Metallurgy Masters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimdoc said:
Thank You.

You beat me to it.

I do not think Jmk88 is in any way a bad person. Just arrogant and self righteous. Similar to what I was before reality happened.

butcher said:
Due to his continually disrupting of the forum, Jmk88 has been given a month (ban) to think if he wishes to communicate nicely with the ole men of the gold refining forum and learn something from them.

Thank you very much butcher - it is truly sad that after coming back from his first banning & apologizing to the forum for what got him banned in the first place that he had to resort back to the same behavior

Maybe - if he comes back - he will become an actual contributing member

Over the years we have seen "some" come back from banning & become "good" contributing members - sadly - all to often they at some point resort back to their disrupting nature --- so guess we will have to wait & see

Anyway - thank you for putting an end to this - we can now get back to the purpose of this forum - which is discussing refining

Kurt

Well if you think I’m going to change my ways.....
I’m not.

I’m back but.... and this time I’ve mastered silver.

Every time you ban me I just up my game and learn something new.....

I have at that time, produced 5 200g bars of 99.95 silver cement. And I still think my tv show idea is a good one... haters are going to hate. Ducks are going to quack. Somethings you just accept and roll with it. If you don’t like ducks... don’t visit the pond right?

I maintain my point... anyone other than Lou that has commented on this thread need not contact me going forwards.

Good for you now if you can just refine your childish attitude (butcher edited your CHILDISH COMMENT)

If you can refine your attitude you will be welcome here, if not well then your choice, think about it before saying something else childish.

I don’t know....

The way it’s going... the next ban I’ll probably learn platinum.

: )

Why not just become a contributing member here and learn and share what you learn.
You have an opportunity not many have, why blow it to the wind over some foolish ego pride?
Let us stop the nonsense and spend our time learning and sharing.

We do not have time for games.

I know I’m joking....

We can all have a sense of humour. I’m the first to laugh at myself.

There really is no malice behind me!

Do you like my silver butcher?

Attachments

• 680C30FC-08F3-4070-B1D1-7EF3FFB6919A.jpeg
    680C30FC-08F3-4070-B1D1-7EF3FFB6919A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 102
It is hard to tell from just seeing pictures. it could be bread for all I can tell from here.

In any case, I am glad you are learning to recover silver, when it comes to the forum or recovering and refining of the precious metals, I do not joke around, I am glad to see you back, and hopefully we can get past this nonsense and get back down to some serious bussiness of finding and getting and recovering and refining.

Jmk88 said:
I’m back ... and this time I’ve mastered silver.

Every time you ban me I just up my game and learn something new.....

Well good for you - Glad to hear that in your time away you have "mastered" something else

I have at that time, produced 5 200g bars of 99.95 silver cement.

So you have managed to produce a kilo of silver (5 200g bars) - which you "claim" is 99.95

I say "claim" because you also said the bars were poured from silver "cement"

Normally/generally when we refer to silver cement it is a reference to a process using copper to "cement" the silver from solution --- this process rarely if ever produces 999 plus silver as this process generally results in at least some copper contamination --- generally speaking - cementing silver will result in silver that runs anywhere from 97 to at best 98.5 - which is then run though a silver cell to produce 99.95 - 99.99 silver

That said - it is possible to produce 99 plus silver by cementing with copper - but - it requires taking "very" specific steps in the process to cement the silver with little or no copper contamination --- &/or you can put the copper contaminated silver cement through some washes to clean it up to 99 plus silver

So - if you used copper to cement your silver - it would be cool if you could tell us how you produced your 99.95 silver bars from your silver cement - did you use "very specific" steps to cement your silver with a purity of 99.95 --- or did you do some washes to the cement to reach a purity of 99.95 --- or did you run it in a cell to reach that purity :?: :?: :?:

So if you cemented the silver with copper - please give us some "details" on how you went from silver cement to 99.95 bars because if you just cemented the silver & then poured the bars it is likely not 99.95 silver

On the other hand - your reference to silver cement could be silver you produced using the salt(or HCl) lye sugar process - which most certainly can produce 999 plus silver - is that the method you used :?:

In other words - tell us more about what you have actually done/learned in you time away --- I am actually interested

Kurt

I just cemented with copper and then I washed it all in very dilute sulphuric. Probably about 10% strength.

I then boiled in water washes and let settle before decanting.

I actually read the washing process here.

I haven’t melted it myself but a stone setter has taken 31 grams and he has said it tested at 99.95.

I haven’t melted because I washed my crucibles in dilute sulphuric which destroyed my crucibles.

I still maintain that a final wash in the filter of Ag cement with borax, nitre, soda ash solution (say 50 g/L borax, 25-50 g/L nitre, 5-10 g Na2CO3) is the best way to clean it up of most everything but gold.

Jmk88

I posted my last post before seeing your picture

I am not butcher but I hope you don't mind if I comment & I hope you will take it in the true spirit of trying to help you --- in other words this post is in "no way" meant to be posted with malice &/or disrespect

Whit that said - there is something "very wrong" with the silver in that picture

Two things that "stand out" in that picture - that tells me there is a problem is (1) it is so full of holes it looks like a sponge --- melted silver should be "relatively" smooth - with "maybe" a "few" holes as a result of oxygen being expelled when it is cooled - there are WAY to many holes for it being oxygen expelled during cooling (2) it is VERY gray looking - it should be MUCH more "sliver" in appearance

This is what your melted silver should look like (those are kilo bars)

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20150414_006.jpg
    WP_20150414_006.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
Kurt - that is not melted silver. It’s silver cement after washing in a stainless steel bowl and then being bashed out. A jug if you like.

Lou - I have lots of cement and I will apply your advised method.

Jmk88 said:
Kurt - that is not melted silver. It’s silver cement after washing in a stainless steel bowl and then being bashed out. A jug if you like.

Ok - that makes more sense - nice "solid" cake of cement in that case :mrgreen:

Kurt

Thanks!

I’m going to apply Lous kind advice after breaking it all up. I also have another jug to bash out.

niks neims said:
jimdoc said:
There are times when you click on that ticker to go to Kitco's site, and the price is very different than what was shown on the forum's ticker. I am not talking about a slight delay either, and it isn't all the time, so you never know when it is wrong. I would trust Kitco's site prices before the forum's ticker.

I hadn't noticed that; thanks!

Today, right now, it is showing Nov 10, 2019 at 18:20. That's a bit off, time-wise and price-wise.

jimdoc said:
niks neims said:
jimdoc said:
There are times when you click on that ticker to go to Kitco's site, and the price is very different than what was shown on the forum's ticker. I am not talking about a slight delay either, and it isn't all the time, so you never know when it is wrong. I would trust Kitco's site prices before the forum's ticker.

Today, right now, it is showing Nov 10, 2019 at 18:20. That's a bit off, time-wise and price-wise.

Yeah, 1460 doesn't sound right :)))
Looks like it glitches from time to time

niks neims said:
jimdoc said:
niks neims said:
jimdoc said:

Yeah, 1460 doesn't sound right :)))
Looks like it glitches from time to time

It is not a ticker.

It is not a glitch.

It is an ad that links to Kitco.

Got to pay the bills.

Time for more coffee.

Back