Iodine leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI ALL

how do you exactly handle with rinsing water...do you evaporate ...or precipitate as main liquor...or use as another part of source of new batch
Thanks for your imput

vav

To DNIdustry
I have tried to send you PM but its stucked in Outbox don't know why,than I have to posted here

Amonium Iodine problem
Sent: November 3rd, 2020, 8:21 pm
Recipient: DNIndustry

Dear sir,

I am not completly biginer,some methodes like AP,AR,drop with even oxalic acid, Sulfuric cell etc. goes well for me and I alreday recovered little more than 110gAu after melting but
I would like to ask you to help me with my NH4I composition.Regarding patent this should be clear or whiteish solution.
I read all available wires here in GFR about this topic as well as patents you mentioned and see some videos...but
even when I follow the amounts of ingredients exactly I am not able obtain NH4I as clear solution,thus I cant add suplemental Iodine to form final etchin solution
I took for first try all in 1/10 ratio.
50ml DI H2O add 35.1g Iodine crystals
start stiring at magnetic stirer
add 4.7g H2O2 30%
stiring in 1 min. slightly red color
add 9.7g NH4OH 25% in 2ml portions by pipet,
after 3rd additons no more clear solution only dark brown even after all 9.7g spent
continuos stiring didn help even after 3 hours
and there is still undisolved residue of Iodine at the botom of beaker.
Even in this state without adding last portion of 10g suplemental iodine
the solution strips my finger from old ISA slot in less than minute,but I would like to understund what I did wrong especialy when NH4OH and Iodine is envolved.
ALL ingredients are lab. grade from Lachner company.
I would like to use this method because some mine material is not suitable for sulfuric cell like smal connectors with pins traped in plastic which cause problems in sulfuric...
Thank you in advance,and hope you will spend some time to help me
Jan
[email protected]

vav said:
To DNIdustry
I have tried to send you PM but its stucked in Outbox don't know why,than I have to posted here

Jan, your PMs stay in your Outbox till they are opened by the recipient. Then they move to your Sent folder. It's not an error or a problem. It's just the way the PM system works.

Dave

Have DNindustry read your PM?
I do not have any direct input to your questions.
But since it strips the gold it can be used as is, cant it?
Have you tried to precipitate the gold?

Edited for spelling error

Thanks Yggdrasil for reply

No, PM is stil unopened.

Yes strips the gold,but the place where thiknes of gold layer is thicker is covered with black sludge after deplating and rest of pin is nicely silver shining__nickel layer.
Also I have same problem like Pat had with WhiteGrey sediment in the bottle of rinsing water.Don't know how to redislove this resudue {HCl does not work} and thus separete it from precipitated gold.

Vav, I don't think it's that no one is willing to help you. It's that most members have never tried it. I don't know if Patnor ever got it to work as he was hoping, and DNIndustry hasn't visited the forum in quite some time. If you try the process and work out the bugs, please let us know.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

For sure I will, onec I find the solutions of mine bugs.
Because everything I know about Recovery/refining I learned from ALL OF YOU here/
perheaps I will give small piece back to the forum later on.
Unfortunately I have no lab ,all I do outside at the garden,what is now impossible due to snow here,I have to wait at least for 10deg.C for my experiments to continue

SMB can be used too
hello owltech
1st timer needed help. i did my leaching 1:2:10 on gold plated pins got success in getting gold into solution.then i diluted caustic soda (10gms)into 15 ml distilled water and slowly added it into the solution stirred it well and left it for 10 minutes.then i dissolve 25gms of ascorbic acid in 20 ml distilled water and left it for overnight.nothing happened no gold drop no clear solution.can you suggest what to do now?

Phil,

From Patnor " Rick. I used in my video 300 ml od distilled water 25g of iodine crystals and 100g of potassium iodide"

It works in those ratios. Have only done a small test but it works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hello phil
what will be the next step for the gold containg solution to drop gold first timer pls help i am stucked

hello owltech
1st timer needed help. i did my leaching 1:2:10 on gold plated pins got success in getting gold into solution.then i diluted caustic soda (10gms)into 15 ml distilled water and slowly added it into the solution stirred it well and left it for 10 minutes.then i dissolve 25gms of ascorbic acid in 20 ml distilled water and left it for overnight.nothing happened no gold drop no clear solution.can you suggest what to do now?
Why are you adding NaOH?

can i use smb now??
SMB work only in acidic conditions. So I am not sure it will do the thing now. Ascorbic acid should work just fine for this - but you need to kill all residual iodine with it, and it takes some quantity of it. You should eventually see the solution to lighten in colour - iodine will be slowly reduced to iodides.

If you fail to recover your values with ascorbic acid, acidify the solution with HCl and then use SMB.

hello owltech
SMB work only in acidic conditions. So I am not sure it will do the thing now. Ascorbic acid should work just fine for this - but you need to kill all residual iodine with it, and it takes some quantity of it. You should eventually see the solution to lighten in colour - iodine will be slowly reduced to iodides.

If you fail to recover your values with ascorbic acid, acidify the solution with HCl and then use SMB.
thanks orvi i will eventually try ascorbic acid again.but if i fail then i will acidify it wid hcl and then use smb.but how much hcl n smb should be used pls clarify.

Back