help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WONKYBALS

Hi everyone I'm new here and could really do with some help.

If I explain a little I am in now way experienced like you guys and I'm sorry if my spelling is bad or my grammar
so I hope anything I write does not read ambiguous.

I have been trying learn the process of refining gold without using dangerous chemicals which is difficult over in England to get chemicals now because of silly little idiots amuse them selves throwing it in peoples faces. I have tried to stick to my goal of no dangerous chemicals. since getting married in January this year were now planning to move so I need to purify my gold quicker .I'm at the stage where I have Inquatered it with silver and some copper also I have made it into buckshot. Trouble is I can not find the right place to buy nitric acid at 3% which I will dilute with equal parts distilled water. Does anyone know if I can buy nitric acid already mixed with distilled water for the job at hand or if I was to use a weaker nitric acid where can I buy it .
thank you so kindly for any help thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with where to find acids but if you find nitric acid at 3% strength, don't dilute it any more. Anything below 30% strength can be used just as it is, it's the stronger stuff that needs to be diluted.

Göran

As above, you really want your Nitric acid to be at least 30%, you would have to use a LOT of 3% HNO3 to dissolve any reasonable amount of Silver/Copper

How much inquarted Gold do you have ?

At the end of the day, there is not really any easy way to proceed while living somewhere where you can't get "dangerous" chemicals, makes this a very difficult hobby to pursue.

Just one idea, instead of quartering the gold with silver you could use copper, you could even use a high percentage of copper and flattening the shot with something like a cast iron mortar and pestle. the flatter the better, then use an iron chloride or a copper chloride leach to dissolve the base metals. Using 30% H2O2 or NaCLO as the oxidizer for gold...

What is the source of the gold you can always work on a process of recovery and refining with what you can source locally, or find a source for what you need?

What nitrate or other fertilizers can you get?

Have you checked locally maybe you can get some type of permit to purchase nitric, if not you could take a year and make a batch like your ancestors did to support their government's security...

Work a few weekends, helping your neighborhood farmers cleaning their barns, being sure to get all of the white crystals from the stall rock or brick walls...

Off the top of my head, with the exception of (most cases of)silver, you can adapt your processes or use other processes that you do not necessarily need nitric acid.

Have you studied Hoke's book, she has some helpful processes not normally discussed you may find very useful.

nickton said:
The biggest problem with inquartation is that it uses so much Nitric Acid.
Only a problem for guys that can’t get nitric, or industrial scale processing where there are cheaper alternatives.

For the average refiner, they are better off hitting the streets until they find a cheap source of nitric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

butcher said:
What nitrate or other fertilizers can you get?

Check with your local home center, farm supply or hardware store, usually something sold as stump remover is a nitrate that can be used as a substitute.

Look up poor mans AR on the forum, works quite well.

Back