Noob questions, SOS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notveryeasy

So to give you guys an idea of how new I am, I just got my first few ounces of silver shot and now I'm REALLY interested in making my own "coin" out of it but I don't have ANY of the required tools! I stack silver and collect coins very regularly so I'd like to make this a part of my hobby as well!

I think I can get by with a matte (mappe?) gas torch, a crucible and safety.

My plan for the mold is to have an octagonal cup with the design at the bottom and the lid will fit down inside of the cup making a perfect fit to stamp down the top design while the metal is still malleable but not completely liquid. I also protruded and extrude the edges to make them stack like Legos. Tell me if you guys think this is even possible to machine or produce decent coins out of. I imagine without an air escape there will be some issue but do you think the pressure of them pushing together will help that?
Also for silver casting what material should the mold be made out of and should I use something on it to keep my silver from sticking? Its obviously got to be a very tough metal to withstand the stamping and preheating if that is also required.

Once I have my fire, crucible, mold (and maybe a mold release) and safety equipment are there any details I should keep in mind? I don't care much for specific weights because these will just be stacking up in my personal collection and looking pretty!

As im finishing up this post i realize maybe I should add an air hole on the top that i can also pour the metal down into the mold with. I can put it on a flat part of the face and easily remove it later id say.

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    326.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    344.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    624.3 KB · Views: 60
interesting!

I am no expert at all, but arent coins stamped rather than simply poored/molded?
I think they use blanks and place them in some kind of hydrolic press that will shape the coin faces with an upper and lower mold made from harder material.

To produce coins by using molten silver you will need to cast them, the only other way as alexx said is to stamp them which will require dies made of hardened steel and either pre stamped or cut blanks.
If you simply want to buy silver scrap cheaply and exchange that for coins we have a post by scrapman who advertises that service for the smaller lots which most can collect.

Back