Iodine leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I have to add that I can not take credit for this process as I was just following what other members did before me - they may have more experience and could post their input to how to use this leach the best. Kudos to owltech as I was inspired mainly by his videos.

If you want cheaper and fast process, and have larger objects (larger than pins) you need to check this post made by ION 47:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=28686

This is my attempt to recreate process he mentioned there.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVbX6VIFcNg[/youtube]

Kurt,

Registration with the DEA is for manufacturers and distributers of listed chemicals. End users of the chemicals only have to provide information and provide proper ID. For example, a local pharmacy sells Codeine cough syrup OTC. However, if you try to buy more than two bottles within a 30 day period (I think this is the right amount and timeframe) you will not only be turned away, but you can expect a visit from law enforcement. So as long as you show a legitimate use for the iodine you are purchasing, it shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it has the same implications as obtaining acids. Wholesalers want federal or state business tax ID numbers so are exempt from collecting retail sales tax. And they don't ship to residential addresses. Just my two cents.

Lane

I2 leach can also be used with organic solvents, including DBC.

The gold is recovered by boiling wherein the iodine sublimates, AuI3 decomposes and metallic gold left behind.

Lanec84 said:
Kurt,

Registration with the DEA is for manufacturers and distributers of listed chemicals. End users of the chemicals only have to provide information and provide proper ID. For example, a local pharmacy sells Codeine cough syrup OTC. However, if you try to buy more than two bottles within a 30 day period (I think this is the right amount and timeframe) you will not only be turned away, but you can expect a visit from law enforcement. So as long as you show a legitimate use for the iodine you are purchasing, it shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately it has the same implications as obtaining acids. Wholesalers want federal or state business tax ID numbers so are exempt from collecting retail sales tax. And they don't ship to residential addresses. Just my two cents.

Lane
I broke my back 6 years ago and required narcotics for pain. Fast forward to a few months sga and my dentist gave me a script for a pain killer.

When I went to have it filled the pharmacist refused because she said the DEA had two files on me. One in Florida where I used to live and one in South Carolina where I am now.

Had to sign an affidavit that I was no longer in Florida. By the time it cleared I no longer needed the pain relief.

Point is the DEA does keep records on Individuals. I don't know what the threshold for chemicals is but I am sure it could be low for precursor chemicals.

That said I have purchased Iodine crystals and Ki from Ebay. Both in small quantities.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Patnor,

Thanks for this very informative thread. I'm long time reader on this board and still only collecting material but not ready for refining.
When the time is there I will start. The time will be ready when I have done enough study and reading and have collected enough material to work on.

Enough about me, I have a question. I have also seen a thread from you about Eco-Goldex E Series (years ago) and this Iodine leach reminds me to that thread . How do you compare/feel about both methods on processing plated items in terms of:
Availability in Europe (I believe you live in Europe).
Price.
Precipitating the gold, how do you check there is gold in solution left?
Known pitfalls?
I remember you were very positive about Eco-Goldex E Series. I ask this because I see several options to process plated items but more options makes it harder to decide what is the best way for me. I stay in Holland and have to keep in mind what is there available and what not and that will be part of the decision.

Thanks for your time,
Bob

Did you happen to notice the thread right below this thread? “Eco-Goldex” is in the title. Give it a read.

Time for more coffee.

bvdsluis said:
Availability in Europe (I believe you live in Europe).
Both processes chemicals are available and can be bought on ebay for example.

bvdsluis said:
Iodine leach is more expensive however can be reused couple times so the price is lower considering few runs out of one leach despite initial investment. But even while it is more expensive the price still is not extraordinary.
Secondly, I think there was some sort of consensus reached in our discussions at that time that there is no need to go for ecogoldex of any series as it is basically ferrocyanide leach and whatever it does it can be done with straight ferrocyanide without the hassle of dealing with other chemicals present in ecogoldex. Ferrocyanide can be bought quite cheap.

bvdsluis said:
Precipitating the gold, how do you check there is gold in solution left?
I am not formally educated in chemistry but I am quite confident that when I drop gold out of iodine and solution is clear that pretty much mean there is no gold left in solution. I may be mistaken but then if some of the gold remains it is going nowhere as solution is going to be reused.

bvdsluis said:
Known pitfalls?

Ferrocyanide or ecogoldex require delicate balance of UV light, oxidation and PH level. It works but it will take some time to master it and for me personally based on my experiments iodine is much faster. I mean really faster. What I observed though is that reused solution is a little less selective and dissolved gold but also nickel layer. I need to play with it a little longer and find out if a little addition of either iodine or iodide will make a difference. (I think it should)
Couple of weeks ago I did some experiments with ferrocyanide and while it worked it was painfully slow. There was not much of sun and while it worked it was really slow. My other experiments with ecogoldex where much faster but still slow compared to iodine. I literally could not keep up with removing stripped material, washing it and putting in new. I do not experienced any pitfalls with iodine yet so only time will tell.

bvdsluis said:
I remember you were very positive about Eco-Goldex E Series. I ask this because I see several options to process plated items but more options makes it harder to decide what is the best way for me. I stay in Holland and have to keep in mind what is there available and what not and that will be part of the decision.

Thanks for your time,
Bob

I have nothing against ecogoldex but knowing that it is basically the same as ferrocyanide leach I see no reason to use it when you can get ferrocyanide and use just that. Compared to iodine well gold drop is pretty easy and straightforward with no need to go through extra steps and procedures which ecogoldex require.

Hi Patnor,

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive and clear reply. This is what I was looking for and I hope this will benefit other readers as well.

Kind regards,
Bob

Hey Patnor,

I tried your iodine/iodide solution. It worked pretty well. I have now a solution cotaining 600mg/L of gold.

The problem is to drop gold with ascorbic acid. I introduced about 7 g of AA (I read a publication which said that AA/Au molar ratio of 15 is optimal) but nothing happened. I do not have a clear solution as yours. Any idea ?

Best regards,

Re : I'm sure the problem is that my solution is too much I and KI concentrated but I used the same amount of KI and I than you. I'm really suprise you obtained a really nice clear solution with all the iodine there.

Add more ascorbic to it.
Stir in more till it dissolves and then leave it to sit overnight. Your gold should be settled on the bottom.

So, when ascorbic acid is used to precipitate the gold from the Iodine solution, the solution can be rejuvenated…

When SMB (sodium metabisulfite) is used to precipitate the gold, can the solution be rejuvenated, and how?

Thank you!
Phil

Does anyone know the amount of plated gold jewels which can be treated with one liter of this solution (ratio 10:4:1) ?

Does one liter is enough to treat 1 kg of gold plated jewels ?

Back