Going good so far

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio721

Hey guys! Did my second batch of gold recovery and so far it’s going well, my question is though...is this nothing more than a hobby? I mean, when dealing the numbers- the cost and labor time, not to mention the cost of buying the ewaste, there is hardly any room for profit. Anyone care to share some tips on how to obtain a profit here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well inorder for that to work you’d be needing hundreds of free sourced items a day. While I agree hard work pays off, I’d like to focus on finding a practical way...I mean, when you go to eBay and type in scrap e waste, there’s tons to buy....but the buy price seems right around what you’d get in gold.

Most have given up on e-waste. Because of the reasons you mentioned.
The big boys refine the copper and get the pm anode slimes as a bonus.
I don't buy waste, I got most of my scrap from projects in the past and now i collect high grade pc boards.
If you look at it as a hobby, not counting the time put in, you can buy supply's from the gold you refine.
I'm in the plus that way.
Counting just the time for the work, i've made 1 cent an hour probably. And that's without a lot of studying time. Which i consider a hobby as well.
I'm looking for small jewelers bench and floor sweeps now.
Finding a good source of gold to refine can be more work than the refining itself.
So not much to be made in e waste. Good for getting some experience though. You get to deal with a lot of metals in different compositions.
And if you can make and sell jewelry from your refined gold and silver, you will increase your profit.
Martijn.

When I started, I got a lot of mine from a part time job. We cleaned up foreclosed homes for banks and it was fairly common to bring home half a dozen computers a week, sometimes more. The real jackpot was doing a house that had a weather station in it. I literally took home over 200lbs of boards and parts from that one job AND got paid to do it. As I got better, I started talking to people who dealt in buying gold and silver, I managed to get to buying their gold filled stuff at a decent price. I still have around 200lbs of motherboards, 50 pounds of cd drive boards, almost 8 pounds of IC chips from PC memory, and another 5lbs from various other boards. And boxes of stuff that I have forgotten what is in them. Might slow down one day and get them done yet. I used the ewaste to learn for several years since it was what I had. I used every bit of what I made from it to replace or buy new stuff to make it easier, quicker or just more fun when working with the material. I started buying gold filled a few hundred grams at a time, I just finished a lot that weighed 2051 grams, and have another lot to go pick up tomorrow. For me, this is still just a hobby as I work on it when I feel like it, more like when I feel well enough to do it. I enjoy it and even make some money now and then, and it helps keep me active.

eWaste can be cherry picked for the easy parts and resold to to turn over money. You still have some stuff to refine, and keep the bulky stuff moving out the way. There are people who just collect the boards and ship or carry them a refiner. There are many ways, but it requires some thinking, and planning as there isn't much room for error profit wise. Most people making good money from eWaste are doing it by turning over in bulk. If this is just your second time processing electronics, I would give it a bit more time and more tries. The more you work with it, the more little things you learn to help cut costs and time.

Shark said:
When I started, I got a lot of mine from a part time job. We cleaned up foreclosed homes for banks and it was fairly common to bring home half a dozen computers a week, sometimes more. The real jackpot was doing a house that had a weather station in it. I literally took home over 200lbs of boards and parts from that one job AND got paid to do it. As I got better, I started talking to people who dealt in buying gold and silver, I managed to get to buying their gold filled stuff at a decent price. I still have around 200lbs of motherboards, 50 pounds of cd drive boards, almost 8 pounds of IC chips from PC memory, and another 5lbs from various other boards. And boxes of stuff that I have forgotten what is in them. Might slow down one day and get them done yet. I used the ewaste to learn for several years since it was what I had. I used every bit of what I made from it to replace or buy new stuff to make it easier, quicker or just more fun when working with the material. I started buying gold filled a few hundred grams at a time, I just finished a lot that weighed 2051 grams, and have another lot to go pick up tomorrow. For me, this is still just a hobby as I work on it when I feel like it, more like when I feel well enough to do it. I enjoy it and even make some money now and then, and it helps keep me active.

eWaste can be cherry picked for the easy parts and resold to to turn over money. You still have some stuff to refine, and keep the bulky stuff moving out the way. There are people who just collect the boards and ship or carry them a refiner. There are many ways, but it requires some thinking, and planning as there isn't much room for error profit wise. Most people making good money from eWaste are doing it by turning over in bulk. If this is just your second time processing electronics, I would give it a bit more time and more tries. The more you work with it, the more little things you learn to help cut costs and time.
Thank you so much for the information shark! It really meant a lot.

Back