I have a cunning plan!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella polaris

I have in my hand an item. The logic say it contains PM. It is a part of a kind of instrument. The model was the flagship of the company. German made 1982. Price of the Instrument, new, was around 15-20,000 German mark 1982.

Its a spring. One of two parts in a kind of sensor that had to be very precise. It must be durable due to wear. Its function is to make contact, with a bus bar, when a certain action occour. Then this happends the circut become closed and a electrical signal is send. You can say its one of the most important part of the instrument if not the most important. Most similar instruments contain PM. Older and higher end always contain PM in this part.

thickness of spring around 1.5 mm or less
Non magnetic
White metall
wire thickness = 0.15 mm or less

Bus bar
White metal
Non magnetic

The logic of the above is that the spring should contain PM. But what and how? I have some ideas but they do not really fit in, I can not figure it out. My knowledge is to low. How should i find out? I do not trust my test results.

Here is my cunning plan.
A quiz! :lol:
If any of you more experienced guys are willing to be judge I will send him a couple of springs. Then i post pictures and we have a quiz. Is it solid? if plated with what and what non magnetic material is under? Then we let the trustworthy judge decide what it is. If many are correct someone else throwing in a mystery object to get a winner. etc. PM me if you are a willing trustworthy judge.

Back