Iodine leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When rejuvenating solution add peroxide in small increments. Slow.
It is exothermic reaction which produces heat.

patnor1011 said:
When rejuvenating solution add peroxide in small increments. Slow.
It is exothermic reaction which produces heat.
How do you know how much to add. Do use 32 or 35%. Is their a reaction or something else that indicates you have added enough to indicate it is rejuvenated?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would say that you will see when there is enough. If you will be adding in small increments, like couple ml at a time and stirring you will see it changing back to violet dark colour.
That is also why small increments are preferable you will see when there is enough.
Do not be impatient as adding more will make solution to become way too hot.
I also do have full strength peroxide and I have used it but as I said - be careful and do it slowly.

patnor1011 said:
I would say that you will see when there is enough. If you will be adding in small increments, like couple ml at a time and stirring you will see it changing back to violet dark colour.
That is also why small increments are preferable you will see when there is enough.
Do not be impatient as adding more will make solution to become way too hot.
I also do have full strength peroxide and I have used it but as I said - be careful and do it slowly.
Excellent. Thanks

Thanks Owltech :)
I have been reading this patent document.
So I'm thinking the Ammonium Iodide seems like the best route for most of us.
Hydrazine hydrate is not a very benign chemical to work with, and it may or may not be hard to get hold of.
So even if the Hydriodic acid route seems good with respect to the lack of chemicals introduced it may be expensive and difficult for most.
Ammonium Hydroxide is easy to find and then it is only the Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine which should be easy enough, at least for me.
The leaching for the Ammonium Iodide is done at near neutral conditions and are less prone to dissolve base metals. And when the Iodide is sufficiently "polluted" it si just to drop the Iodine out and regenerate.
At least as I have understood it so far.
Are there anyone here with experience withe the Iodine/Ammonium Iodide leach that can confirm or not, this for us?

I was able to purchase Iodine prills and Potassium Iodide crystals on e-bay... so I plan to run a test batch this weekend. I will saturate the solution until no more gold will deplate... I will post results!
I have been doing some searches and been gathering more great information...
this old thread help me a bunch:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=127&p=2701&hilit=Iodine+7%25+Leach+for+Gold#p1007

Thank you!
Phil

Looking forward to your results.
But within the topic, has anyone tried Amonium Iodine?
BR Per-Ove

As I review the information I've collected, and a post from Lazersteve in this thread:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=127&p=2701&hilit=Iodine+7%25+Leach+for+Gold#p1007
Here are some ratios I came up with from a University Document :
4g:2g:10ml - KI:I2:H2O Hot (70C) 280 nm/min
Steve
that means, according to those documents, if we use 300ml of distilled water... then we would need 120g of Kl: and 60g of I2. :? ...decisions, decisions!!!

Some input... please! :)

Phil

philddreamer said:
As I review the information I've collected, and a post from Lazersteve in this thread:
Here are some ratios I came up with from a University Document :
4g:2g:10ml - KI:I2:H2O Hot (70C) 280 nm/min
Steve
that means, according to those documents, if we use 300ml of distilled water... then we would need 120g of Kl: and 60g of I2. :? ...decisions, decisions!!!

Some input... please! :)

Phil
Phil,

From Patnor " Rick. I used in my video 300 ml od distilled water 25g of iodine crystals and 100g of potassium iodide"

It works in those ratios. Have only done a small test but it works.

Hi Rick!
That's the ratio I'm ready to use...
but knowing what was posted by lazersteve, and the info on the old thread, I was wondering if adding extra iodine would help dissolve the gold faster. In one of Owltech videos, he seemed to have a bit of problem dissolving the gold, so he added more iodine and it speeded up the dissolving.
I'm just trying to "start on the right foot"! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Rick!

Phil

philddreamer said:
Hi Rick!
That's the ratio I'm ready to use...
but knowing what was posted by lazersteve, and the info on the old thread, I was wondering if adding extra iodine would help dissolve the gold faster. In one of Owltech videos, he seemed to have a bit of problem dissolving the gold, so he added more iodine and it speeded up the dissolving.
I'm just trying to "start on the right foot"! :mrgreen:

Thanks, Rick!

Phil
When I did a test I swished a couple of ram sticks with the gold fingers still on and it dissolved in about a minute. You could try something similar before you change the ratios.

I will be doing more test soon. From what I have read as long as you have free iodine and are below 7 PH it is supposed to work.

According to before mentioned patent document the ratio in a Iodine - potassium Iodide etchant is:
1-4-10 with respect to Iodine - Iodide - water and it should be quite acidic if my memory serves me well.
The worst with respect to base metals are the Hydriodic acid leach which is around 0-1 in Ph
The Ammonium Iodide leach should be done between 6.8 to 7.6 and is quite benign with respect to base metals.
It is also quite easy to prepare new Iodide from precipitated Iodine.

004 (2).jpg
I started a batch using Patnor's recommended ratios. The Iodide crystals dissolved readily, the Iodine prills about 10 minutes.
005.jpg

006.jpg
...so I placed another pound of assorted plated material... done in 10 minutes!

I have a light grey sediment, so I'm letting it settle; then will filter and precipitate w/ascorbic acid.
009.jpg

to be continued!!! :mrgreen:

Phil

Nice.
That is the recommended ratio for I - KI and I - HI solutions.
You are using ordinary vitamine C pills and crush them or dissolve them?

Thanks, Bro!
I'm planning Vitamin C, though, I can use SMB. Restore with Peroxide and a couple grams of Iodine prills.

I plan to crush and add the powder... I'm used to do the same with SMB.
Plus, I don't want to add too much water when I rejuvenate the solution.

After filtering the solution, I separated in halves; I tried Ascorbic acid on the left and SMB in the right.
Here are the results:
017.jpg
After 15 minutes of stirring, no visible results with the ascorbic.

I proceeded to add SMB to the beaker on the right... quick change in color; and after stirring, gold started to precipitate in a little over one minute!
018.jpg
020.jpg

Will check the results in the morning.

Another note:
The gold, "dropped" with SMB, finished settling after 3 hours. I couldn't wait for the ascorbic to do its thing in the left beaker, sooo... I Cheated, and added SMB to it! :mrgreen:
The gold has precipitated, and is 80% settled.

I ran this batch because I had to find out how much gold can be dissolved with a 300ml of solution,
that way, I'll decide if it's worth the while for me to process about 100 pounds of pins and connectors using the Iodine leach. I ran 2.25 pounds of pins before the solution was saturated.
It took a little less than 10 minutes to de-plate the first pound; another 5 minutes to decant the solution, and place another 1.25 pounds in the beaker; poured the solution. Another 10 minutes, and the second batch was done!
I tested the solution to see if it was still "hot" but the item did not de-plate, so I believe the solution was saturated.
Guesstimating from the gold settled in the right beaker, I might be able to recover 3g... we'll see.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone contributing to this thread :G 8) 8)

Its "really good" to see a discussion going on about a process different from the so to speak "norm" of processes discussed :mrgreen:

So thanks Pat for starting this thread - as well as the contributions of Rick, Yggdrasil, Owltech, etc. 8)

And Phil - Sooooo cool to see you pop in on this one --- reminds me of the good old days 8) :mrgreen:

Since my move I don't really do much any more - might just have to go looking for some material to play again :mrgreen:

Kurt

Back