Bernzomatic

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdlcar

I have both of these torches.

Will this torch melt Sterling Silver Bernzomatic WT2301? I want it to cut up the flatware into BB's.

I know this torch will melt Silver Bernzomatic TS8000.

To find out I will have to buy one of these Bernzomatic14.1 oz. Propane Gas Cylinder it been a long time since I had to buy one.

I will buy 2 of these Bernzomatic14.1 oz. Map-Pro Cylinder that way I will have 3 so I won't run out.

You could cut your silver into small pieces and save the gas. The "corn flakes" will most likely dissolve quicker but isn't absolutely necessary. Often I cut flatware up with a pair of lineman's pliers or similar heavy cutting pliers.

I have problems with hedge clippers, I think they hate me as they never hold up very long or very well, even on bushes and trees. I don't think they would work well on any metals. Even regular cutting pliers will work if they will reach around the pieces you want to cut. The heavier duty cutters just make it a little easier on the hands. You can even hammer the pieces flat and thin to make them easier to cut. You also twist the thin, flattened pieces so they don't lay flat in the bottom of your container of acid and run them as is. I like to spend the time and money early on for things I have to have, later if things go well and I want to continue doing them I will spend out for the items that make it easier.

I'd just bend them over and hammer them flat to about the size of a old silver dollar, lot easier than cutting. You are just going to dissolve them anyway no need to make it hard on yourself.

jmdlcar said:
I have both of these torches.

Will this torch melt Sterling Silver Bernzomatic WT2301? I want it to cut up the flatware into BB's.

I know this torch will melt Silver Bernzomatic TS8000.
Both torches will work for silver. Actually, the WT2301 will melt gold using propane. What I learned is that although MAPP gives hotter flames than propane, having an adjustment knob on the torch makes the difference. You can't use the WT2031 with MAPP gas. I just bought the TS8000 about a week ago, and that thing melts my gold and silver super fast, whereas even with MAPP gas, using a torch without adjustments will have you burning all your fuel away because it's not really getting the metals as hot to get them to fully melt.

I wasted some MAPP and Propane trying to melt silver, all because my torch didn't have an adjustment knob.

scrapparts.

Back