Growing old and retirement

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold_V

Moderator Emeritus
viacin,

I was a machinist for 26 years, having been trained in a missile facility as a youngster right out of high school. Self employed for the last 16 of them. When I closed the doors on my shop, it was because of our move to the castle, which was not finished. I expected I'd start the shop once again, but by the time I had the lab up and running, I was so far behind in refining that I never seemed to get caught up again. By then, it came in as fast as I could get it out, and just got better and better. I had no need to machine any longer, and gladly abandoned any plans to do so again. I was disenchanted with the machines by then, and still don't enjoy running them, although I still have a shop full.

I specialized in small work, plus did a great deal of tooling for the aero-space industry (guidance systems for defense). I no longer had anything to prove, and was enjoying refining like you can't believe. For me, it was sheer magic. Still, as time wore on and I found myself ever busier, right down to working on Christmas and New Years, I knew things had to change.

My life has been filled with small rewards, but I must confess, I've earned every one of them. Nothing has come easily for me. I lack education-----but I don't know the meaning of the word NO-----I feel I can accomplish anything I desire----I just have to work at it a bit harder than guys that have an education. I'm also gifted with a commodity that tends to be rare these days----common sense.

Don't let my thoughts change yours. We are not the same person. You may find yourself deeply immersed in a successful refining business and be happy as can be. I had different objectives in mind. I wanted to play a little----to be able to get out of bed in the late morning and do with my time what I damned well please..

Aside from my house building project, I am free to do as I wish. I retired just before I turned 55, and have enjoyed every moment of my retirement.

Good luck with your venture.

Harold

TY Harold,

your machining sounds far more advanced than my simple job shop machining. I made some dies for a plastic mold extruder a few days ago, and I thought I was really doing something. I applaud you, you're probably the smartest machinist I know, including my boss. lol. Around these parts of alabama, you mention the word CNC, or lathe, and people look at you like your crazy. If I had a dollar for every guy I've seen measure a bearing with a tape rule....

Education is one of my weakest links. I'm not proud to say that I have a formal 3rd grade education, with a 10th grade home school education. I've managed to add a GED, and I'm now trying for a degree in electrical engineering and robotics. Unfortunantly I was not gifted with common sense either, just an ability to soak up information like a sponge. I tend to see the small picture and not the big ones. Some days I feel like I could find the forest if I could just cut these stupid trees down.

I've always dreamed of retiring at 50, but it seems so far away some days and so close others. It all works out though. Time is my greatest ally in this uphill battle called life. And I'm determined to win.

your move to the castle? I assume you speak metaphorically?

edit: My ability to spell was impaired by the amount of sleep I received last night. Corrected.

viacin said:
I made some dies for a plastic mold extruder a few days ago, and I thought I was really doing something.
And you were! All of it is important----it need not be defense in nature. Key is to learn to operate the machine to it's capacity. If you know how to run the machine, what the parts fit doesn't matter.

Education is one of my weakest links. I'm not proud to say that I have a formal 3rd grade education, with a 10th grade home school education. I've managed to add a GED, and I'm now trying for a degree in electrical engineering and robotics.
I was hired by Sperry Utah Engineering Laboratory in '57, where I received my training. We were involved in the R&D phase of the Sergeant Missile, then went on to production, until it was phased out by the Army. Many of the engineers on the project had no college degree, but they were more than qualified to do the work. That, of course, was then. It would be difficult in today's world to find such employment without the sheepskin.

Formal education isn't for everyone. I'm a good example. I didn't have the drive it takes to pursue an education----something I regret now----but I was not hampered in life for lack of one. I made sound decisions (except for marrying my first wife) and accomplished my goals to my satisfaction. I was also wise enough to not set unreasonable goals. I can't think of much that can be more discouraging than to work your buns off and never achieve success. That can be tempered by knowing one's limitations and capabilities. I knew, for example, that if I pursued a career in electronics, it would be very difficult for me. I had the interest, but I couldn't put things together mentally, very unlike mechanical things.

Unfortunantly I was not gifted with common sense either, just an ability to soak up information like a sponge. I tend to see the small picture and not the big ones. Some days I feel like I could find the forest if I could just cut these stupid trees down.
It pays to keep one's mind open to some degree, especially in a case like that. Others often can see what is obvious, but not to you. Tough part is being able to put your ego in neutral and accept what can be very good and constructive information.

I've always dreamed of retiring at 50, but it seems so far away some days and so close others. It all works out though. Time is my greatest ally in this uphill battle called life. And I'm determined to win.
One piece of advice. Do not wish your life away. Mine has gone by so quickly that I can't believe I'm 69. I look in the mirror and don't recognize the old man I see. Regards retirement, I firmly believe that key to a successful retirement is to be able to live a humble existence and not be in competition with anyone. I can't afford a new car every year, nor do I care to buy one. I drive an old ('94) 3/4 ton Dodge p/u, powered by a Cummins engine. It serves me perfectly well, although it isn't new and shiny. I also have a '99 Dodge 1 ton cab & chassis, with a 10' box mounted on the rear. Bought it new. I drive it infrequently--so infrequently that it has only 13,000 miles on it. Were it not for dragging my tired old '89 travel trailer, I wouldn't need that truck at all.

I do not buy expensive wines, and I don't smoke. I also refuse to pay more than a dollar for a cup of coffee. One must take stock of their principles and come to terms with the idea that others are more than willing to take all they can from you. I don't take kindly to being screwed.

your move to the castle? I assume you speak metaphorically?
All depends on one's concept of a castle.

We designed and built this one, http://www.castleutah.com/ but ran out of money before it was finished. By the time I had enough resources to finish the project, I had no interest in doing so. After considerable time on the market (problems with zoning for the prospective buyers) we sold it to the current owners, who converted the structure to a 10 room bed & breakfast. Once it was sold, we moved to Washington, where we had purchased 5½ acres of land a few years prior. We knew, long before I retired, that we would not remain in the castle. Thus it was not finished. Best move we ever made.

By the way, the top floor of the left hand side was my lab. It was built specifically for refining.

Harold

Shecker said:
Let us make a point of not even talking about first wives.

Yeah! Sure. I'll also make it a point to not breath. :lol:

Surely, you're kidding, aren't you Shecker :?:

If not, you apparently don't have an ex :!:

Harold

Harold,

Your former castle is amazing. Wow, what a pipe dream of mine. Maybe someday. :)

" I can't think of much that can be more discouraging than to work your buns off and never achieve success."
This, is my greatest fear in this refining quest of mine. As you probably know, I have found a supply of gold scrap that apparently no one else knows about/wants. It's so incredibly cheap that I could make 4 times the price of the scrap in the refined gold (assuming 12.5% purity). This just seems too unbelievable to me. I'm afraid that what I have found isn't gold at all, or at least so impure that it's not worth it. If this is the case, I fear my intrest in refining will fall out. But the knowledge I've managed to absorbed on this forum, and the friends I've made along the way, are life changing and I cannot let it pass me by, one way or another. I just hope all goes well.

"I've always dreamed of retiring at 50"
To me, doing as I please with no one to argue with, or to tell me how I must go out of my way to do as they wish, is eutopia. Perhaps what I truly seek is a business of my own, with no employees, no customers, and no work to do. :) but this could never exist, so I suppose I will have to settle with retirement. I do enjoy my job some days. I have seniority, get to train people, and actually do something that matters. But I suppose it's the day-in day-out repeatability that gets me.

"I do not buy expensive wines, and I don't smoke. I also refuse to pay more than a dollar for a cup of coffee. One must take stock of their principles and come to terms with the idea that others are more than willing to take all they can from you. I don't take kindly to being screwed."
Well put. Someone always has their hand out, looking for their deal. But I do enjoy a good cigar now and again.

Noxx said:
I enjoyed reading this :p It's interesting how much you can learn based on other's experience.

That's what make this forum so interesting. :wink:

So give us an update on your life Noxx. How's school coming ?
I bet it's colder than a witch's tit up there right now. :p It's like 65 Degs F
here today. But i'm not complaining.

Hey,

School's coming good so far.

It's also quite cold over here. It's now 0F over here.

All my refining activities are on hold for a few months because my lab is not insulated at all.

On the other hand, I incorporated my company this morning :p
So I'm currently working hard on making business cards, a decent website, ect...

Harold_V said:
Shecker said:
Let us make a point of not even talking about first wives.

Yeah! Sure. I'll also make it a point to not breath. :lol:

Surely, you're kidding, aren't you Shecker :?:

If not, you apparently don't have an ex :!:

Harold

I almost have an X, although not technically the same I think it falls under the same jurisdiction.

"Tough part is being able to put your ego in neutral and accept what can be very good and constructive information."
Harold I had to print this quote.

Harold said:
"Tough part is being able to put your ego in neutral and accept what can be very good and constructive information."
butcher said:
Harold I had to print this quote.
It's one I coined-----based on observations of people, primarily young men. As a group, they are as near to being morons as any group can get. It takes a heap of growing up for most young guys to become civilized.

:!: I was no exception. :!:

If you could have purchased me for what I was worth, and sold me for what I thought I was worth (as a young man), you'd have done well. Very well, indeed!

Harold

Well guys...it's funny how things work. I always said I wanted to retire by the time I was 55. I had a great job working for Timken Bearing, a wife, a house that was paid for, and 2 fairly new vehicles that were paid for also. I had this dream of having a family, saving a little money, and one day buying some land in the country and building a beautiful log home. Well, turns out that my wife wanted to spend every dime she could get her hands on and soon I had nothing and was in debt so far I thought I'd never see the light of day again. I finally had to make the decision to get a divorce (we had no children), leave the house and the newest vehicle behind. It was hard to do, but I realized that I would never have anything there and I would be working till I was 90. I worked 60 to 90 hours a week and finally got all of my debts caught up then lost my job along with about 200 others due to downsizing. We made wheel bearings for large SUV's and pick-ups and the demand for that went down to nothing. It was upsetting at first, but as I thought about it, it wasn't so bad after all. I have a house now that is paid for ( my homeplace), a truck that is paid for, and a little money still in my pocket. I have always had the thought in the back of my mind to have my own business, and with the help of a couple other great guys, it's becoming clearer in my vision...who knows?? Maybe one day that "bird" will fly!! At least I'm happy now, and with only a highschool education, I'm not smart enough to know any better! No...just kidding. Common sense is worth more than any degree you can receive.

Back