HELLO FROM WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KURNALL

G'DAY FROM WA . OZ !!
My name is chris , live in perth on the west coast of Australia . I am glad to finally find a group /site / forum that shares the same passion and interest in the recovery process . i am relatively new to gold recovery and am still in the learning stages of which process suits the different types of scrap . There are very few people that i know or have heard of, that know anything about the recovery process over here and even more sceptics on the possible yields .
What i lack in tech knowledge about the processes , i make up for in skill and cunning on where to find the higher yielding scrap and ability to learn quickly and correctly the first time .
If anyone happens to know of anyone on this site, that are from perth or australia, would appreciate a point in their direction as in where to obtain the chemicals / lab equip locally and at a decent cost . Is a nightmare trying to get anything other than bottled water past customs and even that gets scrutinised .
I have many , many questions about lots of different tech topics which I'm hoping to find the answers from this site .
I currently have about
10-15 kg of processed cpu boards ( all high gold content i reckon )
250 g solid/plated gold pieces from various electronics
500 g of gold fingers cut and trimmed

hopefully i don't stuff up any of the processes and watch my hard work go up in smoke .

Anyway , enough gibberish from me , wanted to say " hi all " , guessing i will talk to some of you soon .

regards,

Chris (Ozzie Noob )

G'day Chris,
Welcome to the forum. Good to have another Aussie on the forum. I'm a Melburnian.
Please make you read all the announcement posts. In particular, pay attention to the safety section. It's very easy to kill yourself doing this.

You can get lab gear from labsupply.com.au. They're not real cheap, but they seem to have some good kit.
I found filter papers on eBay from China. They seem pretty good to me.
Bunnings will have your hydrochloric acid in the concreting section. They also have funnels, safety gloves and masks. Apparently they also stock sulphamic acid if you want to go that route.
I still have no idea where we can get real nitric acid. So I use sodium nitrate, made out of ammonium nitrate cold packs from OfficeWorks. Youtube has a Nurdrage video explaining how to do it properly with stoichiometric amounts. Bunnings also has sodium hydroxide (caustic soda).
Wherever Chlorox bleach is mentioned, you can use White King (regular, don't use lemon).
Sodium metabisulphate (SMB) powder is available at brewing stores for about $10/kg.

You've got an awful lot of reading ahead of you. Make sure you get a copy of C M Hoke's book. There are several people who have links in their signatures where you can download it.

Hi Jason ,

Cheers for your reply cobba ! ( soz , had to throw in a bit of aussie slang )

Apologies for the late reply , have been off the grid , reading and researching all the different methods that suit different scrap types …… i must say what a task !

Found myself wandering off topic reading some peoples ridiculous comments and advice , then watch them get tuned up for being muppets - respectfully and professionally of course !! bloody good for a laugh and a break every now and again .

Anyway found an awesome lab / chemical supply company, who are not only well priced , they are australia wide !

The name is ROWE SCIENTIFIC

Check their website , it hasn't been updated for a few months but enquired today for some of the lab gear , beakers , flasks etc and they will either price match their sale prices or get a similar item for similar price . They also do nitric acid off the shelf , stannous chloride crystals ( and tin powder ) if you want it and also they can make any type of solution at any given % e.g. copper chloride , for a small fee depending on the ingredients .

Like i said they are OZ wide and are very knowledgeable and helpful in all aspects and will save you a few bucks aswell .

Anyway thanks for your pointers on where to source some of the stuff i need .

Gotta get some zzz its 2.30 am

have a good one and talk soon

Regards ,

Chris

Im Chris also from Western Australia would love to talk to you as we have a lot in common by the sounds of it,
my email is bigcowpushedme@hotmail
mob 0410869814
regards
chris

Kurnall last visited the forum in November, 2014. I doubt he will see your post.

Time for more coffee.

Back