Hmmm - different PM prices ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtak

OK - for the last several weeks (2 or 3 months now) I have been watching the FOX Business channel in the morning while having coffee before getting ready for work & at the bottom of the (TV) screen it shows what's going on with the market(s) according to the New York Stock Exchange which is a live feed of what's going on with the market (DOW, S&P, NAS' - etc.) --- but it also shows the commodities oil, gold & some days silver

Then because I am also logged on here to the forum (while having morning coffee) I am also looking at the kitco feed which is also (supposedly) a New York "live" feed

But there is price difference (everyday) between the two feeds with the FOX channel feed always being "high" then the kitco feed

Example; - as of the time of post this - the FOX feed is telling me gold is at $1268.00 & silver is at $14.78 --- but kitco is telling me gold is at $1262.60 (difference of $5.40) and silver is at $14.67 (difference of 11 cents)

So why the difference (everyday) with FOX always being the higher :?: :?: :?:

Kurt

I imagine that one is quoting the London spot market and the other is using
the New York spot market prices.

Can it be the spread between sell and buy level. One is quoting the sell and the other the buy, that would always give a higher spot for the one quoting the sell level.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Can it be the spread between sell and buy level. One is quoting the sell and the other the buy, that would always give a higher spot for the one quoting the sell level.

Göran

That could be - I have noticed that if you go to the actual kitco web site they show an "ask" and a "bid" price

:arrow: https://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

I have never checked to see if this ask/bid price is the same difference as what I see between the FOX feed & the kitco here on the forum

Will have to take a closer look at that when the markets open up again (after X-mass)

Edit to add; - right now the difference between ask/bid is only a dollar (but market is closed)

when watching FOX & looking at the forum kitco the difference is always "several" dollars (when market is open)

Kurt

Business channels' quotes are for gold futures, not spot. Futures prices are higher because:

"The cost of holding a futures contract include interests, financing costs, and storage costs to name a few"

Dr.xyz said:
Business channels' quotes are for gold futures, not spot. Futures prices are higher because:

"The cost of holding a futures contract include interests, financing costs, and storage costs to name a few"

Ahhh - ok - that makes sense :mrgreen:

Kurt

Back