Coming back and looking for new friends...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord_Phoenix

Hello everyone! I was on here for a short while a few years ago, but I got sucked into the dark side of "real-life" and had to put hobbies on the (WAY) back-burner...

However, things have changed for me, and now that I have a move completed --- I am ready to set my shop back up and really dive back into what I started....

So, I have a fair pile of electronic scrap that I have (mostly) broken down into components. Now I am beginning the process of sorting it out, and further breaking it down into pieces that can (eventually) be refined... I am only looking to do this at a HOBBY level, and mostly am looking for a way to kill time instead of zoning out on the tv (or you-tube...)

Right now, I would love to see if there is anyone else in the Dallas-Fort Worth (Texas) area, and if so, if we could maybe plan a time to catch up and swap tips... Or such...

I will be around, thanks for having me here!

Hey everyone, so I just downloaded (again) a copy of Hoke's book (thanks frugalrefiner for the work on that!)... My last copy disappeared with a flash drive. So, I am going to be doing some reading in the days to come.

I have a pretty good pile of silver scrap in my workshop, and a growing pile of IC chips and circuit fingers.... I just need to get my head wrapped around the process for processing each type.... Am I right in thinking that processing the silver would be the easier process? Or would it be easier for me to work on the fingers?

Finally, I wanted to again try and see if there was anyone in the DFW / N. Texas area that might want to meet up and talk shop? Or possibly even take on a "trainee" / "apprentice"?

Your biggest problem with silver is access to affordable nitric, if you have that then crack on with your silver if not a good starting point is fingers.
Good luck and spend lots of time reading before starting any process.

Nick nailed it.
Nitric expense is the killer when doing silver operations, but if you plan on doing kilos of it, you can easily find a 15gallon keg for a few hundred bucks plus deposit. If you are doing smaller amounts, there are online vendors that will ship to your doorstep... But, for pretty much the same price plus keg deposit you can get 5x the amount from elsewhere..(if you go get it)

As far as "beginner friendly" processes go, gold is much more forgiving than silver (in my opinion)

Im about 6 hours away from dallas-fort worth area, but have family there. I know there are a few members in that area, but I dont think they visit the forum daily

Thanks Nick and Topher! Luckily, I do have a great source for Nitric, and can get it (effectively) for free.... As my current goal is to just "play", I will likely just create a pile of refined metal for a "rainy day" fund. I want to learn mostly, and maybe one day do this a little bigger.

Topher, I have some friends up in KS as well.... But, the next time you are in the area, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain!

Well your off to a good start then with free nitric.
Before you do any process check the progression of it from scrap plus chemicals to safety and safely disposing of your waste materials and chemicals...
There is a good reason why waste has been labelled the elephant in the room :shock:

Back