Looking for some help regarding the potential value of what I have

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonLock88

Hey all. This is my first post and I've done some reading here on the forums about what I'm about to ask and I am still a bit unsure regarding the potential value of what I have here. Please, humor me a moment and please dont stop reading as soon as you read the subject of the question.....

Gold Leaf Ribbon. I know that many people here, atleast what I've read, have the opinion that the gold flake sold on Ebay and other areas are of extremely low grade and may not actually be gold at all. This being said, is it safe to say that the majority of people here believe all gold leaf ribbon is worthless?

I'm asking because I happen to have a bit of it. except the difference is it is pretty dang old and supposedly 23k real gold. I have done research, contacted the manufacturers of 1 of the types I have and supposedly this is really 23k real gold. Looking on ebay, items of similar branding but older (and still sealed, so not new but like new) are running for prices that are quite surprising to me. So is it possible that what I have is real gold? If so, is it possible that it holds some value? and what are you guys opinions regarding the value in it's current form vs in its refined gold form? from what I'm seeing I'm thinking it may be better off for me to attempt to sell it as is. But I must admit my curiosity of being able to salvage and refine it is getting at me a little.

My goal here is to make as much money as I can off of it quickly. I'm even willing to take a cut in value if it means selling it off quickly. I just dont want to trade quick for zip in terms of value. I have a couple Bill's that must get paid asap and this may be an Avenue to pay them but I dont want to just carelessly make any decisions and start scrapping this gold if it wont end up being much in the end or is worth a whole lot more in it's current form. So, I am hoping that I can tap into the wisdom held in this forum for a little advice and opinion. I'm hoping this doesnt violate any forum rules, but I'm going to post a few photos of what I have, plus a screenshot of the various different Ebay bids so that it properly portrays what I'm seeing and hopefully help yall understand what is contributing to my conundrum.

Attachments

• 20200302_041651.jpg
    20200302_041651.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 125
  • 20200302_041826.jpg
    20200302_041826.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200302_043443.jpg
    IMG_20200302_043443.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20200302-182054_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200302-182054_eBay.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 125
Most of the gold leaf sold on ebay in the vials or bags is absolutely worthless. I processed 2 different types for a client the gold flakes (roughly 70 grams) this had no measurable amount of gold at all (I believe it was all copper). The second was gold sheets about 2 inches by 2 inches there were hundreds separated thin sheets of paper these were of some iron matrix that once aqua regia was formed it immediately precipitated a yellow voluminous fluff. To test what you have I would take a little bit and 1st see if you can get it to attract to a neodymium magnet. If it is non magnetic dissolve some in some 50/50 nitric if it is 23k it will mostly be unchanged by the nitric. If it almost all disappears than it is not 23k.

I guess I'll just have to buy a gold test kit to know for sure. I'm reading that it's possible to test with vinegar? I dont see how vinegar would be strong enough to truly test the gold, unless it is just plain NOT gold in which maybe vinegar would dissolve other metals? if it would I'd assume it would take quite a bit of time. But, maybe I'm wrong and vinegar is a good tester? if that's the case, please fill me in on the method to test with vinegar. If I'm not wrong and vinegar wont work then I guess a trip to buy a gold test kit is what I'll have to do.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

P.S. I'm not too sure regarding the lighter test? seems like it would not melt the gold and most likely contaminate with gold flake with black smudge? If I'm wrong about this please educate me on the method details for testing with a lighter.

You can test by dissolving a very small sample in muriatic acid and bleach and then test using stannous all the materials you need are easily available and the details to perform this test is here on the forum.

It won't give a definite answer, but it might help gain a little more knowledge of what you have. 22k and under leaf will tarnish over time and needs an application seal when used. Under low flame there shouldn't be much as in the away of effects on real. Maybe blackening from the soot of the flame.
Fakes have various effects. Melting like plastic to changing colors.

Nicks answer is on the money.

Take it to a local gold buyer and have test it for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rickzeien said:
Take it to a local gold buyer and have test it for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep as Rick says all you need is a man with an XRF

Back