So what's driving the price of PGMs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With wider adoption of solar (cell) technology, more silver must be used.

Pt is predominant catalytic metal in NOx control for diesel. Diesel effect means negative sentiment towards (cleaner) diesel as public perception is that automakers have misled them as to “green” ness of their product; reflecting on the diesel tech as a whole.

Pd is predominant in gasoline catalysts.

Each metal has a purpose for three way autocat.

Diesel is much more Pt reliant.

Pd is more common than Pt so supply side/mine issues...I don’t get it.

Three Kings were lost in the desert. Each King had 7 camels, with each camel carrying 7 bars of London good delivery 400 Oz ingots of Gold. After a few days the camels dropped to the floor, and eventually died. The Kings ate whatever they could off the camels, and the rest rotted and dried away in the desert Sun. The next day the 3 Kings drank the last drop of water from their water bags.

Two days later a lowly shepherd appeared in front of the almost dead 3 Kings. He had 2 bags of water. He traded all the gold from the 3 Kings for 1 bag of water. The shepherd also had an AK-47 to protect his newly acquired wealth.

As a bonus he told the 3 kings in which direction to walk. The 3 kings walked in this direction and found a river of water 400 feet away from where they made the trade with the shepherd.

The 3 kings spent the rest of their lives cursing the shepherd that saved their lives.

Translation: Supply and Demand.

What are your guy's thoughts on the countries that are buying up gold? Is it possible we are seeing the beginning of the end of the fiat currency? How would a return to the gold standard effect PM prices? I know theres alot of manipulation in the markets and don't even get me started on the fed. I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Without going off topic and into political matters. Do we have any economists among us? This really interests me. Thanks all!

Looks like palladium speculators raise hands these days - cannot support price above gold's. When gold is strong nobody can stop it. I'd like to mention that for the mined gold to cover 1/4 (only) of all paper money, the price should be over $3000 an ounce

China. I hear that they are ramping up to make a whole lot of automobiles. Just something I heard though.

The rising gold prices (rising demand for gold) are definitely related to the underwhelming performance of bonds and other securities, lowering interest rates and increasing instability in global economics due to China vs. US trade wars... Gold currently is just so much more better alternative for investments... and I'd take a bet it's going to climb even higher than that - a welcome thing for most GRF users on one hand, but too bad that it could be coupled with lower industrial commodities prices (like copper) and eventually lead to global recession... well it's a circular process :)

Regarding palladium - it still seems to me that recent Pd price spike was due to a massive speculation in the market and without artificial help Pd price leveled out/started sloping down relatively speaking....

Lino1406 said:
Looks like palladium speculators raise hands these days - cannot support price above gold's. When gold is strong nobody can stop it. I'd like to mention that for the mined gold to cover 1/4 (only) of all paper money, the price should be over $3000 an ounce

Yes, gold will have to do a major accounting of all the fiat currency in existence. It's scary to think about, but as more and more countries dump the dollar as their reserve currency we're gonna see record numbers in gold and the growing pains that will come with the return of metals backed currency. And let's not forget that governments have confiscated gold from it citizens in the past. That in itself can worry some. I also believe silver will be on the launch pad in the near future as we've already seen it climbing even though its still ridiculously undervalued. Anyone else see the similarities in what's happening in the worlds current financial markets with ancient Rome? Debasing our currency, going off the bretton woods system, then completely off gold and now printing our currency into infinity. Could've swore this has happened in the past a few times, if only private bankers would stop rigging the "free market."

It is impossible to go back to a gold-backed currency now. Gold as basis for a currency became impossible a hundred years ago because industrialization let the economies grow at a rate that gold became a limiting factor. A small country could try but would create a currency that would fluctuate wildly with the international gold price, and a large country wouldn't find enough gold to back it's currency.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. A modern currency is backed by the economy of the country. Gold is just a commodity, just as pork or orange juice is. You can turn currency into gold if you want, just that the rate might vary according to the current gold price.

I can't see any country even consider to create a gold backed currency without anything less than a total break down of society, and in that case we probably have a lot more pressing problems to deal with.

Göran

Back