rhodium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhcase

Supporting Member
I have been running my small lab for a number of years now.
I have now and again detected rhodium, it being so demanding and in such small quantities as the plating of silverware and jewelry.
It has never seemed necessary for me to try and recover independently to the normal dross of a base metal digestion and inquatation.
But I have never thrown any of it away and it should be in my primary waste drum.
I am planning to harvest this material soon, mostly Silver chloride and other insoluble compounds. with some metals.
I have run test lots and can recover everything but the rhodium.
Seeing as rhodium at £8,610 an ounce I am considering that may be a good portion of its value.
How are you at least recovering rhodium so you can come to a ruff idea of a value?
Or is it necessary to just get it into an alloy and send that to J-M (matthey.com)for an assay?

I mostly Inquart as silver by its self is not really worth the time to process.
But it does wash my mixed jewelry stock very nicely.
So both the plating on my silverware and ring settings tend to be very finely divided in the junk from my A.R. digestions once I am through with them.
Mostly AgCl. but also a small proportion of everything else that material has come into contact with despite my best efforts to convince them to do otherwise :).
So I am hoping that once I run a hot recovery and the normal refinements I should have a fairly concentrated waste product.
I will be able to detect the presence of Rhodium by A.R. and Stannous testing.
But my experiments tell me that I will only ever get a detectable amount of that element into the solution never anything more useful than that.
So Should I simply send that junk on in the hope someone else can make use of it, or do I at least make a passing attempt to quantify the content if not clean it up a bit before sale?

Back