Welcome In!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheila, I am sure you will find the forum helpful in learning more about the metals, the testing of metals and jewelry may of interest in your interest in the jewelry trade.

Name : Jamie
Sex : Male
Profession : Phone repair technician
Hobbies : gaming, micro electronics, gold refining (still new), family (also still new)
Interests : literally anything.. love learning new things.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :
So i have been refining gold for about a month.. but i have been researching how to go about setting up and starting for around 2 years, bought my first batch of RAM when i started looking into it, not really knowing where to begin with regards to chemicals. i went in with low expectations of what i would recover and decided that if i could break even on my first batch and still have chemicals left over i had beaten my goal... I'm still yet to find out though.
What are you looking for in our community? : more information and hopefully to eventually be able to give new comers a helping hand.
How did you discover our Forum? : google, google and google.. over and over again this site pops up.

Hiye I'm Rygo (Jamie). started looking into refining gold when i pulled an old CPU from a pc in my previous job and got sucked in by the colour.. Plus watching endless episodes of things like gold rush and gold divers. Living in the UK I'm never going to be able to get myself a dingy, sloose box and go diving for little flakes of gold in the english channel... but loved the idea of being a modern day gold miner. I believe thats what you guys are. always finding new ways to recover this precious yellow stuff.

got started on my first batch of RAM fingers about 3 weeks ago using the AP method (hard to get nitric acid in uk apparently). 3KG of ram cut to about 250g of fingers. i got stuck pulling the refined gold out of solution but worked out my problem (sodium metabisulphite needed, not what ever i accidentally ordered..) anyway. enough rambling.. off to read!

I took photos all the way through so I’ll pop up a thread once I have a finished button :)

Including what chemicals I used and weights etc but it’s pretty standard AP. Just nice to document it somewhere.

Harold_V said:
ME CO said:
Anybody done any refining of placer gold?

Yes, I have. Many, many ounces. Even some reclaimed with mercury. Is there anything I might be able to help you with?

Harold
Hello! I live in Utah. The gold I’ve been panning is so fine! 100+ mesh. I’d love to continue my panning hobby. It’d be more fun if I could learn how to process those little rascals. Thanks for all your insight and wisdom here! It’s been very enlightening!

Mar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name :Darin Gilbert
Sex :male
Profession :IT Network Engineer (retired) now doing auctions buying\selling and scrapping
Hobbies :music, reading, xbox one
Interests :learning the history of items I buy and sell
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :Have never refined but have been interested for a long time. First started thinking about it when I would scrap IT hardware and have kept that hardware for the day I could invest the time to learn how to correctly and safely recover and refine it.
What are you looking for in our community? :as much knowledge as I can gain
How did you discover our Forum? :After watching many videos on refining gold, and knowing that watching videos is not learning and having been a member of a scrap forum (very useful) searched for a gold forum

Hello every one. My name is Michael Gale, and for a long time I have been a gold prospector in the Upstate of SC. Prospecting in Ga,NC and SC. I have found a little gold in my 20 years of prospecting.All in all, about 20 grams is what I have been able to recover in 20 years. But for the area I am in, I am told that ain't bad. Well it was not what I was expecting to recover, you know, that placer load that someone just missed,or one that has just been formed over the last couple of hundred years or so. Well, it didn't happen, and now I am 61, so frolicking off to the mountains with dredges, sluice boxes and shovel, (never forget the shovel) is not happening anymore. The fusion in my back at where L45 and S1 used to be is now all bone and Titanium rods and pedicle screws. But,where I work, I am sitting on a E-waste gold mine. So now I have many PCB and access to many more computers,switches, hand held scanners and various other types of E-waste that this BMW contractor cycles out quite frequently. So,I looked into E-waste recycling and I eventually found this board. Recovering precious metal by chemical means is truly in depth and you have to really educate your self in Organic chemistry and go to the experts on this board who have been doing it for many years. I like to look for past posts and the like when I am endeavoring to start a project. I have read the book from Hoke, I believe that's the name,and several other articles and all the literature I can find. But learning from those who have already been there ,done that, and have all the scars and burns to prove it,those are truly the experts with the wisdom I hope to tap into. So, as an old prospector taught me how to find gold, where to look for it in streams and on land.How to read the history,and the stories, a river or creek or steam tells you about it's past. I will now once again learn from those who have lived through it and learned from it. Thanks. Sorry this is so long.

First of all I want to thank you for letting me in this forum and then to introduction part. I am just looking to start this work as part-time and very new at it. You can say that I know nothing yet but with the help of you all I think a day will come when I will teach others.

Regards
Unluckest person u will ever know

Luck may just be a state of mind, you make unconsciously,

If you are going to learn or even teach these skills to be sure to start with safety first, The chemicals and the reactions are dangerous and need special precautions and education to work with safely, the toxic waste generated if not treated properly has the potential to poison anyone drinking from a river, bathing in it, drinking well water form contaminated soil...

Welcome to the forum the best place to learn to do these skills safely.

Name : Ryan
Sex : M
Profession : Many - primarily govt intelligence, Software Dev, Product Management, RE investing
Hobbies : Poker, learning, crypto,
Interests : Gold recovery!
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : Fresh newbie...have acquired some recovery material, built a fume hood out of an acrylic fish tank (that was fun), purchased materials and ready to learn what to do with it all!
What are you looking for in our community? : Many many many answers! I want to learn and improve upon the best ways to recover and refine gold from multiple different types of scrap.
How did you discover our Forum? : Researching gold recovery.

Name :Kelly
Sex :Male
Profession :Driver
Hobbies :Construction of all types
Interests :Understanding the why of how things work

I am less than a novice in recovery/refining. I got hooked by a couple of youtube videos. I am by far not the sharpest tool in the shed but i believe with the knowledge and experience available in this forum, I can be honed into something special. I have been interested in precious metals for several years. Covid-19 has placed a bit of emphasis on moving it to the forward.

Welcome to the forum Kelly,

I also have always liked to learn how things work, in this field of work and in learning how the chemistry of metals work, and even learning how the chemistry of rocks work and how gold is formed and deposited is not only a great education but a true adventure, I cannot say it will always be profitable in dollars, but the education is priceless.

Welcome Kelly.

Just be careful about those youtube videos. Some of them can make things look very easy while leaving out all the details that can kill you.

I wish you were closer to southwest Ohio. I have some construction projects that need done, and it's tough to find anyone to take them on right now.

I'll take the shameless opportunity to link you to the Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum thread. It's a good place to get off to a good start.

Dave

Hi everyone.

Name : Tobias K.
Sex : m
Profession : IT (development, project management) + Healthcare (nurse)
Hobbies : no special hobbies. depends on what i want to do at the moment (e.g. fishing, home-network, ...)
Interests : computer, new technologies, medicine, precious metals, bitcoin, ...
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : a few years (interest), 0 (refining)

What are you looking for in our community? : at the moment I'm mainly looking for information about the refining process (read and learn). guess it will take some time ;)

How did you discover our Forum? : google

Hello everybody,
my name is Michele and i live in Italy.
i have worked for a while as experimental physicist before passing in the IT sector.
i'm curiosity driven so my interests are a lot, they include Information technology ; physical, chemical and biological science, mathematics; mechanical and electronics engineering, and other stuff.

Before to present myself with this message, i waited some months in order to read every useful section and thread, in particular, how to stay safe and all about gold and PGM recovery and refining ( AP , HCL-Cl methods, precipitants, flow-chart and so on).
i had some previous knowledge in inorganic chemistry, coming both from experiments and theory, ( my first use (and my own production on little scale) of diluited sulphuric acid was when i was 12 years old. but i am still alive :wink: )

How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :
I like all the elements of the periodic table (except the halogen elements) and hence precious metals too. i started to scrap electronic waste since when i was a child, just for fun and curiosity, but i find this forum only now because the covid-19 emergency.

What are you looking for in our community? :
increase my knowledge at first and i hope to give something back to the community.

Thank you for your attention
M.

Welcome to the forum Michele,
Education is the key to getting gold, and recovering and refining it safely, the forum is a great resource where we are all learning and sharing.

I think you will fit in here well on the forum as you already love to study, and these skills are something you can enjoy studying for the rest of your life and still find more to learn...

Gold is where you find it, Education helps us find it, manage or manipulate it, so in a sense, our education is the real treasure or treasure map.

Looks like you on the right trail towards that gold vein of information.

Back