Many Au/Pt/Pt precipitate failures over and over

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, sorry about that.

Have you ever heard of Monster Cables?

Thank you for your feedback, really appreciate it!

Attached my first hand poured silver. It is 4Ozt total combined.

I will look more at other posts before writing again.

Cheers.

IMG_20200703_152248.jpg

Hello,

One small comment if I may: the only part I do not consider polite is when someone implies sarcastically that I am lying.

So please a 3 min video showing a summary of the messed up text: https://youtu.be/-2VyPKDSNK8

https://youtu.be/-2VyPKDSNK8

Also, below is an image of a similar Monster Cable I started off with:
classic-monster-cable-m850i.jpg

Please note at the very end a regular medicine tube with my current plated and filled gold from computers and cables. AS of now it weighs 100g. Will process when reset is complete.

I really can't say anything about other peoples intentions,
but to me it seemed clear that they felt your post was fragmented and confusing, which it was.
So you was asked to summarize it a bit so we easier can get a proper overwiev on what you have done.
This will directly influence how we can help you.
There are soo much different flavours of scrap out here, that it is completely likely that someone did not know about monster cables, not all people are audiofiles you know.

I've never heard of Monster Cables, and just for the heck of it, I went and checked my little truck and I actually own a couple pair of them. I guess that's what I get for just telling the guys at the local shop to "just make it sound right".

I don't think anyone felt you were lying about anything, some of us just could not follow your description well enough to feel comfortable in offering advice. It happens some times on a forum. It becomes even more complicated when we get busy and rushed, but still try to make time to chip in here and there when we can.

Seeing that picture I realize that I have one or a couple of the same brand of RCA cables in a box somewhere. My first association when I read monster was a big connector, like in "monster trucks". It definitely is gold plated.
I throw pieces like that in a box for larger pieces that I'm going to run in a sulfuric deplating cell. Running stuff like that one by one gives you a great feeling for how thick the plating is. I even think I might have done a couple last time.

If you felt that I was implying that you were lying, you got it wrong. But I think you have got the gold fever and doesn't listen to advice that doesn't tell you what you want to hear. We see it all the time on the forum.

That video was as as organized as your previous post, I couldn't get a grip of anything else than you got a number of quite big buckets with unknown content and that you know what zinc is. I watched for two minutes until I gave up, I could barely hear you over the water in the background. The testing was done with a white plastic dropper... on a green spot on the table? Couldn't read the text on it or hear what you were saying.

Have you done any stannous testing yet?

Göran

I still cannot understand what is going on even after seeing the video, and attempting to re-read this thread.

What is it you are trying to do?
Are you trying to recover values from one mess or multiple attempts?

Where are all of the valuable metals you are mentioning coming from (not those stereo cable connectors) where did the silver and possible suspect of the platinum group come from, what was the source of scrap material?

How many different toxic solutions are you dealing with?

Looks to me your just chasing your tail and not going anywhere.

Try discussing one solution or mess at a time, describe it from the beginning of how it came to be.
It may be that you can mix some of the toxic solutions together and recover the values using copper before treating it for waste, without knowing the details of what solutions you are dealing it is hard to give advice.

Maybe if we can understand what your doing we could help.

Thank you very much for your attention and super valuable feedback folks.

@PARKER113 is having the same problems I failed to explain. Let's close this thread and for certain I will learn from there and try to make better questions.

Cheers

If the solutions can be mixed safely without problems, you could just cement out values and treat the gallons and gallons of waste solution.

Treat any ammonium solutions separate from the other solutions, or acidic salts.

During the process, you will recover any values from the previous mistakes and clean up the toxic lab.

Now after seeing that recovering these metals from solutions and then refining them it is not as simple as presumed, we can go back and start from the beginning to get it right, going back to studying and learning from our mistakes, before jumping into another mess unprepared to deal with it.

Then I would begin to study on one of the simple materials like memory fingers, karat gold, or sterling silver.

Working with easier scrap that involves less problems to deal with and will be easier to learn on.

Study each process well to get a good understanding before you begin.

While studying Hoke's book. work with the getting acquainted experiments, to gain a better understanding of how the metals react in different solutions or conditions, you can do these types of small scale expieriments with other materials such as electronic scrap to gain a better understanding.

Thank you very much indeed!!

I am doing that right now: I have 3 small containers with black precipitate from the various Gold and PGM mistakes (about 1lb, including moisture and filters), red precipitate from Pd mistakes (150 g), and the other red precipitate I mentioned was PGM, it is actually Ag₂CrO₄. Well, I did not know where the Ag from plate flatware, now I know. I will finish precipitating everything and keep salts/cements in respective containers.

I am taking steps back before I go refining those (will start with Ag, did not find Ag₂CrO₄ treatment in Hoker's book though).

BTW, I have graduated on Ag already. From those buckets in the messy video, it is where I have a good amount of cement Ag). I have even poured my first 3 bars, about 4.5 Ozt total (best thing was to see that huge amount of cement to convert into "just" 3 little bars).

Thank you @butcher and all of you for the attention. Lessons well learned.

Cheers

Back