Intro and Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
First time posting, long time lurking as per usual.

My name is James aka Jungl3Jim, from the north of Auckland, New Zealand in a small place called Ahuroa.

I've been recovering silver scrap for a number of years just as a hobby. Certainly no big scrapper, but have always and will continue to, enjoy what I do.

Before I get to my question, I have to say a special thanks to Kadriver (Sreetips for me until I starting figuring out who was who), as your clip/vids have pretty much taught me the bulk of what I know in terms of processes. Legend and thank you :)

So.. over a short period I acquired a small amount of 9ct gold. I'm aware I should inquart, but decided to see what happened if I hit it with Nitric without doing so. Seemed to come up okay and looking like it should, nice and brown/caramel.
At that point I melted the remaining gold (+ whatever impurities still in there) back down and inquart with some cement silver down to approx. 6ct as all I wanted to do was see how the 9ct went.

Now my question being, as I've used my cement silver which the lot I used came from old cutlery and was darker than the majority I recover, do you think the green in the solution of my newly dissolving 6ct inquarted gold would be an indication of PGMs (likely paladium)? I'm near 100% certain there is very little copper.

Thanks for everything, all of you.
One of the best hobbies I have and never would have ended up where I am if not for you all.
Look forward to chatting.

Cheers!
JJ

vK652F.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
If you only used nitric on your gold scrap unless it was very thin you will not have dissolved all the base metals, if you weighed the scrap when you started and then again when you inquarted you should have your answer as to why your solution looks green.

butcher said:
you can always test your solutions to get an answer.
Yeah sorry I should have updated my post.. I couldn't find my SC solution, but did find some old tin laying about so was able to make some. Gave a slight indication of Pd
The solution will have the silver cemented back out anyway, then in to the silver cell I'm building so will hopefully recover from the slimes at some point.

nickvc said:
If you only used nitric on your gold scrap unless it was very thin you will not have dissolved all the base metals, if you weighed the scrap when you started and then again when you inquarted you should have your answer as to why your solution looks green.
Great point. I should have thought to weigh in stages. Will certainly keep that in mind

Cheers

Back