Simple business idea - colloidal silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

While it has not much with refining as it is it involve precious metals precisely silver.
Anywhere you look colloidal silver is being sold for extremely over inflated prices yet it is so easy to make. I have no clue what warrant charging 20$ for 100-200ml yet that is about average price of what it is being sold.
I will not go in detail about what it can be used for, internet is full of information.
I did not wanted to focus on hard to prove but evident medical benefits and I am not trying to push it as a cure-for-all ailments but I wanted to focus rather on proved and tested antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. There is no secret that silver is being used more and more often in hospitals and that got my attention.
This is work in progress and I am testing it for last few weeks and it seems as a good idea to make more out of your silver.
If anyone want to try this I can go into more details but for now here is what I do make and what I do have now.

DSCF5318.JPG

Cost of making it? You need to invest little bit on start but after that it is pretty much negligent.

Yes, good catch. It is different, I just did not wanted people to drink it but rather use it as disinfectant. Nothing will happen if you drink some ionic silver, generally only long time exposure and some higher amounts digested may lead to complications.
label.PNG

In what way is the silver ionic? I thought that colloidal silver was metallic and not as ions.

Göran

Colloidal is metallic that is correct. You generally need higher voltage and prolonged time to make colloidal silver. Smaller voltage and shorter time and majority of what you make will be ionic silver. The longer you apply current the more colloid will be made. It does not really matter in this instance when you want to use it as disinfectant as it work either way, ionic or colloid.

Silver in ionic form is dissolved in the solution. Here in the US, any solution containing an excess of 5 ppm of Silver (a RCRA metal) is considered a hazardous waste by the Resource Conservation Recovery Act.

And colloidal silver may or may not pass the TCLP testing procedure used to determine if a metal passes the RCRA limit.

This product may be flying under the radar here in the US because it is sold. Don't know if it has been tested to determine its status as a hazardous metal.

When I was with that film refinery in Texas, in 2004, any solution exceeding 1 ppm silver could not be put down the drain. The local EPA checked our drainage system quite often.

That is interesting, considering it is quite widespread mainly in US hospitals. There are literally hundreds of websites in US where it is being sold.

In order for it to be considered a hazardous waste, it first has to be a waste. If it has a use (with some limited exceptions), it is not a RCRA waste. Many products sold in the US are in fact hazardous and those are regulated by DOT and others. Those hazardous products can become hazardous waste as soon as you wish to dispose, abandon, discard, etc.

My point is that in the US if there is an established provider of this product, and they have gone through all of the documentation necessary to label and provide MSDS data then they should be fine. But a small time, even hobby sized refiner getting into this, needs to be sure that they provide all of the proof that they are not just selling a potential pollutant. If you really think about it, if the product is shipped by FedEx or UPS, there are DOT requirements and if you don't consider them the government likes to come down hard on the little guy.

Picture a small time chemist deciding he wants to go into the pesticide or pharmaceutical business? Big business would have the Fed's up their butts in a heartbeat.

My point is that in the US if there is an established provider of this product, and they have gone through all of the documentation necessary to label and provide MSDS data then they should be fine. But a small time, even hobby sized refiner getting into this, needs to be sure that they provide all of the proof that they are not just selling a potential pollutant.

Point well taken and understood. To take it a step further, there would be some additional liabilities associated with the manufacture and selling of a product in the US such as the one Patnor has described. Not sure how it would all apply to the manufacturing out of county with the products being sold to residents or businesses within the US.

It is probably worth mentioning that silver is considered a priority pollutant and I think it is analogous to using ozone to "clean" indoor air. I would agree with Patnor that silver is an effective disinfectant for cleanable surfaces. One little tidbit: I remember reading years ago that silver nitrate (dilute) drops would be put into newborns eyes to prevent the spread of sexual transmitted disease and that the newborn would have "black" eyes for a while from the reaction of the silver nitrate with the sun light. I don't think that is practiced anymore in the US, but it could still be done in other parts of the world.

Too much Silver, like too much Cyanide, will kill the bacteria that are in the waste. The digesting tanks that used bacteria to process the waste are negatively affected by contaminants in the waste stream, Cranberry production waste is also a problem, that doesn't mean it is a severe problem.
I accidentally discovered that reducing Silver Oxide with Hydrogen Peroxide generates a large percentage of Colloidal Silver and is a quick and convenient method of production.

I posted awhile back on the copper sulfate parting cell thread about ZEP brand root killer. 99% copper sulfate crystals. We all know that copper salts are toxic and dumping copper salts into the ground can get you into trouble. It's perfectly legal to buy a kilo of copper sulfate crystals at Lowe's and dump it down your toilet. Copper in ground water is toxic and aquatic life is very susceptible to copper contamination. At least silver does have some health benefits.

Back