Casting a 2tonne block of gold (yes I said 2tonne)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am a prospective author researching for my first novel. The plot requires that my characters dispose of two tonnes of stolen gold. UK law on treasure (treasure trove) states that gold or silver buried treasure of artistic or historic value is the property of the Crown (these days the UK government), but that the finders and the property owner where the find is made are rewarded at full value. There are lots of rules to follow and it takes about two years but it would provide a way of turning the gold into cash at full value and tax free. Obviously turning up with several hundred ingots bearing the stamp of a mining company that has just had several hundred ingots stolen from it is not very clever, so my characters propose to convert the gold into a 10th century religious alter. They then pretend to find it, hand it over, and claim the reward. Of course they will firstly adulterate the gold with some copper and silver to simulate the degree of refining available in the 10th century. At first I had thought of them creating Saxon jewellery or Spanish Doubloons but the conversion process would be too complex and time consuming, and the fakes too easy to spot. A massive find on this scale would create so much infighting amongst the academic community that they just might loose sight of the fraud, as they did in the case of Piltdown Man.

I need help on the following technical points.
Can a large casting be created by pouring many shots into the same mould? The casting process may be spread over several weeks.
Would the metal fuse together to form single block or would the separate pours just split apart easily?
Typically 10th century gold would be approximately 21-22 carat because the technology did not exist in Europe to refine it further. The various pours would have slightly different amounts of impurity as there would have been no way to measure or to make them consistent.
Did better refining techniques exist in Central America around the same period?
What is the biggest gold cast ever made? by who? when? how?

If my math is right, two metric tons of pure gold would only be a cube 18.5" (47 cm) on a side and 21-22K gold would be a little bigger. Not too big for one pour, I would think, with the right equipment. Maybe they could get in cahoots with the owner of a big foundry. I have known companies that shut down their plant for 2 weeks and everyone takes their vacation at the same time. That might be a good time to do it.

Except for the impurities, once the gold is melted, it loses it's identity. I once heard about a refiner that bought (for a song) 2 very hot 18K chalices stolen from a church that weighed several pounds each. Within minutes of buying them, they were in the furnace.

Some old bronze sculptures I have seen were cast in pieces and then attached together with some type of fastener.

Alec Guinness in "The Lavender Hill Mob" cast the gold into Eiffel Tower souvenirs (and painted them black, I seem to recall) and tried to smuggle them out of the country.

It would probably be smart to get several samples of real 10th century gold and have it analyzed for the impurities. Then you would have a better idea of what to add to the stolen gold.

If I owned a large mining company, I might add to the gold a few ppm (in exact quantities) of some oddball metal that would never be found in gold (if one exists), to act as a tracer. Maybe, that's how your thieves could end up getting caught

If you could get the gold to a place without many gold regulations, like the US, you could open up several scrap jewelry buying locations. Then, you could alloy the stolen gold to about 12K and ship a little here and a little there to refiners along with the scrap you were buying.

Maybe they could get in cahoots with a huge scrap buyer like cash4gold and shuffle in the stolen gold. Someone like that slimy looking guy that runs cash4gold would surely jump at the opportunity. Of course, they would certainly get screwed and would be lucky to end up with 10 cents on the dollar.

I would guess that making multiple pours into one casting would tend to separate between layers, especially if the gold wasn't pure.

Our resident gold caster, 61 silverman, should chime in on this.

What a fun notion! Surely, if one could smuggle 2000 kilograms of gold, one could find a way to "launder it".

Personally, if it were me, I'd just build myself a nice propane-air fired furnace add some scrap platinum to it and keep the alloy at 20K. This is a beautiful bronze-looking material, except considerably heavier. Then I'd go to or start a bell foundry and make myself a nice "bronze" bell to go with the beautiful boat I'd buy for myself. I could then sail away into the sunset quite happy. I'd probably also do some nice lost wax castings of gold ornaments for my yacht :)

A gold altar of that size would be something suspicious, I would think. At least coming from the 10th or 11th century before large foundries were established. You'd need one hell of a crucible to hold that much mass, and you can't cast it piecemeal, it will separate, especially if it is not pure (an oxide layer will form as it cools).

Much better would be a trove of Atocha-styled gold ingots and rounds/pucks buried as pirate's (or even a duke or lord's personal treasure from the Spaniards) hidden in some cache out in the somber British countryside.

Wow. What writers do while researching.

I never casted gold, only Al, but a 2 ton gold cube would need a 50 cm side cube crucible to melt. Only a reverb furnace could do that. With a good insulation and some oil burners maybe at once. :|

Anything claiming to be that old would go to the British Museum for authentication and valuing so I fear your idea is dead before you start,as to the idea of alloying the metals this has been done before with the Brinks haul by rumour...

One way to make it appear old is to dope the gold with the powdered form of something that is very old.

Steve

I had a customer that had 3 or 4 Kilos of 17th century dutch spoons and forks which I had to melt into an ingot in a new crucible,this I gather was then sent to an outworker to be rolled into sheet don't know what was made but it would pass metallurgical examination into the provenance of the silver :roll:

Thanks for the feedback.
Firstly I am writing a novel here, not a manual on how to launder gold.
I want to make it as authentic as possible and find out what is practical, but the best bit of a writing novel rather than a technical manual, is that I can use poetic licence. (Although in my day job as an industrial design engineer, I find that 'poetic licence' does occasionally appear in tech. manuals)

In my plot stealing the gold is the easiest part, more a matter of being in the right place at the right time. It sets a background for the nub of the book which is how to get away without being apprehended. Laundering the gold needs three criteria. 1 It should be done in secret so that you don't get caught, that implies avoiding other criminals, fences and the like. When it comes to getting rid of that much gold the best place to hide is in plain sight. 2 You need to get it past the tax-man so that you can openly spend the proceeds. 3 You want to realise maximum value. Full value or if possible a premium for giving it artistic/historic merit. The Treasure Valuation Committee in the UK is supposed to apply "market value" to items it assesses.
I chose to cast a single item because there is nothing to compare it against. All old coins have some wear, or were stamped in different places, using different dies. To effectively reproduce those conditions would be very time consuming and expensive. The same would apply to jewellery or chalices and plate. You then have to sell it and explain where you got it against a background of approximately the same amount of gold having gone missing. Carating down from 24ct has the added advantage of disguising the actual quantity.

The answer to my primary question, can you cast it in multiple pours is no. So I now have two supplementary questions.
How could my characters cast it in a single pour? (see question on reverb furnace or other suggestions)
A plausible explanation of how someone in the 10thC could cast it in a single pour

Steve, interesting thought. That sort of substance do you have in mind? Nothing organic will survive past melts temperature so carbon dating is out. I have arranged for some pieces of bog oak from Ireland to be discovered at the find site, to suggest an origin for at least some of the gold.

What is a "reverb" furnace? where would I get information on building one? My characters would use propane as the heat source and in the UK it comes in 47Kg cylinders. With four high pressure burners a cylinder will last 5.2 hours, and doing the calculations there is enough energy in a single cylinder to melt the gold if the heat transfer efficiency is only 17%. I have no experience no casting which is why I'm asking you guys.

The comment on isotopes is valuable and I will research it further, but my first instinct is the omit this from the text so that any real thieves who don't do their own research are looking at 20 years. Collecting that much gold in one place in the 10thC would require getting it from many places, so the isotope ratios would be totally screwed up anyway. One of the plot arguments against the alter being genuine is who in history could have amassed so much gold, and why no documents or rumour of it survives.

I know it would go immediately to the the British Museum for authentication before being passed to the Treasure Valuation Committee. Given the nature of the find it would probably be evaluated by several other academic institutions as well. A major sub-plot of the book is the reaction it would get their and the interplay between "the sceptics" and "the academics who want to believe" that this could have been made in the 10thC. That is one reason for needing arguments for and against. Forensic examination has moved a long way since the British Museum agreed that Piltdown Man was authentic, but even they are fallible.

Some technical points that I have already worked out.
The mould would be made using techniques described by Roger of Helmarshausen a Benedictine monk/metalworker in a book he wrote sometime between 1110 and 1140 (Fortunately already translated from the medieval latin)
The master pattern would be a timber case covered in lost wax. Beeswax for authenticity
Traces of the burnout would be left in the mould to find their way into the casting (my Irish bog oak again)
The mould would be a clay pit using local clay from the find site.
Any alter of this date (some much smaller ones do exist) would have exterior decoration applied. Champleve or Basse Tialle which are enamelling techniques similar to Cloisonne but using recesses rather than raised cells are my favoured options. I have research enough about the composition of the enamels used at the time to make this look authenic.

OK, I can't stand it anymore. It's altar, not alter!!
We "alter" gold in powder form with heat into gold in metal form.
(Well at least some people can. 8) )

An altar is a place of worship or sacrifice like the altar of incence
found in the temple in the bible. See Exodus 30:1 or just take
a walk through the book of Genesis where there are many, many
references to "altars".

Thank you. I will get off my soap box now.

glorycloud said:
OK, I can't stand it anymore. It's altar, not alter!!
We "alter" gold in powder form with heat into gold in metal form.
(Well at least some people can. 8) )

An altar is a place of worship or sacrifice like the altar of incence
found in the temple in the bible. See Exodus 30:1 or just take
a walk through the book of Genesis where there are many, many
references to "altars".

Thank you. I will get off my soap box now.

The whole point of this discussion was to alter the Gold. :mrgreen:

At the risk of suggesting an entire plot re-write, one which is much simpler as well, I propose the following:

Everyone is wary of gold-plated tungsten bars, but who would ever suspect tungsten-plated gold bars?

Have the crooks disguise the gold as a shipment of tungsten, filling out the pallet with whole tungsten ingots as necessary.

Once on the other side, the tungsten is stripped in an acid bath and voila: 2 tonnes of smuggled gold.

Thank you Irons, I have just looked it up and an Accelerator Mass Spectrometer can get a result from 1-2 milligrams so that requires a rethink.
The Saxons used to etch their gold to enhance the yellow colour. I will research what type of acid they used to see if that will remove traces of beeswax without leaving a residue that could be as easily dated.

I will have to go back through this discussion and alter alter to altar. I consider my hand slapped and am hanging my head in shame as I write this. Stay on your soapbox, I like pedants. I am one myself.

The Saxons used to etch their gold to enhance the yellow colour.

It's called depletion gilding. Still used today.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=depletion+gilding&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS259US259&ie=UTF-8

Attachments

• Depletion Gilding.pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 14
Back