaching the Au/Pt/Pd whatever out of the incineration vessel (it doesn't just lay in there as powder, instead it coats everything with PM) and then re-precipitating the pure metal.

They would likely have to ship ORM-D.

I started with a very careful evaporation outdoor's to avoid the build up of explosive vapour.
I do not know exactly what kind of solvent was used, it was incompatible with alcohol and petroleum spirit but did dissolve with acetone.
So after washing out the bottle I left it on a low heat outdoors for two day to drive off all the volatiles, some were very high temperature.
Then once all the volatile solvents had been driven off I incinerated the remaining solid.
All the material which was in contact with the beaker formed a gold mirrored surface.
I then used a standard A.R. recovery.
From just under half the bottle I recovered 11.3g of Au.

Attachments

• DSC01954.JPG
    DSC01954.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
Back