KA Driver's videos - where may I find them?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReedKidd

Hello, Looking to get some more on refining processes and I saw to look up KA Driver's videos. I searched the forum but sis not see a link. Anyone here know if they are on this server?

Thank you,

Reed

Ole NC boy here quick question about palladium if I drop with dmg can it be melted after dried out or does it need further refining not going to rush into it Au Ag good with Pd new territory for me

Palladium-DMG, as well as palladium itself behaves nastily on melting. Preferably drop
with zinc, formic acid, ammoniac...

DNAREFINING said:
Ole NC boy here quick question about palladium if I drop with dmg can it be melted after dried out or does it need further refining not going to rush into it Au Ag good with Pd new territory for me

Per the underlined - No - Pd precipitated with DMG is a salt of the metal (in other words it is Pd in a "state" of oxidation) therefore it first needs to be "reduced" from it's oxidation state (salt) to it's actual metal state

One way to reduce metal salts to actual metal is a process called calcination

here is an article about calcination

:arrow: Incinerated filters and PM salts recovery

Normally - DMG is used "only" to "test" to see if Pd is in solution & NOT actually used to precipitate the Pd & that is because trying to reduce large amounts of DMG precipitated Pd is difficult at best

There are better ways to recover your Pd if you have Pd in solution (as pointed out by Lino 1406)

Tell us more about your situation - what makes you think Pd is in solution ? - How did it get there ? - what other metals might be &/or are in the solution with the Pd ?

We can not help you if you don't give more complete info :!:

Pics are always good also :!:

Kurt

First off thank you for responding
So I ran 1200g of gold filled scrap in 70% nitric to remove base metal filtered out the foils then incinerated them then went to ar gold went into solution but my solution was green? Does that mean pd the nitric solution was same color as well. Also I will be running white gold filled is it possible that they will contain pgms. Again thank you as I'm in no rush want to try but want to be educated first. Oh yeah the gold looked fantastic 1oz.

DNAREFINING said:
So I ran 1200g of gold filled scrap in 70% nitric to remove base metal
Did you use any water? We usually use a mix of 50% concentrated nitric with 50% distilled water.

gold went into solution but my solution was green? Does that mean pd the nitric solution was same color as well.
It usually indicates copper and/or nickel.

Also I will be running white gold filled is it possible that they will contain pgms.
It's possible, but not necessarily.

Dave

DNAREFINING said:
So I ran 1200g of gold filled scrap in 70% nitric to remove base metal filtered out the foils then incinerated them then went to ar gold went into solution but my solution was green?

Per the underlined - There are MANY metals that when in solution can cause a solution to be green - therefore you can not determine what is in solution simple based on the color of the solution - you NEED to "test" to determine what is (or not) in the solution

The first test should always be a stannous test

However - there are a number of false positive you can get with stannous - therefore further testing "may" be needed to confirm what you "think" the stannous test may (or not) say

Pd is one such metal - meaning you can get a false positive for Pd with stannous - therefore you want to test with DMG to confirm

Does that mean pd
maybe - maybe not --- that why you need to test

the nitric solution was same color as well.
same answer as above - color of the solution MEANS NOTHING - testing is how you determine what is (or not) in solution

Also I will be running white gold filled is it possible that they will contain pgms.
Maybe - maybe not - again - testing is what tells you what is in solution (or not) - so ------------

First - do a stannous test - take a pic of the test & post it here - we will go from there

For the stannous test - take a Q-tip - dip it in your solution (to get it wet) then put a drop of stannous on the Q-tip - then post a pic of the test for us to see

That's all I have time for today - will post more tomorrow (including links to testing)

Kurt

Thanks for the info Kurt. Working for the weekend. I'll let you know in a couple of days what test results show. Again Thanks

DNAREFINING said:

Per the underlined - yes it is "possible" - but that does not mean it's a sure thing

White gold is made by alloying gold with white metals that actually have the ability to "bleach" the yellow color from the gold thereby turning the gold white

in other words - it does not take a lot of the white metal to turn the gold white because a little bit of white metal actually bleaches the yellow from the gold

Not all white metals will do that - in other words - with some white metals it can take a lot of white metal to "wash out'" (or over come) the yellow color of gold --- silver is an example of this - silver will not actually "bleach" the color from gold - so it take a LOT of silver (alloyed with gold) before it washes out the yellow of the gold

Example; - if you alloy 75% gold with 25% silver you will not end up with white gold - you will just end up with a lighter yellow color of gold

On the other hand - platinum, palladium, & nickel are white metals that will actually bleach the yellow out of gold giving you a "gold" alloy that is "white" in color

Example; - it only takes (about) 25% of any one - &/or combination of those metals to turn gold from yellow to "white"

So - as much as white gold "may" have PGMs (Pt &/or Pd) in it - it is also "possible" that only nickel (or mostly nickel) was used to make the white gold

In other words - not all white gold is created equal as white gold can be made with any one of those metals &/or any combination of those metals

That is why testing is important :!:

One test you can do (before dissolving the white gold) is with a magnet - nickel is "very" magnetic - so if it (white gold) reacts to a magnet it is likely nickel white gold (or at least HIGH in nickel) - this of course depends somewhat on how strong the magnet is &/or how much it reacts with the magnet --- in other words its not an absolute test - but a test none the less

Once it is in solution (been dissolved) is when you want to do a stannous test (first) - if the stannous test indicates there is Pd in solution - you then want to confirm that with a DMG test

The best stannous test results (for the Pt &/or Pd) will be after you have dropped the gold - other wise the gold can over shadow &/or even hide the Pt &/or Pd

another test you can do - after you have dropped the gold from the solution - is to dip the end of a piece of copper wire in the solution - if there is Pt &/or Pd in the solution the Pt &/or Pd will "plate" onto the copper leaving a silver/grey to black plating on the end of the wire --- again this is not an absolute test - but an indicator - so a stannous test &/or DMG test should be done after using this as a test

Links to other things I have posted about testing

:arrow: Palladium precipitation

:arrow: sodium chlorate - palladium process

There is a lot in this thread about testing - read the whole thread --- in this thread I posted links to other things about testing - including info on false positives - follow those links as well

once you understand the testing for Pt &/or Pd - & are able to confirm that you in fact have those metals in solution - we will then talk about getting those metal back out of the solution(s)

Kurt

So guess I was hoping for a miracle because of color but stannous didn't lie even tried some dmg nothing fancy happened either. But hey thanks a million when I get to a point where I have something exciting I'll hit you up again my friend. Rain here for a week so off to the silver cell. Again thank you. Danny

Also I've never been on any forum so I kinda don't know how to post pics. When I figure it out I'll put some up later.

Thanks Dave I will definitely learn to post pictures. I've been working crazy hours guessing that is a good thing but out in the shop doing a experiment on pcbs and tried a dirty drop with smb and got some copper chloride 1 my question is what the heck to do with it was running stripped gold boards. Should I rerun material and drop with something different as I don't expect more than a couple of grams from 250 grams of boards. Just trying something different than ap as I have lots of ewaste. Like filled and karat better but its free material and free is always good thank you for your time
Danny

Also the reason I think it's copper chloride 1 is I ran whole shredded boards gold and copper so both would have went in ar but when I dropped the smb it would have reduced the hcl and robbed copper chloride 2 which Is why salt is white and not green maybe? Again thanks

Back