Gold bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnwillow

Is it possible to pour bars like these or is this polished?
12204419-Hand-hold-gold-bars-Stock-Photo-gold-bar-coins.jpg

20160505_113730.jpg

The top picture is produced by industrial press and not poured.
Gold is very malleable so you could neaten up you little poured bar by hammering or a workshop press.If you annihlat when you see the Au starting to work harden.
But to get a uniform pressed bar requires a tool maker who can engrave your negative impression and a proper press.
But there is no difference in value, so why go to the expense?
Some people proffer the look of traditional poured bar's

Try Poco AF5 EDM graphite...get mirror finish bars like that. Melt in the mold under nitrogen.

Lou

How do I melt in a nitrogen atmosphere? I do have experience in casting gold jewelry but not in any sort of atmosphere, just plain vacuum.

Nice bars 4metals, are those your products?

If they were my bars, I would be posting this from my yacht. Since I am posting this from my couch, I will admit they were bars made by a client that I set up but he didn't give me any!

autumnwillow said:
Finest bars. Way better than those trapezoid looking bars. Topher show me your bars!

Haha! My bars!?!
More like baby nuggets!

I *really* wish i would have taken a picture of my last one...i ran out of melt dishesz so i used a corning ware french white piece... The swirl of the flame made it heart shaped.. It was beautiful.

Heres a couple of my feeble attempts at being a "refiner"

-okay, so its just one of my buttons, i will post the rest when i grab the sd card from my old phone.

-topher, the bar-less

Attachments

• 20151229_221633(1).jpg
    20151229_221633(1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 934
  • 20151229_221650.jpg
    20151229_221650.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 934
We have the same scratches in the gold! I guess those are from grabbing the gold or maybe when we toss them out of the mold.

autumnwillow said:
We have the same scratches in the gold! I guess those are from grabbing the gold or maybe when we toss them out of the mold.

I pluck mine out with a pair of "gold only" pliers.

As soon as i get/find/buy a oxy acetylene torch i plan on getting or making a good cone mold, buying some bar molds, and fabricating a bunch of things around the lab.
But everyone here thinks that their 10 year old torch and bottles are valued at 3 times more than they were new.

I hate my.local craigslist... Nothing but people advertising they want your scrap cars/cats/appliances -and- they will haul it for free! Or they want to sell you their 3 year old cell phone for 100 bucks more than what you could find a brand new one for on amazon or feebay.. ...a couple years ago, it was a great site, i made a good living buying-fixing-selling broken vehicles, computers, and cell phones... Now.. It seems as if its just a place for people to advertise their business, and no true "regular joe's" sell their stuff on their -or they just call the "free tow" people and get 50 bucks for their 2004 chevy impala or whatever...

I guess i cant complain (rant and ramble) about craigslist *too* much, as that is how i get the majority of my gold to refine...about once or twice a week i have someone sell me their lot of goldfilled/karat jewelry, so, theres that..

I just want/*NEED* a decent torch!

-topher

Topher_osAUrus said:
autumnwillow said:

I pluck mine out with a pair of "gold only" pliers.

As soon as i get/find/buy a oxy acetylene torch i plan on getting or making a good cone mold, buying some bar molds, and fabricating a bunch of things around the lab.
But everyone here thinks that their 10 year old torch and bottles are valued at 3 times more than they were new.

I hate my.local craigslist... Nothing but people advertising they want your scrap cars/cats/appliances -and- they will haul it for free! Or they want to sell you their 3 year old cell phone for 100 bucks more than what you could find a brand new one for on amazon or feebay.. ...a couple years ago, it was a great site, i made a good living buying-fixing-selling broken vehicles, computers, and cell phones... Now.. It seems as if its just a place for people to advertise their business, and no true "regular joe's" sell their stuff on their -or they just call the "free tow" people and get 50 bucks for their 2004 chevy impala or whatever...

I guess i cant complain (rant and ramble) about craigslist *too* much, as that is how i get the majority of my gold to refine...about once or twice a week i have someone sell me their lot of goldfilled/karat jewelry, so, theres that..

I just want/*NEED* a decent torch!

-topher

A MAPP gas torch from Home Depot will work fine for you.

This is what I have been using, and it is horrible. Even if its cranked all the way and if i have my regular propane torch cooking it too... It just doesnt have the nuts

Either that, or i dont have the brains.

Probably a combination of both :oops:

Attachments

• 0519161500.jpg
    0519161500.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 902
Topher

Here is my set up for small gold melts - 2 ozt melts - noooo problem

what kind of flame does your torch put out - mine puts out what they call a swirl flame

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20160519_16_05_56_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20160519_16_05_56_Pro[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 899
  • WP_20160519_16_00_28_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20160519_16_00_28_Pro[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 899
It's all in the graphite, purity, cooling rate. No better graphite than what I recommended (Italians pay attention!). That and melting in mold to avoid turbulence. Those tunnel bar ingots are done on a water cooled plate and melted in situ with induction. IECO used to have a video somewhere...

1463711135236843317554.jpgMy friends, from my very limited experience its all about the kiln. Make it as insulated as possible, put your flame not directly on the gold but rather make it to where it formes a tornado in our kiln. Circling around your crucible. Also make sure you keep your import hole for your torch head nice and tight. Els u run the chance of blowback melting ur head.....

kurtak said:
Topher

Here is my set up for small gold melts - 2 ozt melts - noooo problem

what kind of flame does your torch put out - mine puts out what they call a swirl flame

Kurt

I looked for the box thst came with the torch, and i have misplaced it.

I do believe it was a "swirl" flame, but, now I am doubting myself.

Heres a couple pictures

And a youtube video, because the pictures dont really help..

https://youtu.be/nZ00uTWyyO0

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 0520161247.jpg
    0520161247.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 829
Back