An old con or economical Au extraction form sea water?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true mad or intentional deception?

• Dr Dan Williams phd has cracked the age old problem in an economical manner.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr Dan Williams phd is a delusional crack pot and is unintentionally misinforming the public .

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Dr Dan Williams phd is operating a deliberate deception for financial gain's.

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

justinhcase

Supporting Member
Yet again some one is saying they have cracked the problem of extracting gold form sea water.
Any one feel like clubbing together so we can find out what this chap is selling.
http://revistaera.com/index.php/new-solar-powered-device-extracts-gold-from-sea-water

Plausibility check: What would you do, if you would have invented something like this? Sell it to everyone? Yes, you could invest in going short, but wouldn't it be easier and safer just to make as much gold as you need to have a good life without crashing the gold market?

Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold. (Source NOAA) http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gold.html

Assuming 100% extraction you need to have 1/13*10^-9 liters of fresh sea water pass by in very close to the electrodes. That's 77000 cubic meters for one gram.
The price of $99 for a basic unit is claimed to repay itself in 45 days. Which is about three grams of gold. That's 230 thousand cubic meter per 45 days or close to 5 thousand cubic meter per day... or 60 liters per second.

Is it possible to extract such a diluted source that fast to 100%? If not then the flow rate must go up. Is it even plausible that you have that flow around a buoy just off shore?
Remember that to recover a gold atom it has to be close to the electrode, like less than millimeters off it or it will just flow past.

Justin, what do you think?

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold. (Source NOAA) http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gold.html

Justin, what do you think?

Göran
Well considering I can not find any relevant papers by a Dr Dan Williams apart form this product.
And he seems to be aiming at a quick turnover of small unit's.
Then I would say "C" Dr Dan Williams phd is operating a deliberate deception for financial gain's.
But if I am completely fair he might not be dishonest and just be mad as a box of frog's.
I just thought it interesting to see if any shared my point of view.
After all he is using "Rare Earth Magnet's" to improve the collection of an element that is not known for it's magnetic attraction.
I particularly like the part about testing in bucket's and well water.How meany liters would he have had to pump to get even an amount detectable by conventional mean's.
May be some thing my very limited understanding and recall had not seen yet.
Thought it might be fun to buy a unit and tear apart scientifically in a pythonesque style.

Awhile back a Ph.D. Student at SUNY reached out to me about a resin that would fetch in the 30-50 ppb range Au.

I told him that it'd probably be something nice to install at a desalinization plant in the Middle East or, preferably right before the brine gets made into salt for chloralkali.

If it was was plausible, he wouldn't need investors. Harold says money never goes looking for people, think about that. I have to call shenanigans on that.

I may be some dumb but I'm not plumb dumb.

Recovering gold from sea water should be treated as say platinum group metal mining. The PGMs aren’t profitable to mine by themselves but are actually a useful byproduct of pentlandite and cobalt refining at least in Africa. It’s certainly possible to say remove the gold from the salts if this was a desalination plant looking for a way to purify the salt crust for use in food or to store away in a bunker somewhere to keep it from causing too much salt in the sea while recovering the gold for further profit. However because the amount of gold Even concentrated to salt crust is tiny, the profit margins are slim even if you got all your equipment for free. It would only be worthwhile if gold was in high demand and there was an enormous amount of salt stored away somewhere to extract from.

Back