Interesting Copper Removal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvinm4u

I’m assuming what I have below is copper chloride crystals, but I’m happy to hear other theories.

Essentially, I turned 5 gallons of various waste and evaporated them down to 1 liter. Added 1.5 liters of HCL and dropped in this copper spiral. I’m hoping to get any leftover PMs to drop.

C9BCA42F-AFCF-4A12-AF9C-CDFF79F61F55.jpeg

729EB317-C9A6-42B8-AC65-ECD22F01A8CE.jpeg

CuCl is soluble in HCl giving a dark brown solution. CuCl2 is soluble in water giving an emerald green solution.

Göran

Where did the waste come from? What should it contain making it interesting enough to process, and why did you evaporate, add HCL and cement on copper?
What did you expect to happen?

Martijn.

It was purely for interests sake. Metals in the waste would include gold, silver, PGM, copper, sodium, nickel, zinc, and iron.

If it's a chloride solution, it will not have gold and silver in solution at the same time in those volumes. CuCl is a bright, light green solid. CuCl2 is a dark green crystal that is very hygroscopic and will dissolve from the moisture in the air when exposed.

Back