Smopex for sale on EBay?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuwaysolutions

Does anyone know much about smopex? It’s supposed to pick up gold and platinum group metals. I looked online and it seems to be pretty expensive stuff like $15-$20 a gram. It’s $5 on eBay which seems reasonable if it works. If anyone has any info or experience with it please share. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting read. :arrow:

Attachments

• SILIAMETS-Metal-Scavengers(1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Smopex has been discussed on the board before, so there's a reasonable amount of information here as well.

The price as advertised on the board previously was 60-200 USD / kg, so obviously that's changed a bit.

:arrow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMOPEX-105-GOLD-SILVER-AND-PGM-RESIN-METAL-SCAVENGER-5-00-per-gram/182930509071?hash=item2a97820d0f:g:JFoAAOSwzsFaHEDW

Palladium said:
:arrow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMOPEX-105-GOLD-SILVER-AND-PGM-RESIN-METAL-SCAVENGER-5-00-per-gram/182930509071?hash=item2a97820d0f:g:JFoAAOSwzsFaHEDW
I asked for a sample and he’s sending me 5 grams for $5 shipping. I’ll post in about 2 weeks on if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smopex 105...

Recovery of negatively charged precious metals complexes used in complex reactions (Suzuki, Heck, Sonagashira). Recovery of precious metals from catalyst process streams, especially Pd, Rh, Ru, Pt, Ir, and Os. Also, heavy metals removed: Re, Au, Ag, Fe, Co, Cu, Sn, Cd, Ni, Pb, Cr, Zn, V, and Hg. Removal of alkyl and benzyl metal halides.

Sounds pretty useless to refining to me, just crash every metal out as a hydroxide if that is what you want. Even cementing on iron would produce a more pure product without the hassle of incinerating the polymers afterwards.
Smopex 105 has it's use in organic chemistry where you want to remove a metal catalyst from your finished product.

Using Smopex 105 for refining seems to be like using a wrench to hammer down a screw into a wooden board. You can do it but the result would be better if you used cheaper tools in a proper way.

Göran

Back