Metallurgy Masters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmk88

I was debating whether to post this here or in ideas...

But wouldn’t a reality show on metallurgy similar to like, the cooking reality programmes be a good idea?

Hoke said something super inspiring along the lines of “I’m a master of metals. I can manipulate any metallic solutions to separate each one with a great efficiency”. Wording may be off slightly. I believe it was in a newspaper from a long time ago.

A good programme would be something like giving a group of competitors a set amount of filthy solution full of oxides and hydroxides to separate out with the winner being the one that is able to most efficiently produce noble/precious metals at the end?

I would love to watch/participate in something like that. Other ideas would be they are taken to a place with lots of junk material to choose and process. It could be individuals or teams?

I think it would be a popular product.

It could be very popular in this group of people and its affiliates :mrgreen:
But it may be off the territory within the general populous.
I may be completely wrong though 8)

No what I’m talking about is different....

It wouldn’t be about e waste or home refinery.... on the contrary. It would be a competition for people that are above hobby level...

They are given say 4K of metal wastes mixed, iron, copper, silver and gold. Each has the same amount of metal. The task would be to separate each one and melt into metallic form. The one with the highest overall efficiency wins. Could even chuck platinum in just to really separate the pros.

I don’t think it would expose industry processes either.

It would simply be based on metallurgy rather than PMs. Nor would it need to even discuss source of material.

I’m talking purely from a skill perspective. In fact... it would be quite a good opportunity to express just how dangerous and destructive the practices can be.

I think people find other peoples abilities and intelligence interesting.

I’m not sure every one would see a mix of metallic oxides and want to try to separate them! But I think they would enjoy watching it.

I agree people today do have very short attention spans, as well as expect everything to be quick and easy, or just given to them, not willing to put in the years of labor needed to learn a skill, like expecting to learn how to recover and refine metals precious metals from toxic solutions for example from watching a few youtube videos...

Seems we spend more time and trouble trying to get these fellers out of a mess than we do helping them learn these skills.

Then there are the few individuals that overcome their own gold fever and buckle down to learn these skills, those with longer attention spans who were willing to put in the hard work to learn. Who also seem to be the individuals that spend a lot of their time trying to help others learn a little of these skills without poisoning themselves.

I guess I have a very short attention span too, I would not wish to waste my time watching some videos of some guy trying to extract metals and recover them from some toxic mess they made, I feel I have better ways to waste the short time I have left to learn more.

I don’t really bother even trying to help them people. It’s a waste of time.

I’m not really talking about a guy that’s made a mess... I’m talking about a purpose made mess.

You lot just don’t have my vision basically....

I’m always ahead of the curve.

Follow the link Kurtak provided. Michael provided his email address. If he still works there, he may still be interested.

Time for more coffee.

It was a joke Dave.... lighten up.

Why are you always so full of joy?

And anyway who would even find that offensive? What are you a princess?

“Why do you feel a need to insult those who disagree with you?”

Dave

Dave don’t think you can do me like you did Jon.

:lol:

Lou said:
We colonists just have trouble understanding you Brits’ advanced humo(u)r.

I have relatives that are English. I understand this statement. Except that it is not “advanced”.

Time for more coffee.

Jmk88 said:
Dave don’t think you can do me like you did Jon.

get your head out of your butt, Jon was miles higher & better for this place than you'll ever be, some nerve you have comparing you to himself; and yet his arrogance got the best of him and, sadly, he left... though, I liked to poke fun at him and did disagree a lot, I must admit, since he choose to leave I find this place has lost a bit of the fun and with it some pull for my interest :(

now I come here for the convenient kitco ticker, mostly :)

I was sure sooner or later there will be another rebel to challenge the authority and rustle up this place a bit, I just hoped that he will bring along something else than just plain toxic ungrounded arrogance ;/

Jmk88 said:
No what I’m talking about is different....

It wouldn’t be about e waste or home refinery.... on the contrary. It would be a competition for people that are above hobby level...

They are given say 4K of metal wastes mixed, iron, copper, silver and gold. Each has the same amount of metal. The task would be to separate each one and melt into metallic form. The one with the highest overall efficiency wins. Could even chuck platinum in just to really separate the pros.

No - what you are talking about - is the same thing as proposed in the thread I posted a link to

Whether its a show like Gold Rush - or Moonshiners - or Gold Recovery from E-waste - or refining in general - it's ALL about competition

At the end of a Gold Rush show - which competitor got the most gold at the end of the week

At the end of Moonshiners - which competitor got the best/most distilled spirts

Locker Wars - in the end it's a question of which competitor (storage unit buyer) got the best find

Etc. Etc. --- ALL these shows are about competition

If you read the "whole" thread I provided a link to - you will see that at first I thought it was a bad Idea - but then changed to actually trying to "promote" the idea

Here is the problem - in order to do such a show - the producer (like Discovery) has to have competitors (they prefer at least 9 --- or more which can be weeded out to 4 - 5) AND they need them ALL to be with in a few hours drive (prefer no more then 3 - 4 hours) of each other

That is so that they can go from one competitor to the next in order to cover/record each competitor for the results of a one week show --- in other words - you need to find enough competitors in a relatively small area for them to first look at - & then weed them down to a number needed to actually do the show

In other words - to do a one week show they need all the competitors to be relatively local - not spread all over the world

At least that is what Mike (from discovery) told me when I talked to him on the phone --- he told me (because I lived in Wisconsin) we could do the show IF (big if) I could find enough competitors within a relatively small mid west area of the USA --- on the other hand - if the only other competitors I could find were spread out all over the greater USA they (Discovery) would not be able to do the show because of time constraints going from competitor to competitor to do a one week show (each week)

Just my two cents - based on my actually talking to (Mike) an actual producer of these type shows

In other words - likely not going to happen

Kurt

Nick Neims is definitely Jon’s other account.... I’m just saying.

Or his boyfriend. One of the two.

Back